Official GIGABYTE Forum

USB 2.0 on GA-MA785GT-UD3H

GigThug

USB 2.0 on GA-MA785GT-UD3H
« on: February 15, 2011, 11:53:51 am »
Hi

i have the GA-MA785GT-UD3H MOBO

it says it has USB 2.0

does it mean all the USB ports OnBoard are USB 2.0 ?? or does it means only the one i connect a cable from the interal mobo to like Frontpanel are USB 2.0??

here pic of the mobo:

http://img141.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img141/795/ma785gtud3h1.jpg&via=mupload

here a pic of my USB devices in devices manager:

http://img265.imageshack.us/i/30617851.jpg/

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:55:18 am by GigThug »
"The Hate You Gave Little Infants f***s Everybody, meaning, what you feed us as seeds, grows, and blows up in your face, thats Thug Life"

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: USB 2.0 on GA-MA785GT-UD3H
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:22:23 pm »
Hi there,

All of the USB ports are USB 2.0 and are backwards compatible;
Took this from the specifications page on the Gigabyte Website: USB   Integrated in the South Bridge Up to 12 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6 on the back panel, 6 via the USB brackets connected to the internal USB headers)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

GigThug

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
Hi there,

All of the USB ports are USB 2.0 and are backwards compatible;
Took this from the specifications page on the Gigabyte Website: USB   Integrated in the South Bridge Up to 12 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6 on the back panel, 6 via the USB brackets connected to the internal USB headers)

hi absic

i have some smartphones & extrnal drives i connect to USB and they are USB 2.0 but i dont think they run with USB 2.0 trasnfar rate

so do i need to enable\set change something in the bios in order that it will work in its full speed : usb 2.0? (cause i remember in the BIOS under " integerted"   

there were 3 or 2 options that  refer to USB ............... the one i remember "legacy USB"

how do i know when i connect a device which is USB 2.0 and its runs USB 2.0
"The Hate You Gave Little Infants f***s Everybody, meaning, what you feed us as seeds, grows, and blows up in your face, thats Thug Life"

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:55:57 pm »
There are no BIOS settings that affect the transfer speed of USB devices. The Legacy USB that you find in BIOS allows you to access and use USB devices prior to installing the OS.

In Windows, if there is a problem with connection speed when you connect a USB 2.0 device to the computer, it will tell you that it could work faster and to connect it to a USB 2.0 port.

The amount of devices you connect via USB will have an effect on the transfer speeds you get and also if you are not connecting directly to the ports on the motherboard but via a USB hub.

Is there a specific problem that you are encountering or just a feeling that there is a problem?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

GigThug

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »
yes like i said it doesnt transfr fast as i think

as in the devices like , phones, Drives ,cams..etc i dont need to activate\enable the USB 2.0

am i correct?

*you are right about the windows notifaction  , i i think i solved it when i installed drivers
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:15:24 pm by GigThug »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:51 pm »
You are correct, you don't have any options to enable.

As a matter of interest what are your transfer speeds? A quick search on the internet seemed to show that transfer speeds of 14MB/s or less were about average for USB 2.0 devices.

just did a quick test on my own system and transferring a 1 GB file to a USB 2.0 Pendrive took 110 secs. (windows 7 64 bit OS) which equals approx 10MB/s

GigThug

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:11 pm »
You are correct, you don't have any options to enable.

As a matter of interest what are your transfer speeds? A quick search on the internet seemed to show that transfer speeds of 14MB/s or less were about average for USB 2.0 devices.

just did a quick test on my own system and transferring a 1 GB file to a USB 2.0 Pendrive took 110 secs. (windows 7 64 bit OS) which equals approx 10MB/s

closed all the programs & used original cable

now i checked the WD exetrnal drive transfered 1.36GB in 60seconds ....... if i refer to your speed ... thats kind fast

is using shorten cable makes transafer faster? (i used to use longer cable for comfort)

is there such thing USB 2.0 Cable , or the cables are all the same/?

the cable i got with the extrnal Drive has sticker with USB 2.0 , lead me to think if i dont use this than i loose speed

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:32:41 pm by GigThug »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »
Hi again

Yes, using a shorter cable can help a little.

There are different USB cables  however there is no difference in the cables for USB 2.0 and older ones so whichever cable you use it shouldn't make a difference.

USB 3.0 devices and cables are a little different and if you are using a USB 3.0 device you only gain the full potential if you use a USB 3.0 cable and connect it to a USB 3.0 port.

GigThug

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »
Hi again

Yes, using a shorter cable can help a little.

There are different USB cables  however there is no difference in the cables for USB 2.0 and older ones so whichever cable you use it shouldn't make a difference.

USB 3.0 devices and cables are a little different and if you are using a USB 3.0 device you only gain the full potential if you use a USB 3.0 cable and connect it to a USB 3.0 port.

thank you very much absic

if talking about front panel, when how can i tell if i have HD capable Audio frontpanel?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:28:21 pm by GigThug »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 04:27:14 pm »
No problem, pleased to help.  :D

Didn't notice that you added a bit about HD Audio on the front panel. If the front panel on your PC Case supports HD Audio it will tell you in the specifications. Failing that, if it is HD capable there will be a choice of two connectors from the front panel one will be AC 97 the other (if present) HD Audio.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:37:34 pm by absic »

GigThug

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:12:14 am »
No problem, pleased to help.  :D

Didn't notice that you added a bit about HD Audio on the front panel. If the front panel on your PC Case supports HD Audio it will tell you in the specifications. Failing that, if it is HD capable there will be a choice of two connectors from the front panel one will be AC 97 the other (if present) HD Audio.

isnt the connector of 3.5 jack for both ac 97 & HD?

cause i have 3.5 jack

is there any BIOS settings?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 08:54:44 am »
There is only the option to Enable/Disable the OnBoard Audio chip on BIOS.

The 3.5mm Jack is just a connector and it can be used for many things. How it is used depends on the wiring and as I stated before this will depend on your case.
For example, I have a NZXT Tempest Evo PC Case and the front panel header has a headphone and microphone port. The cables that are attached to these have two different motherboard connectors 1 X AC97 and 1 X HD_Audio and the sound output is dependant on which connector I attach to the motherboard.

GigThug

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »
There is only the option to Enable/Disable the OnBoard Audio chip on BIOS.

The 3.5mm Jack is just a connector and it can be used for many things. How it is used depends on the wiring and as I stated before this will depend on your case.
For example, I have a NZXT Tempest Evo PC Case and the front panel header has a headphone and microphone port. The cables that are attached to these have two different motherboard connectors 1 X AC97 and 1 X HD_Audio and the sound output is dependant on which connector I attach to the motherboard.

do you have one cable that connected two the front module >that split to two 1 HD 1 C97

cause i have only one cable attached as far as i can see?

or maybe you have on the front module two seprated connectors  one connector for HD & 1 for AC97

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 02:21:29 pm by GigThug »