Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-USB motherboard and OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) 1.65v

Hello.
I return again I am afraid. :-\

I have discovered a major issue with the GA-H55M-USB motherboard and OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) [OCZ3G1333LV4GK] - 1.65 Volts RAM

I think this incompatibility problem is the original cause of all the faults I have experienced over the past week or so trying to get my brand new system to work. (ref: other threads authored by myself).

Yesterday, I plugged in the above Motherboard after fitting the additional 2 GB OCZ RAM Stick, making 4 GB in total (the day before I was able to get the system to boot with 1 x 2 GB RAM stick fitted).
and when attempting to start the system I found that the board again would not boot.

So, I started a process of elimination and I removed the original RAM stick that I had got the system to boot with and replaced it with the newer Stick and attempted to reboot.
The system did not boot.

I then shut unplugged and swapped the better RAM stick back, and rebooted.
as the night before. I was able to get the board working with just 2 GB RAM however after 10 minutes the system shut itself down.

After rebooting. I did a search on possible causes for such problems and Memory problems did come up.
I thought this was unusual as the RAM that I had brought WAS on the recommended Memory Support List for that particular model.

However, after running the diagnostic tool (system stability test) known as Prime95.
According to the Prime95 support forum, the test results that my system returns basically said that the problem was the RAM.

I then did a search on the exact model of RAM and exact model of motherboard to see if others had experienced problems and how others had resolved the problems.

Now, the RAM model is as follows:
OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Low-Voltage Dual Channel (OCZ3G1333LV4GK) [OCZ3G1333LV4GK]
- 1333MHz DDR3
- CL 9-9-9-20 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
- Gold Z3 XTC Heatspreader**
- Lifetime Warranty
- 1.65 Volts
- 240 Pin DIMM

I realise that the RAM's voltage is 1.65v, which is higher than the ideal RAM voltage of 1.5v
however, as the RAM was still on the official recommend memory list, and I wanted a bit of extra speed to the system,
I thought that this configuration would be acceptable.

Now.
During my search I discovered that some people had attempted to resolve the problem by adjusting the settings in BIOS,
specifically the settings for the RAM.

In essence, these changes to the settings overclock the RAM slots, which although not ideal, is advertised as a feature of this specific board.

I have not yet followed this same approach, as I am not keen with messing with the settings.
Please could  an official Gigabyte Support representative advise me as what to do with this RAM.
If i need to adjust the settings on the BIOS. please can you give me advice as to the correct settings for this RAM configuration.

I using this RAM causes the system to be unstable, please can someone advise me as to what to do then, as I do not want to run an unstable system.

How do I stand with regards to getting a refund or alternative replacement for the RAM from the retailer?
Or is it's Gigabyte's responsibility to refund or replace the RAM because they are the party that officially recommended the RAM as being compatible with their Motherboard in the first place?

I would also like to add, that the original mother board was sent back to be repaired due to damage caused to the board during fault finding. If the RAM had been completely compatible in the first place and the system had booted with out problems straight out the box.
I would not have had to endure the fault finding process and the minor damage (if caused by me) would not have occurred.

Please help. Really, I not being funny. I am a very reasonable guy. However, I really think that I have a legitimate and reasonable argument here.

Please help.
Thanks
 ???

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

The first thing I noticed is that you purchased the two modules seperately. That won't help the situation as they should be a matched pair really.

The next thing is that it sounds like one of your modules may be faulty anyway from your description. If possible try running Memtest86+ on them one at a time.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 loops and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.
If you have any errors the module is faulty.
If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi mate.

Sorry about the duplicated post on the other thread.

Just to clarify regarding the RAM.
I inserted the 2 ram sticks at different times. I didn't buy them separately. They were both brought at the same time as a matched pair.
I only inserted them individually during the system building process in order to isolate the problem I was having.

I think that their must be some problem with them as when I insert one of the sticks, the system doesn't even boot.
Let alone allow me to boot into memtest86+

I am also aware that the voltage setting is different on the OCZ, which I believe may also be causing some instability problems.
I thought that this may not be helped by the mismatched BIOS settings and I requested for someone to recommend the correct settings for overclocking the board so that it can be fitted with this RAM without causing major instability problems.

Thanks again though for your help.
I am going to try and send this RAM back to the retailer anyway, as the RAM seems to be bad.
Hopefully the retailer will refund the money as I am now pretty sick of messing around with building PC's using faulty gear (as I am not doing it as a job, so am doing on my own time).

Otherwise, Hope you have a good week end mate.
Cheers

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Yes probably the best idea to RMA the memory. Personally I am not keen on the OCZ for these boards as I have seen alot of problems with people trying to use them and also their quality control doesn't seem as good as it used to be. If  possible I would try and swap for some Crucial or Corsair memory modules.

Let me know when you have the RAM replaced and we will see about setting them up properly if they don't like the default settings.

All the best.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hello again mate.
Back to my rescue. Thanks mate.
Cant be more thankful.

I will try and return these modules to Overclockers UK, however, I may have to take them to petty debts court, as they are being more than awkward regarding the earlier RMA for the enclosure that they sent me that came down damaged.

In total, I have now had to send them over 30 email messages regarding the problems I am having and I am more than fed up.

They have given me a load of excuses already and its only been a week since the original claim.

They originally asked me to send them photo's of the damage, which I did straight away.

They then told me to send it back to them but they wouldn't pay for the postage as they said those terms and conditions didn't apply to people who live in Jersey, which is of course absolute nonsense.

I finally got them to realise that I was right after sending them links to the Jersey and UK consumer law.

I sent the damaged goods back to them on Tuesday, and provided them with copies of the receipts and tracking information.
Still no replacement or refund.

The goods arrived with them on Thursday after noon.

Still no refund / replacement.

