Official GIGABYTE Forum

EP35C-DS3R ALIVE BUT NO POST

Toppam

EP35C-DS3R ALIVE BUT NO POST
« on: August 09, 2009, 07:14:10 pm »
Hi there, I have searched the forums using the phrases 'no post' and with my mobo name, but without relevant results.

I am sure I am just another Newbie with a poblem that probably has an obvious solution but here goes ...

I have the subject Mobo with a 600W PSU, Rev 2.1 and latest BIOS (unless it's changed in last 2 weeks!).

Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 with Zalman CNPS 9500AT heat sink.

4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 Memory and Zotac GEForce 8600GT Graphics Card.

2 x 500GB SATA II HDDs.

It's worked fine in this configuration for the last 7 weeks.

Switched on the PC this morning and it starts to power-up (all fans spinning, and Mobo indicator lights al light up), then after 2-3 secs it powers off. It then switches itself on again then off and continues this cycle until I remove the power from the PSU.

I have changed the memory for 2 GB of 667MHz and the processor for a Pentium D which I believe is supported, removed all other items (including the graphics card, but no change.

My conclusion is that the problem is with the Mobo, but before I raise an RMA, does anyone on here have any other suggestions?

Thanks for looking

Toppam
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:14:49 pm by Toppam »

Toppam

Re: EP35C-DS3R ALIVE BUT NO POST
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 07:38:57 pm »
More searching reveals this from another (lesser ;) ) forum:

Gigabyte has a problem (one they admit to) with too many boards that exibit exactly what you are reporting. Though it could well be something else, my feeling is you are experiencing the "dreaded" Gigabyte reboot cycle.

If my hunch is correct, an RMA is the fix. If you'd like an idea of how prevalent the problem is, just Google dreaded Gigabyte reboot cycle. One of my 'puters does the reboot thing ocasionally, and I just switch it off @ the PSU, wait about 1 minute, switch it back on and hit the start button. Problem solved. It's a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R

albeit a different Mobo.

Toppam

Pottypete

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:50 pm »
Hi
Could be!!  make sure any wake-up event in the BIOS is turned off. If they are on, then it sometimes loops but other times not.
Are you overclocking?
Any beeps from mobo?
Disconnect any  attatched USB devices
Try one stick of ram!,
You running a raid setup?
Has it only occured since you last bios update, (2 weeks ago)
Chin up ;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:08:19 pm by Pottypete »

Toppam

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 12:55:41 pm »
Hi PottyPete

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It only occurred yesterday for the first time.

Not overclocking.
No beeps.
Tried one stick of RAM and different speeds of RAM (not mixed).
No RAID.
Don't get as far as a splash screen (or any screen!), so no BIOS.

Have tried clearing BIOS (removing battery and shorting terminals, and also by shorting CLR_CMOS pins) with no change.

Toppam

Pottypete

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:56 pm »
Hi,
Hit delete every 1/2 secs on booting,
can you access bios now?
press F9 in main bios menu then you should be able to see what are the versions of both main and backup bioses
If no boot try removing power supply lead/ removing cmos batt, short pins for 10mins,
could suggest you remove mobo and assemble outside case and try booting, in case of mobo shorting out, or an object trapped somewhere from build,
Hope that one of the other formites help, as i'm lost for idea's now :'(

Toppam

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »
Thanks again, but no joy I am afraid.

The fans power up for about 2 secs then off for 5.

Even hitting Del rapidly during the brief period the fans are on has no effect.

I have tried all ways to clear CMOS, but no joy. Th last thing left is to take the Mobo out and try it on the bench, but before I do I am going to wait for Gigabyte to respond to a formal request for help. Unfortunately, this is my main PC and I'm struggling without it (good job it's all backed-up).

Regards

Toppam

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 08:06:54 pm »
Have you tried another PSU?,I had a dogey one that led me a song and dance once,
And are all your power connections sound?
Hope you get it sorted soon,
Regards

Toppam

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:11:04 pm »
I don't have another PSU to hand, but will borrow one from work tomorrow.

I did pull the separate 12v ATX power cable, which stopped the cycling, but with no other progress (ie no POST, or display).

Thanks again, I will report back any news from Gigabyte and let you know if I get any success with a different PSU.

Toppam

Toppam

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 06:02:44 pm »
I haven't been able to get hold of a PSU yet, but I was hoping to get a response from Gigabyte by now - does anyone have any experience of their Global Technical Service?

I've been waiting for 4 working days now for a reply (or even an acknowledgement) to  technical request, but so far nothing. Taking the board back to the supplier is not really something I want to do if I can help it, but if I do I want it to be on the advice of GA themselves.

Toppam

Toppam

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 06:59:48 pm »
 :(Finally got a response from GA - 5 days later.

Basically told to do what's suggested here. All done outside the box and still the same results. I think I'd just like them to get on and give me an RMA for a replacement. If they can't or won't then it can go back to the seller. :(

Toppam

Pottypete

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:36 pm »
Hi, Toppham,
I have had mobo's that were faulty in some way or other and found the guys and gals at gigabyte extremly polite and excepionally helpfull
even phoning me at home  to replicate the exact problem,
They even replaced a damaged ZIF component that was caused by own stupidity :-X
Submit a rma request yourself (it will cost you a tenner for return  P/P) and,
you get it returned quicker than waiting for your supplier to send it  ;D
Unless they have one in stock and exchange it for you from stock after testing,
hope you get it sorted soon ;D
We gave it our best shot mate ;)

Toppam

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:31 pm »
Yeah thanks Pottypete.

I think I may take a trip down to London tomorrow and get the supplier to test it for me. It wasn't my preferred option, but if it turns out that there is a a problem with, say, the PSU I will at least be able to get another one.

I bought the Processer and Board together, so thay can test both (though I tried another processor with no improvement).

Thanks again, I will be sure to report back.

Regards Toppam

Pottypete

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08:25 pm »
Hi Toppham.
There is a three year guarantee with the mobo I believe,
Hopefully all sorted tomorrow ;D
Regards

Toppam

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:53 pm »
The following is the latest response from GA:

HI

No definite answers for you I’m afraid. It's one of those cases that would need to be physically checked.

Please return to your dealer for 2nd opinion or RMA. Sorry for any inconvenience.

As it is, I went down to the dealer on Saturday and they swapped it for me. They suggested it might be a capacitor problem, but I don't suppose we'll ever know. The chap I spoke to said they'd not had any others returned (and couldn't recall ever receiving one with this fault - guess I must just be unlucky).

Anyway, I got the new MoBo home and it sparked up first time so I am a happy bunny. Now I just have to get the 1066 RAM to run at the correct speed - I might have to start a new thread if I can't get the info from a search on here!

Pottypete

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 09:44:47 pm »
Hi M8,
Off you go then newbies o/clock guide, i'm reading it too ;D

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=2057083&enterthread=y
And getting your ram to work @ 1066
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-249644_12_0.html
Stay a happy bunny, the world needs them 8)
Regards