Official GIGABYTE Forum

high Vcore and Vid - GA-880GM-UD2H, corsair ddr3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C, AMD 955

new_Kid

I originally started a topic
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,4634.msg36474.html#msg36474, Should I have continued this topic or locked it.

My new PC is built using Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H motherboard Rev 1.0, corsair ddr3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C (1.5v 2x4gb), AMD 955 phenom II. I have also bought a good psu ie XFX PRO 650W. There is HDD and 2 DVD drives. I have XP 64 bit installed. BIOS upgrade from F4 to F8 and updated the EasyTune6.

Like others, I too encountered a problem with setting Sata drives to AHCI mode, I read a solution in this forum but will investigate it after resolving other issues. PS Using Sata2-0 port for HDD dis not solve the AHCI issue. I am using Native IDE, at least this way I can check everything else works. And other problem of the Fan and Temperature warning enabled causing problems but sovled by searching this forum. XP 64 works fine.

MY PROBLEM is that the voltages reported for the DDR3 is high ie 1.600v and the Vcore 1.472v as apposed to 1.5V and 1.35v respectively. I bought the  "corsair ddr3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C (1.5v 2x4gb)" to be compatible with this motherboard which states DDR3 1.5V, it did cost more than the 1.6v version of the same DDR3. My DDR3 is 1600mhz which running as 1333mhz as I was  informed.

The CPU is not overclocked and nor is the DDR3. My problem presented here existed before and after I upgraded Bios and Easy Tune6.

Bios "MB Intelligent Tweaker" shows Normal CPU Vcore  as 1.400v. The SYSTEM VOLTAGE CONTROL is set to AUTO.

EasyTune6  showsVotlage 1.470V, Family=F, model=4, stepping=3,CPU=3221.16Mhx. The Tuner tab with the advance option shows Vid=1.475v and Dimm=1.600v for both pwer on and target.

So my CPU is running at a higher voltage as is the DDR3. In the BIOS i can change the CPU NB Vid control or CPU volyage control. As i am a new builder I dont know if I should and if things are really normal.

I have read the following
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,4656.0.html
        Topic: Wrong DDR Voltage Reading in BIOS With MA770T-UD3P Rev 1.0  (Read 198 times)
 this also refers to:
       http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.15.html
               Topic: GA-MA770T-UD3P reports wrong vdimm  (Read 1505 times)

I am a little confused.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi again,

different question..... New thread...... no problem! You don't need to worry about locking off the old one either.  ;)

I'm not sure why your BIOS settings are being reported differently in EasyTune6 and it might be worth trying CPUZ and/or AMD Overdrive just to check how they are reporting these figures.

When you updated the BIOS did you use QFlash or @BIOS? Whichever method you used, the first thing I would do is re-flash BIOS using the QFlash Utility just to make sure that the update didn't develop a glitch. Remember before updating BIOS to disable the "Keep DMI Data" option and once the flash process has been completed restart the PC,  load Optimised Default, press F10 to save, reboot and, go back into BIOS if you need to make any changes.

You might well find the the CPU voltage varies under load and this is part of the Turbo Core Option and is normal. If you want to reduce the voltage on the CPU you should alter the CPU VCore option (CPU Voltage Control) If you drop this back too far the system will become unstable and you will get BSOD's. If you decide to try changing this don't make  large jumps to the settings, take it slowly.

The same apples for the RAM Voltage and any changes should be gradual. You will soon now if you have pulled it back to far.

If things go wrong, don't worry, clear CMOS  ( check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2286.0.html ) and you can start again.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

new_Kid

Previously I used @BIOS to load F8 version of the bios, I reloaded F4 via QFLASH just to double ckeck something. Then I reloaded F8 via QFLASH via floppy disk. "Keep DMI Data" option was enabled as well as "Load Optimised Default" autmatically - user not allowed to changed them. On restart I "Load Optimised Default" etc.  I  got the same problems in both bios versions as I originally reported, I used CPUZ and EasyTune6 for checking.

