AHCI / IRQ Bootup Screen
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:21:02 am »
When I power on my machine the following happens:

1) Gigabyte Splash Screen
2) AHCI Screen detecting drives
3) usual IRQ screen
4) Starting Windows
5) Windows login

Now step 2 takes about 10 secs and step 3 a few seconds more ... does anyone know of a way to stop these showing? i've gone through all BIOS settings but nothing relates to this ...

Not too bothered if not, just wondering  ;) ;) ;)

Re: AHCI / IRQ Bootup Screen
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:24:19 pm »
I don't think you can stop them showing (but I'm no expert), however it's not likely to make any real difference. These screens only show the progress of the boot process, so even if you stopped them being created you're not going to make it boot any faster. About the only way you could make it go faster is by disabling all hardware/devices you're not using so that it doesn't try to scan them, such as the PATA or floppy controller (assuming you don't have these types of drive fitted). That might save a second or two, but I wouldn't count on it.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:01 am »
Yeah Mark is right, can't stop them from showing. What you're seeing the POST (power on self test) screen, its basic hardware test the BIOS does on the motherboard to check for any major errors before attempting to boot the operating system.
The only thing you can do to speed things up is make sure quick boot is enabled and mark sure the HDD with the operating system on is the primary boot device.
There's no place like ::1

hicookie

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:27:00 pm »
intel ich firware issue, will try to improve this.