Official GIGABYTE Forum

am2+ mobo choice

am2+ mobo choice
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:12:41 pm »
hello again,
After much research into a motherboard for my 940 quad I have decided the 790 chipset seems to be the best option for my needs.
I have shortlisted a few boards but I am not sure on whether to go for the 790x 790gx or 790fx.
To be honest though there seems to be a huge price difference in the jump between the x to gx and apart from the onboard graphics I cant seem to see much difference anywhere else. The  GA-MA790X-UD3P has caught my eye for a very resonable price and I think the 940 would be supported straight out of the box. please verify if you know.
as This board and processor is a stepping stone I like how the board would also support the 955 and six core processors which will be my next move before I go the whole hog and jump to DDR3 with a new mobo.
What are the main differences between the x gx and fx and is the board i'm looking at a good option.
I have looked at the MSI dka790GX and saphire 790gx and also the asus and to be honest I could buy a gx for the price of a gigabyte x model.
Two things are keeping me with gigabyte though:-
1. I have a gigabyte board now which has served me flawlessly for over two years.
2. the amount of help and knowledge on this very forum gives me a 'safe' buffer of aftercare service that you just dont seem to find with other help forums.
Thermaltake X-aser Mid Tower , Intel E6600@2976Mhz, Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L, Nexus FLC-3000 R2 cooler, Asus EAH4830, Kingwin Mach1 800W Modular quad rail, 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, 2 x  Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB  Sata, HP 2159v - 21.5" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD display

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: am2+ mobo choice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:57:29 am »
Hi there

Found this info at Extreme Sytems and thought it made things pretty clear.

The important numbers:
First digit is the generation in the series (higher = newer)
Second digit is the level of performance (higher = enthusiast, lower = budget)
Third digit indicates updates, revisions, or new features (higher = new features since the previous one)

The important letters:
F = Fast or "F'ing awesome," basically a good overclocker
G = has onboard graphics
X = CrossFire capable

The 940 is supported on the GA-MA790X-UD3P out of the box and with BIOS updates it will also support the currently available Hex Cores. As a stepping stone it should serve you well.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.