Official GIGABYTE Forum

Need an rma. Whats the estimated turn around time?

jonj678

Need an rma. Whats the estimated turn around time?
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:34:23 am »
Hello,

The motherboard is the X58 UD5. The terminal fault is that both ethernet ports have abruptly expired, there is no sign of them under windows or ubuntu. This is not a driver problem, nor an issue with cables or with the router. The board is not overheating.

Prior to this it was taking increasing lengths of time to post, up to a minute or so. While irritating I ignored this. Unfortunately dead ethernet ports is rather more inconvenient.

I'm going to start whatever online rma process Gigabyte run, but experience of other brands points towards official forums being a more useful place to look for support than the rma request. I hope that this will be a swift process.

Cheers

Jon

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Re: Need an rma. Whats the estimated turn around time?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:15 am »
Hi

Turn around time is usually 2 - 3 days when you send single product directly to us.
When sending through your dealer/shop it maybe 5 or 6 days more than above because dealer would wait for more goods to come to save his shipment costs.

P.S. In some occasional cases when we can't repair the product and need to replace it then it could be up to 2 weeks, but it happens very seldom.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

jonj678

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:20 am »
2-3 days would be good news indeed. RMA was accepted via email, shipped out on Friday and guaranteed delivery by Monday afternoon. Dealing with you directly as the retailer was rubbish with my last rma to them.

I shall hope for the board to be back with me by Friday then. The repair is probably a trivial one, ethernet ports dying are a common enough occurrence.

Cheers runn3R

jonj678

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 03:32:16 am »
It took four days. Brilliant service, could not ask for more. Thank you.

I'm pleased to say I can now respond to Asus vs Gigabye threads with personal experience of 2 months vs 4 days for an rma :D

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:37:09 am »
Thats good to hear Jon, out of interest what did you do to get a RMA? Did you email them direct or raise a support request?
There's no place like ::1

jonj678

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:31:45 pm »
I emailed.

Unfortunately the fault remains. It's generally cured for a time by cmos reset, but remains present. Neither lan port visible in software or in windows.

Please advise.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:52:00 pm »
Sorry :-[

Did you contact RMA dept about this repair which had no possitive effect?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:52:50 pm by runn3R »

jonj678

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:25:27 pm »
I haven't done so yet. It's an intermittent fault which only appears to show after rebooting, and is mostly resolved by a cmos reset. Cheers for putting a button for that on the I/O panel by the way.

Some research online shows this to be a known fault with some UD5s, along with the standard fix of cmos reset. Unplugging and leaving the cmos battery out for half an hour was suggested as a permanent fix, but didn't work as such for me. It seems to be much less common than the cold boot issue though, and even with the two combined it seems a vanishingly small fraction of X58 UD5s are affected.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth shipping it off, given there's a reasonable chance it wont show up under testing, will feature about a weeks downtime which I really don't want (longer if it's deemed easier to replace the board than to repair), and that the shipping process probably costs more than a second hand nic.

I'm certainly annoyed by this, but a new ethernet card is probably the way to go. The board wasn't repaired incidentally, instead returned as no fault found. There was considerable photographic evidence supporting this so I have no problems with the previous rma and remain pleased with the service. It's unfortunate that the fault slipped through the net though.

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:32:14 pm »
Hi

Could you tell me RMA number for this repair for our internal tracking and checking?

jonj678

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:34:17 pm »
I've only just realised I never followed up on this. A bit late I know.

A solution recommended on another board was to leave the board without power, and the cmos battery removed, overnight. This resolved the problem. Well, either that or it's a coincidence. The nics have been reliable since, though I no longer quite trust them.

So, it appears I wasted your engineers time. My apologies, and thank you again for the swift turn around. 

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:51 am »
No problem. It's good to hear the issue is solved :)