Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790XT-UD4P: Not booting

alexr114

GA-MA790XT-UD4P: Not booting
« on: January 16, 2011, 03:59:37 pm »
Hi,

I just pruchased this board with mostly new components as my old Pc is nearing 5 years old but I am having a real problem getting it working. Everythig is plugged in properly and to make sure Its not any of the new components I tried everything in my old motherboard at it works fine. When I turn the PC on it loads up the splash screen sometimes stays there and sometimes restarts straight away and then brings up the splasxh screen again.

The keyboard doenst work to move passed it. I have tried 3 different keyboards usb and ps/2 to see whether thats the problem but to no avail. My graphics card seems to flash a set of leds three times when i first turn it on. I thought it could be a power problem after looking at the gpu forums and so upgraded my 700W psu to a 1000W one today but the same thing happened. I am going spare and am running out of things to try. Has anyone got any ideas?

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II x6 1050t cooled with a Corsair H50 watercooeld system
GA-MA790XT-UD4P Motherboard
4 x2Gb 1333Ghz Corsair RAM
Radeon 4870 HD Gfx card

Thanks in advance

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA790XT-UD4P: Not booting
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:11:29 pm »
Hi,

If your CPU is indeed the 1050T then I'm afraid it isn't supported by the motherboard. Check here for compatible CPU's: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3010

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

alexr114

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:36:55 pm »
Sorry I meant the 1055T

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:44:51 pm »
OK,
the problem could be that you need a newer BIOS version to run that CPU.

But here is the problem, you need a supported CPU to be able to flash the BIOS with the necessary update. You can either invest in a low end CPU such as the Sempron 140 or, if you have a friend that has a CPU that is supported by an early BIOS then see if you can borrow their CPU to flash BIOS. The only other option is to return the motherboard to where you bought it and ask them to flash the BIOS for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

alexr114

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:38:37 pm »
Thanks I will try that :) Would that also be the reason the graphics card flashes at me? It doesnt do it when its back in the original one

alexr114

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 11:49:19 pm »
I tried using an old Phenom II X4 955 to try and flash it as well as Athlon II X2 260 but neither seemed to be able to fit even though they are meant to be supported. Am I missing something? :s Im scared about bending the pins on the processor.

Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:09:06 am »
Hi,

the problem could be that both of the CPU's you have tried also need a newer BIOS to be recognised, if the board shipped with the F5 BIOS.

If possible get hold of a Sempron 140 or another CPU that is supported by the F5 BIOS. The other option is, as I mentioned before, to return the motherboard to where you bought it and ask them to flash the BIOS to F8G for you.

alexr114

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:18 am »
The problem is the processors don't seem to fit on the board. I match up where the 1055t fits and the other two don't fit. The board has bent 2 of the pins off my 260 and as the 955 is in my only working pc I'm a little worried trying to get that in. Any idea why it doesnt fit?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:32:34 am »
Usually, the only reason the CPU won't fit into the CPU Socket is because the pins on the CPU have been bent.

The fact that your 1055T dropped in OK would indicate that there is nothing wrong with the socket itself, unless you damaged it in some way when you removed the CPU.

If you could post a high quality close up shot of your CPU Socket we might be able to see if there is any damage but I doubt this is the case and the problem is more likely to be with the pins on the CPU being slightly out of alignment prior to you trying to mount it. I know, because I have had this happen to me before.

As I mentioned in my last reply, trying your 955 in your new motherboard might not help if it is a C3 125Watt or 95 Watt version as they need at least the F6 or F8G BIOS themselves. If it is the original C2 version then you might be lucky as that only needs BIOS Version F4I.

alexr114

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:36:30 am »
Ok ill post a photo when I get back. As for checking another processor I have ordered a Sempron 140 as they are cheap enough. So hopefully I will be able to get this sorted soon :)

Thanks  :)

alexr114

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »
I received the new processor today and it seems to fit which is great news but I now can't seem to even get it to the splash screen. My graphics card now constanly flashes 3 red leds 4 times in a row and then the pc resets :( I thought it might be a power issue but I have tried it with 3 different power supplies and the same thing happens. I have tested everything else and nothing seems to change everything :( Any chance this could be a mobo issue now?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:28:53 pm »
What make /model is your PSU ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:34:30 pm »
Hi again,

wow you're in the wars over this and I really feel for you. I would be really surprised if it is the motherboard but that doesn't mean that it isn't. When I am faced with this kind of situation the first thing I do is go back to the beginning and build the PC on a cardboard box with as few components as possible.

Removing the motherboard from the PC Case, eliminates the possibility of it shorting. Before you reconnect the power leads it is also a good idea to clear CMOS properly, just in case it has become corrupted.

Put the basic components together, CPU, Cooler, 1 stick of RAM and the GPU and the keyboard, plus the mobo speaker and power and reset switches from your case (if you don't have a separate test kit), then try and power up. If it still doesn't start properly, remove the graphic card and see what POST Beeps you are getting as that could be causing a problem, especially as you say you are getting red leds showing on it. Do you have another graphics card to try?

alexr114

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 07:43:34 pm »
I am using a OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro.

Yeah I really starting to wish I had just bought a bundle haha. Ill try the outside build later and report back :) Thanks for your help

alexr114

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:25 pm »
Ok I laid it all out and without the graphics card (as it was needed in my working PC) the mobo speaker beeps short and continuously which reflexs a power problem but with only the mobo and ram getting power I don;t understand what the problem is. I have a spare 1000W supply which I tried as well jsut incase but I get the same problem :(