Official GIGABYTE Forum

T1125N always has 3G antenna and SIM slot?

T1125N always has 3G antenna and SIM slot?
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:20 am »
In the UK there are 2 versions of the T1125N available

One is the i3 380UM with 4GB of RAM and 320GB disc, with no 3G module

The other is the i5 570UM with 2GB of RAM and 500GB disc, with 3G module

The second one is 100 UK pounds more expensive. In actual fact it is the slower of the two machines, as Gigabyte show on their website that the turbo overclocking they have added with the i3 takes its performance to above the i5! This is mainly because they overclock the memory as well as the clockspeed.

On the Gigabyte website it has TERRIBLE wording for the specification. For the T1125N under 3G support it says

3G antenna built-in, 3G module support (optional)

Does ths mean that  ALL versions include the antenna and you can add the card in later if it is not included
Or does it mean that both the antenna and support for the module are optional

I would like to think that the antenna is always there and its just whether they include the actual 3G module or not. I would like to get the i3 version as its cheaper and faster!

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: T1125N always has 3G antenna and SIM slot?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »
Hi

I would tend to think the same as you that it was with a built in antenna and ready for the card, but it doesn't pay to make assumptions.
To be safe I would recommend asking the Gigabyte representative on the forum, runn3R, to find out. You can PM him here:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 01:34:14 pm »
Hi

I would tend to think the same as you that it was with a built in antenna and ready for the card, but it doesn't pay to make assumptions.
To be safe I would recommend asking the Gigabyte representative on the forum, runn3R, to find out. You can PM him here:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=13

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have PMd runn3R as you suggested :)

It seems strange Gigabyte would have 2 models where the i5 was more expensive but then boast on their own website that the i3 version  is faster :)

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:15:17 pm »
Yes but don't forget that with any overclocking there is a downside which is that the hardware might not last as  long as that at standard speed also it might be that it will also get hotter than the stock item.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
I didn't get a reply yet, but I took a chance and ordered one yesterday.

I received it today.

Expansys told me they had stock in the UK but for some very strange reason, at huge cost to themselves, shipped it from their warehouse in France!

Unfortunately this also meant it came with European power leads instead of UK ones :(   The rest of it, such as the keyboard is international anyway. The leads are those funny C5 type that is not a kettle lead, and not a figure of 8 one either. I have spoken to Expansys and they promised to send me the right ones. There are 2 in the box, because it has a docking station with a second power supply.

Back to the topic. I can confirm that the unit DOES have the sim card and antenna. I slotted in the 3G card from my previous T1028G and it worked immediately with no fuss as the drivers for that card were already in place. The only really stupid thing, is that the SIM card slot is exposed on the rear with a rubber cover. However when a SIM is inserted, you can no longer close the cover properly!!

Aside from the SIM cover, this machine is really really nice. It has a good quality finish. It is a bit bigger than a T1028G but doesn't seem overly big. I love the textured trackpad rather than the smooth one on the T1028G. It has the chiclet keyboard which has a nice click to it, but I actually prefer traditional keys.

And more importantly it does feel quick compared to my T1028G. And of course the touch screen is much much easier to use being capactivie.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »
It sounds like you made a good purchase there then in the end. I know the type of lead you mean and it is a PITA when you have so many kettle leads lying around.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:52:46 pm »
Hi jonstatt

I have received "Mail quota exceeded" error delivery message. Check your PMs and free some email box space.
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 07:00:37 am »

Whats the battery life like, yours the Nvidia graphics chipset one or the basic one.

Does it seem really chunky to you We need a review, you Tube it :)

Thanks.

I am waiting till they make a Sandy Bridge version, should be much more powerfull and lighter and have much better battery life, these Gigabyte ones are old tech, they took way to long to start selling them and now they are obsolete.

I want one with 8 hours plus battery life, seems these can't even manage 7 hours probably much less.

Gigabyte make the next ones slimmer or I am not interested.

Out.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:11:05 am by Lyta Allexander »

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:55 pm »
Hi jonstatt

I have received "Mail quota exceeded" error delivery message. Check your PMs and free some email box space.

