Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H55M-UD2H Rev 1.0 – Multiple Ram Failures

GA-H55M-UD2H Rev 1.0 – Multiple Ram Failures
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »
Hi,

I have been having problems with my motherboard with RAM failures.  My system details are:-

GA-H55M-UD2H Rev 1.0
Intel Core i3-530 (using integrated graphics)
400W Corsair CMPSU-400CXUK Power Supply
Samsung F3 1TB hard drive

The system was intitially built last March, and started experiencing occasional blue screens around August ? September.  These became more regular into October and checking the STOP code details they all appeared to point to a memory problem.  The memory was 4BG Corsair XMS3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V, as 2x2GB modules.  Running Memtest 4.10 on each module in both slots indicated multiple errors in the module originally in Slot DDR3_3.  When tested in Slot _3, around 18000 errors in 2 passes were found, in Slot _1, around 7900 errors in 2 passes.  The other module passed multiple passes in each slot with no errors.

This memory was then replaced with new 4GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V memory as 2x2GB modules in late November.  This generally worked okay, but with a couple of blue screens, until around 3 weeks ago when during a normal boot up the system refused to boot, giving a rapid succession of short beeps, which according to the motherboard manual means a power failure.  Upon removing the memory module in the Slot _3, the system booted with the single module.  Again running Memtest the working module (originally in Slot _1) passed multiple passes in both slots with no errors.  The other module gave the same rapid beep post failure in both slots so couldn't be tested.

In both cases the memory was set up to the default frequency, timings and voltage and the system has not been overclocked.

In addition to the above during a normal boot about a week before the second memory failure the system failed to boot, giving a Bios error (Chksum I think).  The dual bios kicked in and after about 30 minutes of multiple attempted copying of bios and reboots the Bios was eventually restored and the system booted.  I had orginally updated the Bios to F8, but it is now back to F4.

I have now arranged with Scan to RMA both the memory kits and also enquired about RMA'ing the motherboard, as it appears that the memory slot _3 may be damaging the memory, as it seems unlikely that I have received two batches of bad memory.  Their opinion was that it would be difficult to test as the module appears to be working correctly and any fault may be intermittent, so I may be better returning to the manufacturer.

Before I try and arrange this does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem.  Have I just got a flakey motherboard.  Could there be a fault with the voltage the motherboard is supplying the to the RAM slot which is causing the failures?  I don't really want to dismantle the computer to return the motherboard if any tests will just show up no faults, but I also don't want to be stuck in a never ending process of RMA'ing RAM.

If anyone has managed to get to the bottom of this monster post any help much appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:33:21 pm by Imperial109 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-H55M-UD2H Rev 1.0 – Multiple Ram Failures
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:02:00 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

From what you have described I would think you have just been unlucky with the memory modules and had two that didn't measure up. It can happen but always seems more than coincidental at the time.

If you have run Memtest and it has failed then the RAM is faulty, the same if it won't boot with a single stick. I would doubt very much whether there is a problem with the board gradually making the modules fail.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:12:02 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I think I will try the new RAM when I get it back and see how I get on.  Hopefully I have just been unlucky - I've never had a single memory failure in about 10 builds so to get two on the same one just felt unlikely.  I guess if the third lot fails I may have to look at the motherboard or other possible causes (what ever they may be).

The crashing of the Bios and then the repeated aborted attempts trying to copy the Dual Bios across also didn't seem right and made me wonder about the motherboard.  It must have taken 10-15 attempts where copying stopped midway through, computer rebooted and started again until it finally succeeded - it is the first time that the dual bios has ever kicked in so this may be normal although I was a bit worried that it had died forever!  I have no idea what caused the Bios error in the first place - I hadn't been into it in 2 months since I changed the RAM and went in to check the settings.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:15:50 pm »
Don't forget the bad memory would affect the BIOS as well. Try syncronising them once you have the Main BIOS updated to the version that you want to run at and then flash the Backup BIOS to match.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB