HDD1 WDC WD1001FALS SATA2 2nd Port
HDD1 WDC WD1001FALS SATA2 3rd Port
HDD1 WDC WD1002FAEX SATA3 4th Port

OS Fedora 14
Kernel 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64
Drivers both OSS radeon and also currently using the ATI Catalyst 10.2

Primary Display is ViewSonic VA2250w-wm-LED
Alternate Display is VIZIO VA220E FHDTV 22"

I decided that I wanted to be able to watch videos from my hard drives on my VIZIO TV which is ~30feet from my desk/PC. It is not recommended to use the analogue signal for that distance and I wanted to keep my ViewSonic on the DVI cable, I was unable to use the integrated video for the dual display. I purchased a HIS HD 5770 PCIe x16 card from Newegg. I installed the board and connected the ViewSonic to it and the VIZIO via HDMI to the integrated video. I changed the BIOS to initialize the x16 slot 1st (PEG) and saved it. The BIOS part of the boot (Post ) went fine and my bootloader's menu (GRUB) came up fine on the ViewSonic. I selected my kernel to boot and the screen blanked out as normal, but when it came back it sat there for a while before it displayed the following error messages:

boot device found

boot device found

Boot has failed, sleeping forever.

I also have received various other errors. I have tried moving the card to the x8 slot (changing BIOS to PEG1) with same results. I also had a Diamond HD 3650 PCIe x16 card that had worked on my old Gigabyte MoBo, on both PCIe slots. I even dug up an old nVIDIA PCI video card with same results. I then tried to boot from different Distro's and version LiveCDs and install DVDs. I even disconnected the 3 1TB HDDs just leaving the boot drive hooked up. I have switched back in forth between the proprietary and opensource drivers with no change.

1.Is anyone else running Fedora 14 on this board?
2. If so, what video setup are you using?
3. Anyone have any ideas?
Hey, I was born confused, what's your excuse? ;-\

Christoph

Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H boot problems
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:53 pm »
few things I don't get

1. you bought I video card and then you're using the integrated video on your board?

if you use either video device the other one gets disable

2. did you have Fedora running on your computer before this problem?

Bad2theBone

• Now, where the hell is that anykey?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 03:30:36 am »
few things I don't get

1. you bought I video card and then you're using the integrated video on your board?

if you use either video device the other one gets disable

2. did you have Fedora running on your computer before this problem?

1. I originally was going to use just the HD 5770 with 2 Digital outputs, since the onboard only allowed the use of one digital and the analogue for dual monitors. That is when I first encountered the problem. I am able to use both the onboard and the PCIe x16 card once the system is booted. I can only boot up from the onboard video.

2. I had originally installed F 14 about a few days after release on my old Gigabyte MoBo. About a weak later my monitor died, so I replaced my old ViewSonic 19" with the current 22". When I started the system with the new monitor the MoBo blew several caps. Had originally replaced it with an ASUS board and new RAM and CPU. Found out the PSU was also bad replaced that. (altogether 3 trips to the store). New MoBo was flaky not booting consistently so I exchanged that one for the same model which had the same problem. Exchanged that one for a different model ASUS which also had problems, this was even after reinstalling F 14. I finally took everything back and started all over with the now Gigabyte (Returned home to the Big G) mentioned in my OP and new CPU, RAM and PSU. Reinstalled F14 again even though it ran fine  without the reinstall. About a week ago my wife said it would be nice if we could watch our DVD collection that I have loaded onto my hdd on our TV in the room. So that is where it all started. Once I get started on something I usually don't give up too easily, I become obsessed with the "project".
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:34:03 am by Bad2theBone »

Christoph

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:49:37 pm »
so the problem seems to be the video output, I don't see why you only can boot up with the onboard video card

You never boot up with the PCI card? not even once?

if you can, why don't you use the second output of the pci card connected to the tv and use the TV as extended desktop?

but actually it seems that the problem is the HDD cuz the error you're getting (boot has failed, sleeping forever)

try checking the HDD for bad sectors, and try using the SATA controller on AHCI fro the HDD

as you can see, there's a few different things that seems to be the problem, so try to isolate the main problem

another thing you can keep in mind, is it possible that you can stream Video/audio over the LAN?

