Official GIGABYTE Forum

P45-DS5 RAID0 ICH10R "Member Offline" Disaster

cscuk

P45-DS5 RAID0 ICH10R "Member Offline" Disaster
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:28:14 am »
I had a P35-DS4, in May 2009 it experienced the dreaded Gigabyte cycle of death but I did not know that is what it was, local PC builder decided it was dead motherbaord, we rebuilt on P45-DS5 because existing motherboard model no longer available. Built RAID0 volume on 4 SATAII internal disks, later rebuilt to 6 disk volume using eSATA bracket and 2 more disks of same make and model, this volume worked for a while.
During Vista Updater, trying to go from SP0 towards SP2, Vista Updater started reported az bunch of failed updates, then eventually duringa reboot after an update attempt I got the blue screen of death; repairer said corrupted master boot record. After reinstallation, started getting problems with the RAID0 volume, "member offline" during reboot for all the 6 disks. Everytime you delete the raid volume and rebuild it you get the same problme on reboot, this is interminable and fatal.

System is otherwise as follows:

Intel 3.0GHz QX6850 quadcore processor.
Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP0.
For RAID0 volume: 4 internal plus two external SATAII 500Gb disks.
For op sys installation, 150Gb SATA disk.
For general data, a 500Gb SATA disk.
BluRay writer from LG.
The GSATAII controller appears only to work as RAID1 controller, so these last 3 devices set on two 2-port SATA controller expansion cards.
8Gb RAM.
BlackMagic 1080i video capture card.

Machine is dead from Mat 2009 to now, and continuing into the future.
Thanks.

Pottypete

Re: P45-DS5 RAID0 ICH10R "Member Offline" Disaster
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:30 am »
Hi
Got this from another post regarding raid,

"If you  use a raid setup and flash the bios, the defaults are reinstated, that is no raid. I you try to boot  ,the process breaks the logical raid array. And you're fackered. I fixed it by booting off the Ultimate BootCD and running the raid repair process. Then resetting the BIOS to raid5,"
It may help

Re: P45-DS5 RAID0 ICH10R "Member Offline" Disaster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:06:31 am »
Hi,

You didn;t say what make and model of hard disks that you were using.

There was a problem with some of the earlier Samsung Spinpoint drives where this sort of problem ocurrs, it requires a firmware update on the drives available from the Samsung Support website.

Andy