Only CPU Voltage Control tweaked by -0.050v, F10 to save bios and resboot, enter bios to check Pc health - which now shows 1.35v as target. In windows using CPUZ and EasyTune6 cpu voltage is 1.344v and 1.350v respectively.  The change I made in bios was only -0.050 so I should be seeing (1.472-0.050)=1.422v. There is something wrong with the way Gigabyte board is presenting the voltage values in respect to intial value and change I made.   My cpu voltage is now 1.35v so i am happy.

Ram Problem : F4 and F8 Bios does not allow you to reduce the DDR3 Control Voltage - only increase the values. Increasing the value is reflected as increase from base value of 1.600v. I wonder if others have same problem with this motherboard - maybe the Bios has a bug in it.

Please help/advise. I am tempted to get 1.65v DDR3 to avoid any possible long term problems.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:27:10 pm by new_Kid »

absic

• Bandcamp
As I said previously, I'm not sure why you are having these problems and, like you, I suspect the BIOS might have a glitch.

I have asked runn3R (the Forum Moderator) to have a look at this for you and, as he actually works for Gigabyte he might be able to find the proper answer for you.

In the short term, your RAM shouldn't have any issue running at the slightly higher voltage so I don't think it's worthwhile spending money on different modules just yet.  ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

new_Kid

Thanks for your reply, I did loaded the Bios several times from @Bios and QFlash, I physically downloaded the BIOS from AMD web site.

I will wait for further response.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Absic it might be worth trying a complete reset from the Backup BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

jolphil

quote from absic
Remember before updating BIOS to disable the "Keep DMI Data"

quote from New kid

Then I reloaded F8 via QFLASH via floppy disk. "Keep DMI Data" option was enabled as well as "Load Optimised Default" autmatically

Was this a typo or did New kid use the "old" DMI data?
jolphil

absic

• Bandcamp
Just to get back to the original question about reported voltages, I have had this reply from Gigabyte:
It's not H/W or BIOS bug, it's done on purpose. The MB applies around 0.1 V higher voltage to both components by default to increase the stability and OC capabilities. This is within the margin of these components.

hopefully this answers the original question.

new_Kid

Yes, a typo. I did disable the "Keep DMI.." option. But I did not try clearing the cmos manually.

Just NOW, using QFLASH I Have reloaded F4 from USB stick, that is the version that came with the board and had saved it to USB stick. I cleared the CMOS manually via the jumper. I rebooted and used QFLASH to load F8 with "Keep DMI.." option disabled, this time I used a floppy beacuase F4 does recognise USB stick- the F8 on the floppy was made via DOS window from within windows using the /v switch. after reboot I did "load optimized defaults" and F10, reboot and changed bios setting for boot up order etc and F10. I have to load F4 to ensure F8 is loaded as a fresh copy, reloading F8 onto F8 does not go through the reload process - it looks like it simply checks the existing and new version, and if same does not reload.

The same problem still exists.

I was locked out of my topic from replying to it  due the cmos clearing that changed my date/time - after I reset it just hours after I was able to access my topic normally. Hence delay to responding.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:15:45 pm by new_Kid »

new_Kid

Having waited to get further replies (maybe one from runn3R) but got none, a few days ago I logged my problem with Gigabyte as below:

Sent :  4/5/2011 18:32
Question :  BIOS upgraded from F4 to F8 and updated the EasyTune6. The CPU is not overclocked and nor is the DDR3. My problem existed before and after I upgraded Bios from F4 to F8 and to Easy Tune6.

I contacted Gigabyte forum for help initially, but no more response from them after I tried all their help. See my entry
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,4763.0.html

XP 64 works fine.

MY PROBLEM is that the voltages reported for the DDR3 is high ie 1.600v. I bought the "corsair DDR3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C (1.5v 2x4gb)to be compatible with this motherboard which states DDR3 1.5V.

EasyTune6 - Tuner tab with the advance option shows Dimm=1.600v for both power on and target.

I tried using one 4gb module only, then tried the other one 4gb module only - but got same 1.600V.

Bios Intelligent Tweaker does not allow you to reduce the DDR3 voltage, it only allows you to increase the DDR3 voltage control in steps of +0.050v, if I increase by 1 step it displays 1.650v. So I exited without changing anything.

So it looks like the base voltage for the ram is 1.6v for this
motherboard. My DDR3 is 1.5v type.

How can I set the DDR3 voltage to 1.5V

NOTE It is not possible to get rev 1.3 or 1.4 board which is what I wanted, suppliers do not guarantee what they send from their stock nor do they know what they have in stock due to mix and quantity of large stock.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-880GM-UD2H(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : F8
Serial No. : sn101840035726
Purchase Dealer : Micrologic computer supplies ltd
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand :       Model :
CPU Brand : AMD      Model : 955      Speed : 3.2ghz
Operation System : Win XP 64-bit      SP : 3
Memory Brand :       Type : DDR3
Memory Size : 2x4gb      Speed : 1600Mhz
Power Supply : xfx pro650 W

corsair ddr3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C (1.5v 2x4gb)

I got my reply from Gigabyte:

Answer :  Hi,

We slightly increase the memory voltage in order to improve the compatibility/stability for most of memory modules.

I was so dispappointed  that they simply  dont care about the fact they advertise 1.5v DDR3 memory for the motherboard and in their motherboard manual, users like me believe their documentation and buy 1.5v DDR3 only to find they forcibly apply 1.6v to the  DDR3 as the base voltage with no option to reduce this voltage.

I will never buy or trust Gigabyte again.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:07:05 pm by new_Kid »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Hi

XP 64 works fine.

If it is working fine what are you complaining about ? Often the memory voltage is increased to give extra stability especiallly if you want to overclock your system.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

new_Kid

Ok it works, this is my first build and maybe I am being over cautious/sensitive. I dont want any reason for my PC to fail because some aspect of it is operationg outside the written spec for the parts I used. Maybe the PC will work without any problems for a long time irrespective of the higher DDR3.

On the other side if the DDR3 or Phenom 955 fails where do I stand with the warranty.

Also, for a large company like Gigabyte how long would it take to update their website to reflect that they have changed the spec on their motherboard. When I selected the motherboard I looked at the spec on various websites that were selling this mother board - BUT to be absolutley sure there were no misprint/quote/overstatements I went to the Gigabyte website to recheck the spec. If I had known the DDR3 voltage was changed from 1.5v to 1.6v I would have bought 1.6v DDR3 ( the same corsair DDR3 which was 1.6V was £20 cheaper).

Now, the money is not so important as my piece of mind.  I am not experienced like you guys so I maybe making a mountain out of mole.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
I can appreciate how you feel and I don't know why the specs weren't changed although I can't say I am really surpised as things get overlooked that should be altered. I would have been more put out if your system had not been operating properly. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi there,

I can understand your concern but I don't think you should be unduly concerned about the slight voltage increase to the RAM. Gigabyte wouldn't have done this if it wasn't OK and it is done to improve system stability. But, I have to say that, it would help, if Gigabyte updated their website to reflect the RAM voltage settings

If you check on the internet, there are plenty of people, myself included, who push their components to the limits and I wouldn't be worried by a 0.1V increase to my RAM modules and have gone higher than this on several occasions when O/C'ing. The increased RAM voltage will not affect your CPU and there is more risk to it if you increase the  RAM speed above 1333 MHz.

Relax and enjoy your new PC which I am sure will serve you well.

jolphil

Hi all,
I have to agree with New Kid on this one..If you can't believe specifications, then what else can you believe?
It is easy enough to add a note somewhere so buyers can be informed..Specs are subject to change anytime..
That is well documented...Well then do it..Shame on Gigabyte and any other Manufacturer that does not follow through..
If Gigabyte increased the voltage to compensate for board IR losses and said so,that is one thing..If they did it to increase their performance/advantage, that is another thing entirely and should give the user the option to opt out if desired..
jolphil  :(