Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890FXA-UD5: Fans constantly set to max RPM

Baykal

Re: GA-890FXA-UD5: Fans constantly set to max RPM
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:22 am »
No I haven't installed any of the utilities. Are the ones on the disk the same as the ones found here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3519#utility ? I didn't install any of them because I didn't think I needed any.

Of course, it could be the stock cooler that's faulty, I hope not but I guess if nothing else works I'll have to replace it.

So there is no way to change the system fans speed with this board?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 11:28:34 am »
Yes, the utilities are the same and you are quite correct, you don't really need any of them. I never install these unless I am troubleshooting or checking things out.

Having now spent a few hours playing around this morning, I too am beginning to think there is an issue with the Fan Control Options on this motherboard. It isn't a problem for me but, that doesn't make it right. As Far as the System Fan Control goes, there is only the Option to Enable/Disable in BIOS but no actual parameters to adjust. I will install EasyTune6 to see if this offers any options and report back when I have done so.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:08:49 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »
OK,
EasyTune6 doesn't really offer much in the way of System Fan Control but it does allow you to set a Minimum and Maximum threshold for the CPU Fan.

It might be worthwhile Installing this programme just to see if it can give you better control over your CPU Fan and, if you find that your CPU Cooler is still running at the same RPM's then you'll know you have a faulty cooler.
Before you actually run EasyTune6 double check that you have enabled all of the Fan Control options in BIOS and that the AMD CoolNQuiet Control is also set to Auto.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Baykal

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »
Unsurprisingly, EasyTune6 does nothing, I can't control the CPU fan at all, still running at the same RPM, I guess its faulty then?

Can't control system fans either with it.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 12:42:20 pm »
It would seem as if your AMD Cooler is faulty as I can at least control the speed of the one I have attached to my system.

I will ask Gigabyte about the System Fan Control on this board and let you know what they have to say about that, but it might take a few days to get a reply so bear with me.

Baykal

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »
Okay, thanks a lot. I will await your reply before making my mind up about what to do with the CPU cooler.

Niffler

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 09:08:36 pm »
Can you borrow a cooler from someone? See if that works correctly. It might not be the cooler but the mobo control of it.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 12:11:49 pm »
Hi again,

there has been a similar situation reported on the Intel side of things and you might like to check it out here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3486.msg28160.html#msg28160

Information from Gigabyte is: Both fans in 890FXA-UD5 should change RPM depending to the CPU and System temp. Please mind not all the fans behave the same while treated with different voltage etc.

jolphil

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 01:11:33 pm »
Hi,
Am I wrong in thinking a 3 pin fan only has a tachometer included where as a 4 pin fan also has a tachometer and a pulse with modulation speed control? Is that the reason the OP's BIOS cannon control or set the 3 pin fan speed.. ???
I apologise for jumping in but I became confused..
jolphil