Official GIGABYTE Forum

How to setup ACHI Intel Raid chipset Windowws XP avoiding BSOD.

EG45M-UD2H mobo, Windows XP, with a single SATA drive.
AHCI installation for Windows XP  for single Sata may be tricky, while there are 3 options - disable, AHCI or Raid and one picks AHCI.
Windows XP setup failed with BSOD 0x0000007B, when set just to AHCI. (While was successful with Vista).

Windows XP installation was successful only when set to RAID.

The BIOS direct ACHI setting  incompatibily with Windows XP may be a problem with most Intel matrix Storage chipsets.
More information is welcomed.

It's always wise to get use of a full Sata command set and full speed of Sata.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: How to setup ACHI Intel Raid chipset Windowws XP avoiding BSOD.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:10 am »
Yeah the reason vista worked is because vista has more drivers built in. If you want to use AHCI on XP you usually have to load the drivers onto a floppy disk first then press F6 when prompted.
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:05 am »
PS. The XP problem description and solution was  with F6 and Sata drivers disk and I even downloaded from Intel latest drivers without any help. When BIOS setting was set AHCI  instead of RAID, XP setup failure occurred each time prior to Windows part of setup, probably when trying to load 32 bit SATA drivers from floppy.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:58:12 pm »
I had this problem.  I've written a post explaining how to get around it (its on this forum.)

In a nutshell:

make sure your operating system is on the first partition of the first drive in your system.

The drivers you select from the floppy disk when installing windows XP can scroll upwards - there are many more than the four on display.  Simply scroll up until you hit the Intel 10R AHCI driver and install that.  You will not get the blue screen of death using these drivers.

Thats it!

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:28:59 pm »
Excellent, that F6 floppy scrolling up is something, I missed during my one day long XP installation Odyssey! Thanks FYI!
I did also a lot of googling but there wasn't any luck.

Right now I have it installed XP with RAID option set into BIOS, I must consider re installation.

I'd like to avoid any unnecessary application and drivers.
I guess ACHI doesn't require installation of Intel Storage manager.