Official GIGABYTE Forum

ga-h55m-s2 restart / shutdown problem

ga-h55m-s2 restart / shutdown problem
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »
Have got a really annoying problem with this board.

Basically you power it on and it takes ages to actually post after that it will load windows or what ever fine and seems to run fine, but here are the issues

it will not power down, either with the power button or from software, not from windows, ubuntu or qflash etc it just hangs and does nothing else, although usb devices do power down. (holding power button for 4 secs does work btw)

now the reset button or indeed a software reset does not work right, ie memtest you press escape and it should instantly reboot but nope you get a black screen and then after ages it will finally reboot

another reset issue is that it always powers off when it does finally reset

I've tried flashing the bios with several different versions, removing bios battery, different psu, different mem, reseated the cpu and changed every bios setting there is all to no avail so far, only unchanged hardware is the cpu a G6950 that came out of a working pc.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: ga-h55m-s2 restart / shutdown problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:53:10 am »
Hi

I think you need to start from scratch and take the parts out of the case.

Remove the motherboard from the case and test it on the workbench.

Make sure that you observe anti-static precautions.

Lay some cardboard or use the motherboard box that is non-conductive on the worktop and remove the motherboard/CPU/heatsink/fan/buzzer/one stick of memory and PSU from the case and put it on the cardboard. Add the keyboard and now I know you haven't got any graphics but try and boot. The system should try and then fail emitting a series of beeps. Please post what sounds it makes.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:06:05 pm »
Hi,

Have tried it outside of the case and have tried with a pci-e graphics card instead of onboard but is still the same have also tried with ps2 keyboard and indeed no keyboard. Only beeps it gives is with the memory removed (continuous short beeps) and that according to the manual is power related which is odd and that's with 2 different psu's

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »
Well POST is completing correctly and giving one beep for a successful boot. Or more if you have the GPU disabled etc. Therefore the motherboard/CPU is all working alright and it must be something else like the graphics card maybe. Can you try the GPU in another machine or try a different GPU in your system ?

Another thing to try is to disable all power saving settings in both Windows and the BIOS. In the BIOS that is C1E, EIST, C3, C6 etc and the sleep modes S1 etc.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:16:17 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

ebrc

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 05:37:02 am »
Well POST is completing correctly and giving one beep for a successful boot. Or more if you have the GPU disabled etc. Therefore the motherboard/CPU is all working alright and it must be something else like the graphics card maybe. Can you try the GPU in another machine or try a different GPU in your system ?

Another thing to try is to disable all power saving settings in both Windows and the BIOS. In the BIOS that is C1E, EIST, C3, C6 etc and the sleep modes S1 etc.

Hi, I have the same problem and need a solution.
already tried with another power supply, memory and PCIe video card
Some official solution?

Zurx

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:54:30 am »
Hello!

I have same motherboard with same problem!

Have any solution how to resolve a problem?

Zurx

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 08:57:54 pm »
Hello!

I think, I resolve the problem.

First I checked too memory, PSU, HDD, VGA components, upgrade the BIOS, etc., but problem not resolved.

How I to resolve problem?

When PC has switched off, I remove power cable from PSU, then I remove CMOS battery, then many times pressed power button, after approximaly 30 - 60 sec. I put back CMOS battery, connect power cable with PSU and switch PC on. When PC starting first starts BIOS, after appeared table (between BIOS startup and OS starting). Then was 5 profile:

Profile 1 - Default;
Profile 2 - Last good ... (I don't remember)
Profile 3 - 2 times
Profile 4 - 3-5 times (I think)
Profile 5 - 7 times (I don't remember too)

I think, I have profile 2 active, but I choose profile 1 - default, and pc to start working normally. Now PC starting normally, now PC switched off himself  (normally), now start working reset button, before not working. Now I haven't this problem, if you have this problem to try my recipe!  ;D

P.S. Sorry my knowledge of English not perfect, but I think here can all understand!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:00:46 pm by Zurx »