Official GIGABYTE Forum

Voltage/temperature problem GA-MA790X-UD4

Voltage/temperature problem GA-MA790X-UD4
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:09:49 am »
So I'm getting really high temperatures and voltages at idle (800 mhz power state) with a Phenom II 920 on a GA-MA790X-UD4 motherboard. The ambient case temperature is about 25*C yet I'm getting temperatures of 38-42*C per core in BIOS with a vcore of 1.12v idle. The vcore should only be 0.875v at the 800 mhz power state... according to AMD.

Yes, my heatsink and processor are properly seated (I've checked 4 times) and I applied a half of a rice grain amount of thermal interface material. I tried updating the BIOS from F2 to F4 and that only made the problem worse. My previous idle vcore was 1.04v... now like I said, it is 1.12v. The vcore on load is 1.42v and before it was 1.34v. I'm not sure what the rated vcore is at load but I believe it should not be this high.

I contacted AMD and they said there is either a problem with the VRM on the motherboard or a problem with the power supply. I also contacted Gigabyte about 2 weeks ago and they still haven't responded...

Anyone have any insight on how to troubleshoot where the problem lies?

Re: Voltage/temperature problem GA-MA790X-UD4
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:44:59 pm »
If my experiences are anything to go by, your board is doing what it is supposed to. I have a similar setup to yours (MA790FXT-ud5P with Phenom II 955BE) and on initial install I get similar results (40-42°C @ 1.344v), but the processor in my case is running at full speed (3200MHz). The figures only came down when I installed and enabled the Easy Energy Saver utility. Once enabled the core voltage dropped, the speed dropped, and the temperature dropped with it. When I set it voltage level 3 and enabled CPU throttling I got to 800MHz, 0.896v and the temperature dropped to below 35°C. The CPU power consumption also fell from about 49W to about 10W. I am using the latest version from the website rather than the slightly out of date version supplied with my board.

What I suspect you need to do is three things. First, make sure AMD K8 Cool&Quiet is enabled in the BIOS (should be under Advanced if its laid out the same as mine), second load the Cool&Quiet driver from the motherboard CD, and third download and install Easy Energy Saver. Once you have done that, turn Easy Energy Saver on, select the desired voltage level (1 is the highest voltage, 3 the lowest), turn on CPU throttling and then close Easy Energy Saver. At this point it should ask if you want it to run in Stealth Mode. If you reply yes the utility closes, but the hardware based energy saving routines based on the last settings remain active, even after a restart. However, please note that the only way I have found to get of energy saving mode after a restart with it enabled and force the processor back to full speed & voltage is to go into the BIOS and disable Cool&Quiet. After starting up with it disabled, it can be re-enabled in the BIOS on the next reboot and the processor will remain at full speed. Obviously this is only a potential issue if you're doing anything that needs the processor held at full output, i.e. if you're planning to overclock.

Even with the temperatures you're getting at the moment, your processor is perfectly safe. The PhenomII range is rated up to 62°C. Also, my previous computer (AthlonXP 2000+ based) usually had the processor running around 55-60°C and it qwas still going strong after 7.5 years of use when I pulled it out of the PC a month ago, and I'm planning to use it as the basis of a simple server and retro PC for running older applications and games that need proper Windows 98 and won't work in a virtual PC. By that score, without any special treatment, the PhenomII should easily outlast the software that can run on it providing it is not heavily overclocked.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:36:43 am »
Thanks for your help but that did not change anything.

I am still getting idles at 1.12v and loads at 1.42v after installing the Easy Energy Saver. Even if the utility worked I would not consider it a solution to the problem because then I would need a software package for hardware to function correctly, which doesn't make sense. And what if I ran Linux?

The problem lies somewhere else and considering after updating the BIOS the voltage went up I'm thinking it's the firmware.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:38:18 pm »
I have a slightly different setup.  A Phenom II 940 and an GA-MA790GP-UD4H.  I get the same voltage and temp numbers as you do with Speedfan.  I undervolted my processor (1.125 AMD OD, 1.21 read with Speedfan) and noticed that the voltage numbers displayed by AMD Overdrive and Speedfan were different by ~80 millivolts.  I am not sure which is correct but as long as my machine runs fine (and the load temps are below 55C, I like to play it safe) I am not concerned.

I just noticed that they came out with an F5 revision for my MB BIOS. I don't know why they skipped 4.  Anyone try it yet?

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:45:13 am »
There seems to be a problem with "Optimized defaults" in BIOS. When I select that option and save/exit the voltage goes to that 1.42v figure I was saying. When I set all voltages to manual or normal and save/exit the vcore goes to 1.34v.

Anyone else having this issue?

Also as a side question, does anyone know how I can check for / enable AHCI mode?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:46:34 am by Firestrider »

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:04:43 pm »
I suppose you installed the latest bios for the MA790X-UD4? probably F3 or F5?
Your problem lies there. The bios F3 and F5 for the MA790X-UD4 board are optimised bioses for users that have problems with unlocking the 4th core on their X3 and also to make the board more stable overall with overclocking settings.
The F3 and F5 bioses have an increased voltage for the reasons i explained above, therfore your temps are higher with thoses bioses.
(Those are quotes i received from an email from gigabyte)

So if you have an X4 or don't want to overclock your system, then i suggest you to flash the bios of your board back to a version primar to F3.
I think the bios F2A should be the best for you.

Hope it helped you out.

Note: Don't update a bios if your system runs fine, and always read the faq of the new bioses.

Regards
SFkilla