Official GIGABYTE Forum

MA785GM-US2H (rev 1.1) problem - should I RMA?

MA785GM-US2H (rev 1.1) problem - should I RMA?
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:18:37 am »
I tried to submit a question via Gigabyte Global Tech Support but they are suuuuuuuuper slow.

My issue: My on board video has started causing sporadic BSOD failures in Windows. I was able to remove the issue by disabling hardware acceleration in "display properties->advanced." I have wiped the hard disk and installed a fresh copy of windows and the most recent drivers from the AMD website but this has unfortunately not been successful at remedying the problem.

Specific symptoms: for example yesterday morning I was writing an email in Gmail when my keyboard stopped responding. I was still able to move the mouse for a few seconds but the computer would not respond. After a few more seconds the display went blank for a few moments then showed a Blue Screen stating that the display driver ("ati2dvag") had gone into an infinite loop. Please note that this is after performing a complete re-install of Windows to a blank hard drive on Friday night.

Now every time I start the computer, I get the following message: "ATI Catalyst™ Control Center cannot be started because the currently active GPU is not supported."  Bear in mind when I wiped the hard drive I installed the most recent drivers (Catalyst 11.1 as of Friday night).

CPU: Athlon II 630, 2.8Ghz (stock, no OC)
RAM: OCZ DDRII-400MHz, 4GB
350w Antec 80+ PSU
two hard drives, one DVD-RW drive, no other peripherals
Drivers: Catalyst 11.1

So, my question is, this board is less than a year old (still under warranty).  Is there any reason I shouldn't RMA it?  Appreciate swift responses!

Re: MA785GM-US2H (rev 1.1) problem - should I RMA?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:09 am »
Oh - also I'm using Win XP SP3, 32-bit.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:00:59 am »
Hi there,

before RMA'ing the Motherboard you could try the even newer ATI 11.2 drivers that were released on the 15/2/2011
 You can download them from here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »

Well, I upgraded to Catalyst 11.2 - and tried upping the memory voltage from the default 1.8V to 2.1V, since the label on the memory said 2.2V (on the advice of Gigabyte tech support).  Even ran Memtest86+ overnight and passed, including a bit fade test.

Still having the same problem.  I can't see any way around RMA'ing the board at this point, unless anyone else can think of something I can't?

Thanks everyone