Official GIGABYTE Forum

Novice trying to Overclock GA-890GPA-UD3H

Gables

Novice trying to Overclock GA-890GPA-UD3H
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find a simple novices guide to overclocking, and how to use EasyTune6 please.
The software has not been properly thought out, the help file is very poor, it has errors and shows different images to what is actually available.
When I go to the EasyTune 6 Tuner Tab, it only has an Easy, and an Advance button. The Quick Boost button that is shown in the help file is missing, but it does have an Easy Boost button.
When I press the Easy Boost button, I see the bargraph move from left to right, then it starts over and over again and all day long. So I press the cancel button and then the save button. Does it matter what name I save it as?
It doesn't tell me anywhere, but I assume that I need to tick Auto load last save on next reboot, and Auto overclock last tune on next reboot.
After running the Easy Boost, I have noticed no difference in performance, I would appreciate help in getting me started in understanding how to set it all up.
Many thanks
David
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:08:59 pm by runn3R »

Gables

Re: Novice trying to Overclock GA-890GPA-UD3H
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:17:58 pm »
So dissapointng that after weeks of waiting for a reply, not even someone from Giga-byte can be bothered to offer some sot of assistance or some advice.
I can only conclude that this is a very poor site...
David

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »
I am sorry that nobody has replied to you which is unusual but it was only a few days ago that you posted the thread here. I suspect that it has just got overlooked. In retrospect you probably would have got a better reception if you had posted in the AMD section.

I am not the best person to council you on this as I am the Moderator for the Intel section. I am sure absic the AMD Moderator could help you though.

I would however steer you away from using programs like ET6 as they are more gimmicky and not so powerful as doing it through the BIOS. It takes a little more understanding but is the real way to OC.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »
Hi there,

Overclocking is not an exact science and what works for one system may not and often doesn't work for someone else's PC, hence the fact that it is often very difficult to find what you need to get started.

You might be interested in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFGPJEIVPto which hopefully will answer some of your initial questions and if you have any specific doubts or queries after watching it post back and I will do my best to help you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Gables

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:09 pm »
Many thanx Dark Mantis, I have just watched the utube video and made my first changes to the bios.
I will persevere and come back if I get stuck.
David