And now, I find that the RAM is also BAD.
I will now probably have to fight with them for another 30 emails to get them to replace these faulty RAM modules!

Dealing with such unprofessional people is absolutely ridiculous.
I really cant understand how such people keep their jobs or how such companies don't go down the pan through bad reputation.

Their Webnote system is also the most ridiculous system I have seen ever.
With user having to log on to send message, then wait for reply in their email, then send additional replies via their website again, which of course doesn't keep track of your order details or RMA claim number.

Now. either their web design needs some major attention, or one may think that their website has been specifically designed to prevent people from receiving their money back from the goods that they send out damaged.

I don't know. Anyway, I guess I am going to have to keep on battling,
however, having such an experience with BAD ram, doesn't give me much confidence in the stability of the other equipment, as I am now worried that all of the "brand new" components are faulty. (makes you think that perhaps the goods that have been sent out are  previously returned items that have already been claimed for).

This may be an unfair assumption, It may have all been coincidence.
I really hope it is just coincidence.

Anyway, thanks again.
At least your customer service is not at fault.
Cheers

I am presently considering getting a cheap flight to Newcastle and turning up at their office in order that I can speak to their managing director on a one to one. before having a private word with the incompetent individual that is supposed to be dealing with my RMA and orders.

Companies like these really make me sick, happy to take the money for the sale, which often isn't small amounts especially during this unstable economic era, and if anything goes wrong and they actually have to do some work replacing the broken/faulty or damaged goods that they have supplied as Brand New and in perfect working order, they are no where to be found.

This may be the way to get a quick sale, but it is no way to forge long lasting trading relationships.
Really.

But anyway, just a bit of a rant. Hope didn't offend you mate.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
No I can understand your feelings on the matter. Please let us all know how you get on in your fight to get things put right with these people. I am sure that you are not the first.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Sure. Thanks. Will do mate.
I will give them a chance to put straight what they have done wrong.
As I am reasonable.
However.
If they do not sort out their act and give me what I am entitled to,
and I go out of pocket.
I am going to make sure that they get as much negative publicity as possible.
I think that this is only fair.
Still, I shall give the required time as set in the UK / Jersey Consumer Law.
 8)

Hello again,
just to confirm.
Prior to sending back the RAM modules that I brought to go with the system,
Yesterday I ran them both through the RAM diagnostic tool Memtest86+.
And I have the following results:

Stick 1 > when inserted in any of the 4 RAM expansion slots, the system would not boot.
This test was done after I had reset the CMOS settings using the your advised method of removing the battery for 10 minutes,
resetting the settings using a reset jumper on the reset terminals, and then replacing the battery.

Stick 2 > When inserted in the RAM expansion slot furthest away from the CPU, the system booted into the memtest86+ diagnostic tool that I was able to boot the system from a USB Flash Drive.

I ran the RAM test for 10 complete revolutions of tests and the RAM tested as 100% successful (PASS) for each test.
Although, the tests did take approximately 3 hours to complete.

I therefore conclude that I have 1 bad RAM module and 1 good RAM module from a 2 RAM module set.

Today, I will be sending the RAM module set back to the retailer and request that they give me a complete refund.
I will then use the money to buy better quality and 100% compatible RAM modules.
As. although the enhanced speed of an overclocked system can be beneficial, the instability is not worth the extra performance.
Anyway mate.
I will let you know when I have new RAM sticks (and new enclosure) and hopefully a stable fast working system.
Thanks again.
 ;D

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Thanks for the update and please do let us know how you get on with different memory. I think as long as it is compatible all your problems will disappear.  ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Sure, thanks mate.
Think I will take your advice and buy crucial or crosair
Although, I think I am more likely to opt for the 1.5v standard modules,
either 2 x 2 GB or 1 x 4 GB
as although this may be slower than overclocking the board and using faster modules,
at least the system will Boot up and be stable!!!
What a nightmare.
Last time I buy OCZ RAM that's for sure. Their quality checking needs to be sorted out.
If I had a company, there is no way I would send out components that are faulty.
Its the best way to get a bad name for your company.
Perhaps their ancestors were on the bottom decks of the Mayflower! lol...
Thanks again.

Just a quick update dude.
Today received back the fixed Motherboard from your RMA department.

So, that's ready now for my no.2 PC for plugging into the LCD TV when I have enough money to buy another CPU and RAM.

As for the other bits.
I have returned the RAM and the broken enclosure to Overcockers UK, and await their testing, which takes up to 7 days, and when they have confirmed the fault. I will then have to wait up to another 7 days before they will refund the money or send a replacement.

In all fairness, they have been a lot better the last week or so, after I got them to look into consumer standards.

However, I am still a little bit cautious as I feel that they may return the damaged enclosure that they sent me repaired instead of with a replacement or refund (as I requested).

So, I guess we shall have to wait and see.
Shall keep you updated.
Thanks again.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
If you are within 28 days from purchase you are entitled to a refund in consumer law. If not you may have to accept a repair.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Sure. Thanks.

Overclockers UK have agreed to refund me the money for the RAM and also have agreed to send out a new replacement for the BiFenix Chassis which I think is acceptable.

I mean I do think that the BitFenix enclosure has some design flaws in terms of how it is constructed, but I agree that this isn't the fault of Overclockers. So, I have accepted a replacement (not that they seemed to be offering a refund for this item at this point).

I think that BitFenix are an interesting new company who I wish to be successful, although, I think that in order to do so, they are going to have to examine some aspects of their enclosure design.

Otherwise, Thanks for your help.
I am now planning to buy some Crucial RAM 1.5v as a replacement. Ideally 1 x 4 GB Stick.

Thanks again for your help.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
You will need at least two modules to be able to run in Dual Channel mode and that does make quite a lot of difference to the speed.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB