Official GIGABYTE Forum

Bios recovery questions

Bios recovery questions
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:23:09 am »
In advanced bios settings, I have enabled 'backup bios image to hdd'. In case of bios corruption, how will this image be used to recover? What steps would I have to take?

Thanks

Re: Bios recovery questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:39:07 am »
Also I downloaded from gigabyte website Bios version F3. I noticed it is an executable, and Q flash cannot see it. So how would I install it?

Also I had a recent bios scare, and I would like to know how to completely erase and replace the bios if needed. Can Q flash do this, or would I need a nother utility?

I noticed my board (ga-ep43t-ud3l) has a dual bios setup. Does this render my concerns moot? Can the backup bios replace the main bios automatically, if it is corrupted, or do I have to do something manually?

Thanks.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:40:56 am »
Hi there,

The BIOS image saved to the HDD is accessed automatically if the BIOS becomes corrupted and you would need to do nothing. The same also applies to the Back-Up BIOS Chip (Dual BIOS).

Using QFlash you don't use the exe file. Check here for how to update your BIOS: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html This will re-write the BIOS in the Main BIOS Chip. The BIOS in the Back-up chip is not affected by flashing main BIOS and if you want to check what BIOS versions you are running then pressing the F9 key when you are at the BIOS home screen will show you.

If you want to flash the Main BIOS to the Back-up chip then you need to hold the "Alt" and "F12" keys during POST (when you first switch on the PC) You may have to try this a few times before it will work, especially if you are using a USB Keyboard.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:16:40 pm »
Thanks, that answered all my questions  ;D

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »
Pleased to have been able to help.  :)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.