I did receive your PM thank you. My Inbox is empty, so perhaps it only lets you have 1 private message, or the error is a mistake :)

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 12:34:00 pm »
Sandy bridge is only being used in a high-end performance architecture for laptops so far. I don't believe there is a netbook sized version of it in use yet, but it will probably came in a few months time! Acer said they won't have anything for a months using Sandy bridge yet. Also, the T1125N did get delayed, but then they also used later processors than originally spec'd. It uses the HM55 chipset which has been around for about 8-9 months but is still current for mainstream single chip solutions. THere is the HM67 and HM57 but they don't provide more performance, just different features (such as wireless video).

The T1125N is about the same thickness as the T1028G. It is about the same depth as the T1028G with 6-cell battery. But it is wider and this is because of the bigger screen and bigger keyboard. It is also a little heavier than a T1028G but not hugely.

The nVidia chipset is ONLY used when you play a game or intense graphical application. Otherwise it uses the built-in Intel chipset. The switch-over is silent and you are not aware of it happening.

Battery life is VERY variable with this netbook. If you surf you can probably can get somewhere near 5-6 hours on it. But if you do something CPU intensive and it starts turbo-boosting, and using the graphics, then probably less than 2 hours.

Whats the battery life like, yours the Nvidia graphics chipset one or the basic one.

Does it seem really chunky to you We need a review, you Tube it :)

Thanks.

I am waiting till they make a Sandy Bridge version, should be much more powerfull and lighter and have much better battery life, these Gigabyte ones are old tech, they took way to long to start selling them and now they are obsolete.

I want one with 8 hours plus battery life, seems these can't even manage 7 hours probably much less.

Gigabyte make the next ones slimmer or I am not interested.

Out.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:37:53 pm by jonstatt »

Polo

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »
Hi Jonstat,

I am that close to order one of these myself, my only concern being the keyboard layout. I called Expansys who confirmed that it was a British English keyboard, and I really need the US/International keyboard, with the "@" on Shift+2, etc.

The few reviews, YouTube I've seen are showing it with the US/Internationa keyoard which suits me. Can you confirm it's indeed the case for the Expansys stock?

Thanks!

I received it today.

Expansys told me they had stock in the UK but for some very strange reason, at huge cost to themselves, shipped it from their warehouse in France!

Unfortunately this also meant it came with European power leads instead of UK ones :(   The rest of it, such as the keyboard is international anyway.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:51 am »
Hi Polo,

I wish Expansys would check their facts before answering "of course its UK".

It is NOT a UK keyboard. It is what is called a United States International (UI) keyboard. The @ key is indeed on Shift+2.

Regards,
Jonathan

Hi Jonstat,

I am that close to order one of these myself, my only concern being the keyboard layout. I called Expansys who confirmed that it was a British English keyboard, and I really need the US/International keyboard, with the "@" on Shift+2, etc.

The few reviews, YouTube I've seen are showing it with the US/Internationa keyoard which suits me. Can you confirm it's indeed the case for the Expansys stock?

Thanks!

I received it today.

Unfortunately this also meant it came with European power leads instead of UK ones :(   The rest of it, such as the keyboard is international anyway.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:28 am »
I am afraid that so many of these companies employ people who rea;lly don't understand the terms they are using often and just agree with whatever you say to have an easy life.

It is always best to actually ask a question that makes them give a proper answer rather than just agreeing with your presumptions.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Polo

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »
Hey thanks for the answer! it would actually fit my bill then.
I really haven't been able to find any review or proper feedback for this machine, but your comments on it.
How do you rate the screen?

very nice package to me.
Cheers!

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »
The screen is very clear with good contrast when looking at it straight-on. I have no stuck/dead pixels. It does suffer a bit from raised black levels when looked at from an angle however. I would have liked to see a better viewing angle tolerance. The resolution was a bit too much on the T1028G with things being too small. This size is just right for such a resolution. HOwever watch out if you buy one, that the default desktop font in Windows has been increased making it easier to read, easier to work with touchscreen, but causes sizing issues with some applications.