Official GIGABYTE Forum

IDE (SATA) channels in the BIOS

forumjoe

IDE (SATA) channels in the BIOS
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:36:39 am »
I'm still struggling, trying to find clues that'll lead to a solution to the instability that I constantly witness on my newly-built US3L, namely the constant rhythmic access to the HDD, random accesses to the FDD, gross sound distortion, and occasional BSODs. Yesterday, I had another look at the device allocations for IDE in the BIOS, and once again I confess that I find the way that the channels have been named and handled by the designers quite baffling. As to the available ports, this is what I see in Standard CMOS Features:

IDE Channel 0 Master
IDE Channel 0 Slave
IDE Channel 1 Master
IDE Channel 1 Slave
IDE Channel 2 Master
IDE Channel 3 Master
IDE Channel 4 Master
IDE Channel 4 Slave
IDE Channel 5 Master
IDE Channel 5 Slave

Do appreciate that I don't use RAID on this new PC. I use the Intel SATA ports, and only in IDE mode.

Okay, one can see that the nomenclature used by the BIOS in this regard is really of the old PATA arrangement, but forget that for the moment. Clearly, by looking at the board itself, there are 10 physical ports available. We know that six of these are Intel SATA ports, two are Gigabyte SATA ports, and two are a primary/secondary PATA port. But it's not at all obvious from this BIOS listing which channel in the listing corresponds to each port. I've already done a certain amount of experimenting and it seemed to merely put the three SATA drives I use - a HDD and two optical drives - at the head of the list, irrespective of the ports on the board into which I plugged them. This seems odd in the extreme.

Notice that Channels 2 and 3 only have Master allocations. Why this is so seems to be a complete mystery. The text on this in the BIOS separates out Channels 2 and 3  from 0 and 1 but doesn't explain why. Could it be that Channels 2 and 3 are meant to be reserved for the two Gigabyte ports only? Or is this entire nomenclature just randomly chosen and meaningless?

If Gigabyte has kept to the old PATA convention, then at least one of these master/slave pairs must be for the onboard PATA connector. But which one? It can only be determined, it seems, by trial and error. (I've not done tried it, as I've no reason to use a PATA drive in the PC).

The information that the INF driver puts into Device Manager in Windows further confuses the issue. This is what I see there, with the Gigabyte SATA Controller disabled in the BIOS so as to simplify things:

Intel 5/3400 Series chipset 2 port Serial ATA storage controller
Intel 5/3400 Series chipset 4 port Serial ATA storage controller
Primary IDE channel
Primary IDE channel
Secondary IDE channel
Secondary IDE channel

To which onboard Controllers do the 2 port and 4 port storage controllers refer? And looking at the Properties of the four IDE channels listed there give only a fleeting clue, through the transfer mode settings, as to which physical drives they refer to. Indeed, one of the channels is permanently greyed out in PIO mode. This, I believe, is the DVD/RW drive, but there seems to be no way of confirming that.

The HDD is currently connected into the first SATA port (SATA2_0). What I'm wondering is whether somehow I'm unknowingly bucking Gigabyte's intention of using certain of my drives in particular ports. Perhaps the onboard Controller goes haywire if you don't use the ports in a certain way? Perhaps it's mistaken to plug the HDD into SATA2_0?

Anyone got any thoughts on this? It's all about as clear as mud to me, at the moment. Whatever is hammering away at my HDD all the time is dominating the PCI bus. It's as though the Intel Controller (whatever one of the two referred to in Device Manager it is) is constantly struggling to sort the matter out but never succeeding.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: IDE (SATA) channels in the BIOS
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:41 am »
Unless I am mistaken I seem to remember that if you set the controller to AHCI rather than IDE it will display differently in the BIOS screen.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:10 pm »
Hmm, but that doesn't help me, does it, as I'm not using RAID? There's no point in setting it to AHCI if you're running in plain vanilla SATA mode, and indeed there may be a risk of confusing the BIOS if you did so.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:42:35 pm »
AHCI is not necessarilly for RAID it is for any SATA disk that  you want to have better performance and control. Obviously if you hav eset up your OS already you would have to make some registry changes before swapping the mode to AHCI in the BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:54:47 pm »
During the timeslot just before your last reply, I dived into the BIOS to delve around in that area. I didn't want to be too dismissive of your response.

Yes, in the BIOS you can change the setting from IDE to AHCI and then, if you're careful and don't allow the machine to then boot into Windows in that mode and instead you just save and go back into the BIOS, you find that the BIOS then recognises no drives at all!

I don't refute at all what you're saying, DM. Indeed, it makes perfect sense. It's just that I never intended to use AHCI, even in non-RAID mode, and so the PC at present simply isn't geared up to using it in AHCI mode.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »
No that's fair enough. Just trying to give you a little more insight into the IDE displaying at BIOS screen.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB