Official GIGABYTE Forum

Overclocking Amd Phenom X3 8650?

Dawnside

Overclocking Amd Phenom X3 8650?
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:40:20 am »
I have been running my phenom at 2,3 ghz for about a year and its working almost to good LoL I got 6 gb ddr2 and that is also working
great :D But I would love to get just a little more juice out of my system, I got a pretty old motherboard that goes by the name M52L-S3P
and its great, I have looked after how to overclock just a bit but they are allways talking about extreem and its not my bag! Is there an easy
way in bios ore an other place like inside windows to set the cpu a little higher like 2.6 ghz  ore something like that öhh right I am using Vista 64Bit.
When I have been out looking on the net for adwise Ivè seen that I can go in to Bios and set the value in MB tweak to 226, the standard is 200
and heatsink to 1800 and there it´s 200 as standard to issent that a little steep Im a little new I mean newby hehehe so I dont want to crash the whole
system? I mean 200 to 1800 am I understanding this wrong? If so I guess im stupid but smart enough to ask first and try later.
If you guys and girls can help in any way I wouldbe so happy!! ::)
Yours Truly!
Dawnside

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Overclocking Amd Phenom X3 8650?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:03:10 am »
Hi Dawnside,

Overclocking your CPU can be fun but it can also be a bit tricky to get the system to run happily at the higher speeds.

Whilst there are some software programmes such as, EasyTune or AMD Overdrive that allow you to overclock your system from within Windows these really aren't the best route to take and, as you have said yourself, it is better to make any changes from within BIOS. The reason for this is simple, any changes that you make in BIOS are there and working from the moment you power up your PC rather than having to wait for windows to load and the Overclocking software to start working.

Before offering any real advice though it would help if you could post back with your exact CPU and RAM specifications and also the revision number of your motherboard. This information is important as when you start increasing the speed of the CPU it can have a direct affect on the speed of the RAM, how the motherboard handles the increased speed and also the increased voltages that are often needed and it is a balancing act in getting these components working together nicely.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dawnside

Re: Overclocking Amd Phenom X3 8650?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »
Thanks im going to check that today!
Be right back!
 ;D Dawnside
I took a file from cpu-z I hope it does the trick, I hope that I get alot
of new Ideas on my computers sspeed it needs just a little more swung LoL!
I hope the attatchment helps?
Dawnside
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 04:10:12 pm by Dawnside »