Official GIGABYTE Forum

Fedora not installing ?

sharris

Re: Fedora not installing ?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:04 am »
I decided to go with Ubuntu 9.10.  All versions will install with-out a problem.   I installed them all from 9.04 and up just to see which one I like best since I have copies already burn on CD's.

The latest version is Ubuntu 10.10.  I prefer the Ubuntu 9.10.  Anyway, I notice at the very first boot, strange things happens very fast.  It will show a bunch of lines saying bad SuperBlock and those lines get over-written before your eyes within a second than the thing will boot to a good working clean system.

I suspect that this is the problem with Fedora or any other Linux with a GUI.  Fedora just do not know how to recover.

It's just like trying to install Windows-XP on a new machine (2010 or latter) and we all know for a fact, Dollar Bill don't go backward.  If he did, nobody would need to buy windows-7.

It WILL NOT install because todays machines are build to run the latest operating systems like Windows-7.  Windows-XP knows nothing about this modern hardware, just like Fedora.  It would take some doing to get them install and it's just not worth the time.  My concentration is going into learning how to use ASM and the ggc-compiler to do battle with the FreeBSD kernel and that's more than enough to worry about.  I use Linux ONLY an disk-keeper and they all can do what I need it to do anyway.  Fedora got lot's of catching up to do if it wants to ride today Gigabyte machines.  I read into  their forum.  Bottom line, it's a software issue and you can bet at the very lease, Red-Hat knows it already.  There code could even be broken far as we know.

Thanks for all your help.

It works!  My machine are back up and running.  I will be using all of your info you posted to accomplish other things.  I never knew how deep it could go other than the CPU and MEM.

Thanks again

Christoph

Re: Fedora not installing ?
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 10:40:09 pm »
GOOD

I tried Ubuntu 10.10, is pretty nice, very easy and fast to install

and yeah, I can say that Fedora has issues and actually Fedora was the only one that I had trouble with, but I worked around and get it to install, it took me some hours trying.

I thought that you really really like fedora and that's why i didn't even mentioned any other distro, cuz that actually was not the solution to the problem

but at least you can work with what you have right now so that is good enough

Take care