Bad2theBone

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:19:22 am »
so the problem seems to be the video output, I don't see why you only can boot up with the onboard video card

You never boot up with the PCI card? not even once?

if you can, why don't you use the second output of the pci card connected to the tv and use the TV as extended desktop?

but actually it seems that the problem is the HDD cuz the error you're getting (boot has failed, sleeping forever)

try checking the HDD for bad sectors, and try using the SATA controller on AHCI fro the HDD

as you can see, there's a few different things that seems to be the problem, so try to isolate the main problem

another thing you can keep in mind, is it possible that you can stream Video/audio over the LAN?

I have never been able to boot with PCIe card in either the x16 or x8 slots as well as an old PCI card in either PCI slots. The hard drives are fine and I have also gotten other types of errors, just can't find my notes on what they were at this time. I have also gotten that error when trying to boot a LiveCD or an Install DVD as well as the other errors.

As far as streaming A/V over the LAN, I would need another PC or network ready TV or BD which I don't have right now. My plans for the future to do a set-up where I'm streaming, but being on disability does not allow the expense to be worked into my budget right now. I'd love to build a micro box system to do that.

Christoph

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 05:25:01 am »
what's the power supply you got in your computer?

Bad2theBone

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »
what's the power supply you got in your computer?

PSU Corsair HX650W 650 Watt. I tend to not feel that it is a PSU issue in that once I boot up and login the PCIe card works at that point once xorg.conf is read and setsup the video. I'm not totally sure what I have, but that is something that can be later defined and refined at a later time.

Christoph

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:03:29 am »
well, don't know what others errors you get too, but one of those may be your HDD, try and check IF NCQ and Cache are enable for the HDD.

Bad2theBone

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 01:20:14 pm »
NCQ & Write Cache are both enabled on all 4 drives. None are reporting errors.

Christoph

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:48:36 pm »

when you installed your pci card, you deleted the onboard video drivers and then install the right one for the pci video card right?

Bad2theBone

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:15 pm »

when you installed your pci card, you deleted the onboard video drivers and then install the right one for the pci video card right?

I had disabled the onboard video totally and had modified the kernel boot line to use nv the OSS driver, and essentially got the same errors that I was getting with the ATI cards. Not just the boot found device as mentioned before.

Bad2theBone

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 10:53:19 pm »
Just found some of my other errors on another post on a different list as follows:

[2.0269701] general protection fault 0000[#1] SMP
last sysfs file: /sys/bus/pci/drivers/radeon/uevent
. a whole bunch of stuff
. scrolled off the screen
. paused at this point
worker 147 failed while handling '/devices/pci 0000:00/2222:00:03.010000 - fast scrolling started again so was not able to get rest of line

I also got once;
[.6182001] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed

Please note these were random and sporadic at best, interspersed with the 3 lines that I mentioned on my OP.

Christoph

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:35:07 am »
well

one is the video card

is the system stable? did you check the RAM for stability?

and as you mentioned in the first post, Fedora was trying to boot but just got to half way, in some point couldn't keep reading from the HDD, you gonna have to make sure that the RAM is good as the HDD

and then the drivers, or even the SATA cable cuz you were unable to boot form live CDs right?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:42:35 am by Christoph »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:37:16 am »
Often there are problems when IDE and SATA are mixed on the one board. I think it would be worth trying a SATA optical drive and disconnect the IDE ones.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Bad2theBone

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 12:22:09 pm »
well

one is the video card

is the system stable? did you check the RAM for stability?

and as you mentioned in the first post, Fedora was trying to boot but just got to half way, in some point couldn't keep reading from the HDD, you gonna have to make sure that the RAM is good as the HDD

and then the drivers, or even the SATA cable cuz you were unable to boot form live CDs right?

Video card works once I've logged in.

System normally runs fine once I'm logged in and using the onboard video as my primary. I have run Memtest86+ for 3 passes, I might try letting it run overnight and see how it does.

Haven't tried changing SATA cables, the IDE is new, but then I don't seem to have any video related issues as long as the onboard is enabled and is the primary controller.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:27:32 pm by Bad2theBone »