Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890FXA-UD5: BSODs in Windows

gxlinx

GA-890FXA-UD5: BSODs in Windows
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »
I am getting multiple Blue screens while trying to install Windows(XP, 7x32, 7x64) or even use it(Unable to get logged in before it crashes)
The Blue screen messages are:
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically this happens towards the end of the Windows 7 install "Completing Install" Phase or Setup is starting Services.  After lowering the Memory clock I was able to get windows to install but now it randomly throws a BSOD.

Things I have Done:
Bare minimum Hardware(Video Card, 1 Ram stick, HDD, CD-ROM)
Memtest Both sticks of RAM passed 10+ passes
Switch Memory Channels
Replace memory
Memtest new Memory
Downclock memory to 1066MHz but left the 9-9-9-24 settings.
Replace Video Card

System Specs.
Mobo: GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 2.1  BIOS F6
Processor: Phenom ii x6 1055T
Ram: Corsair XMS3 DHX 9-9-9-24 1333 2x2GB
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon 6850
PSU: Seasonic 750watt

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:57:54 pm by gxlinx »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-890FXA-UD5: BSODs in Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:19 pm »
Hi there,

As a matter of interest what make of HDD are you trying to install the OS onto?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

gxlinx

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:15 pm »
Currently I am installing on a single Hitachi 700GB
I was using a OCZ Vertex 2 but I seemed to get less BSODs when I switched to a rotating HDD.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 08:06:01 pm »
OK
Have you disabled Floppy Drive in BIOS as sometimes this can cause these kind of problems?
How have you set the SATA controllers, AHCI, or Native IDE?
what ports have you connected your HDD and other drives to?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

gxlinx

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:56 pm »
Floppy Drive is disabled
Not at my computer currently if my memory serves me correctly though the drives are set on SATA 0(HDD). CD-Rom is set on the IDE port on the Mobo not sure which port that is set in BIOS.
It is currently set to Native IDE.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 08:15:03 pm »
If your CD Drive is an older IDE type that could be the cause of your problems as there can sometimes be issues running IDE and SATA devices together.

gxlinx

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:22:00 pm »
I will grab a SATA drive on the way home. I may also try setting the drive to master, I may have it set to Cable select.
Does it matter which SATA port it goes into? I am thinking SATA4 or 5 since you can specify them separately.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:27:32 pm by gxlinx »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »
If you put the HDD or SSD onto one of the SATA3 ports (I use 0 for my OS Drive) and set the SATA3 Controller in BIOS to AHCI mode.
Then attach the DVD/CD drive onto one of the SATA2 ports (one of the white ones) and set the controller for this in BIOS to IDE.

It might be a good idea, before making those changes, if you re-set BIOS to Optimised Defaults as this will give you a good starting point to move forward from. Make the basic changes that you would usually make (Disable Full LOGO Show, Disable FLOPPY drive(s), etc) but leave all of the RAM timings and other settings in MIT at their default settings.

gxlinx

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:32:17 pm »
Thanks, I will get back to you with the results in a few hours.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:31 pm »
Well, by the time you can get back I will probably be fast asleep as I am in the UK!  :D
Hopefully someone else will be able to help further if you run into any problems.
Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

gxlinx

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 03:25:44 am »
Same problem with new CDRom. Just to try something different though I would try installing from a USB Drive.  Same issues.

Got some new messagea though:
Memory_Management
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
Also
0x1E Stop Code

Just curious what are the chances this could be with the processor/Memory Controller?

Christoph

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:29:57 am »
Same problem with new CDRom. Just to try something different though I would try installing from a USB Drive.  Same issues.

Got some new messagea though:
Memory_Management
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
Also
0x1E Stop Code

Just curious what are the chances this could be with the processor/Memory Controller?

seems to be the ram

post specifications of the ram, and current setttings like timings voltages for RAM and CPU

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:31 am »
OUCH!

Having now tried installing with a SATA DVD/CD drive I have to  agree with Christoph about the RAM being the most likely cause of the problem. This doesn't mean that your CPU isn't the problem but it is more likely to be the RAM.

Although you have run Memtest for 10 passes this doesn't always mean that the RAM is OK and there have been several instances recently where modules have passed Memtest only to be proven to be the cause after much aggravation, swapping other components and swearing. If possible try different RAM Modules, if only to eliminate your current ones.

Another cause of the 0x1E stop code can be a problem with your install media. If you have downloaded the OS and burnt it onto a disk, one or more of the files might have become corrupted. If this is the case, try downloading it again and burning it to a disk at the slowest speed. If it is a copy that you bought from a retailer then it is less likely to be due to this but still could be.

gxlinx

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »
The thing is I have already switched RAM modules once and continued having the same problem. Once I replaced the CD Rom I only got the errors I have listed already.

This is all I remember off the top of my head. I will have the post all the specs from BIOS when I get back.
Corsair XMS3 DHX 9-9-9-24 1333 2x2GB 1.5v is the one I am using now.
Before that
GSkill RipJaws 9-9-9-24 1600 2x2GB 1.5v Actually ran them at 1333 before problem started happening.

The voltages for the CPU are stock so I haven't changed them at all. I will have to look when I get home.

I will retry downloading but I doubt that is the issue.  These problems started before I was trying to install. I guess I should of mentioned that before. I was able to use the computer for 2 months with no problems at all. Then I started getting the blue screens listed in this post and some pointing to some ATIKMDAG.sys file. I figured it was a driver for the video card uninstalled all the software for it still got the same minidump message pointing to ATIKMDAG.sys. So I replaced video card to try and fix it but it didn't work. Well while this was happening Windows would revert back to fresh install state, I was using my SSD as the boot drive. Then boom that is how I got to where I am.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »
When you had the system running previously, were you running your RAM at 1600MHz?
If you were then there is the possibility that the Memory controller on the CPU is playing up as these CPU's really don't like RAM running above 1333MHz. So to answer your previous question then yes, it could be the CPU rather than any other component and as you have tried changing RAM, HDD/SSD and other parts then it might be time to look at RMA'ing the processor.