Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M52L-S3P memory speed problem

Cosmin3

GA-M52L-S3P memory speed problem
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:11:21 am »
Hi.
I have a GA-M52L-S3P rev 1.0 mainboard. Bios version is F1. CPU is Athlon X2 5000.
Until a few days ago I had 2x1 GB memory sticks Kingmax DDR2 800 MHz.
The mainboard does see it at 800.
I have bought another 2x1 GB memory sticks Kingmax DDR2 800MHz.
Separately, each memory stick or each pair is seen as 800 MHz but together are seen as 667 MHz.
In Bios I don't see any memory settings. Only to raise voltage, but I don't think it's wise using it...

Is there something that I can do so all memory would be seen as 800 MHz...?

Thank you for any help.

Best regards, Cosmin

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-M52L-S3P memory speed problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:54 am »
Hi there,

You might find that updating your BIOS might help as the latest version for your motherboard is F6A.

I would advise you to update BIOS using the QFlash Utility and to update in a couple of stages F1 to F3, then F3 to F5 and then finally if you want to, F5 to F6A.

Once you have updated BIOS see if the problem is still there.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Cosmin3

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:59:33 am »
Thank you for the suggestion.

I thought of this myself but:
1. Is risky.
2. at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3008&dl=1#bios : F2..F4 says nothing about memory (only CPU ID), F5 is for rev 1.2; F6A vaguely says something about "memory compatibility" but is Beta and my experience says to avoid Beta.
3. QFlash is using Floppy, isn't it? I have a 10 years old 1.44 MB Floppy device (not used for many years and I'm not sure it works 100%) but definetly I can't find a floppy disk (especially one reliable, cause most of them are not).

I downloaded the Windows utility but I din't use it to update, only to save current Bios. I know that is not reliable as QFlash...

If the update fails, how can I use that "dual Bios"...? Do I still need the floppy...?

In these conditions, what's your advice...?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:05:39 am »
I remember when I first had to flash a BIOS and how frightening it all seemed, especially as there were so many warnings on the internet about bad BIOS updates.

If you use the QFlash Utility it is very reliable and also very easy, once you have done it a few times. If you are not sure about how to update BIOS read this FAQ:  http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html as it may help.

Although the BIOS updates don't mention memory the new Code for CPU's can sometimes address the issues that you are facing. By updating the BIOS you can ensure that the motherboard has the latest code and if the problem with RAM speed is still there, then we have eliminated one thing as a possible cause.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Cosmin3

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:28:42 am »
Thank you fo the link.
I read the topic.
I have an old 1GB Kingston DataTraveler USB pen drive.
Doesn't have much size but I keep it for cases like that, where compatibility is more important.
I hope the Bios will see it...

I asked you about "Dual Bios" - what's it good for? How do I use it..?
Sorry for insisting but is very important for me.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:32:09 pm »
Dual BIOS works automatically if the main BIOS becomes corrupt. If the Back-up BIOS does have to kick in it will overwrite the Main BIOS with the version stored on the back-up chip so that your system is restored.
You can manually try and make it kick in if needed but I have never had to do this myself.

But trust me, if you use QFlash properly and follow the steps then you should not have any cause to worry. I have flashed BIOS more times than I care to remember and I have never had one go bad on me. Over the past weekend I had the opportunity to help another member of the forum who needed his BIOS flashed to support a new CPU and he was amazed at how quick and easy it was, when I showed him how to do it.

Cosmin3

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56:24 pm »
Ok.
I tried with F3, F4, F6A.
Each one detects 667 instead of 800.
Now I have F4. In Intelligent Tweaker I can set manually all the memory parameters, including speed. Now is 3.3xFSB, should I try 4xFSB?
I'm just thinking; if the newest Bios still detects 667 maybe the mainboard "knows" that the 2 pairs will not work well with 800 (with that hardware I mean, on other mainboard could work). Or maybe it detects wrong...

What do you think...?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:06:53 pm »
If it were my PC I would try altering the FSB to X4 as that should be all you need to do. If the system becomes unstable when you do that then try upping the RAM Voltage a little to see if that helps.

Cosmin3

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:37 pm »
Ok.
I will disconnect the internal HDD so I don't lose any data.
But I will boot from a USB HDD custom made with WinSetupFromUSB. It has a lot of utilities.
Which program do you recommend I should use to test? Memtest, BurnIn Test...?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »
I would run with Memtest for at least 10 passes to see if any errors come up.

Cosmin3

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »
Ok, 10 passes x 50 min each = 8 hours 20 min  ;D
I'll try during night then (it's 15:36 in my country)...

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »
Yes, leaving it running over night is normally what I do if I have to test RAM.

Cosmin3

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:52 am »
I tested with 800 and there wasn't even a single error :)
And RAM voltage is normal.
So it seems the mainboard detects as 667 wrong.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:43:59 am »
Not sure why the correct RAM speed isn't being detected automatically but pleased that you have it sorted.

bytheway_r

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:15:30 am »
Glad it's resolved but I'd say it's common that a motherboard would pull down the frequency if all memory slots are filled. It's probably a safeguard against instability as maximum number of RAM sticks may require higher memory controller / RAM voltage to work.