Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.0) and Windows corruption issue?

Bane

GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.0) and Windows corruption issue?
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:01:35 pm »
This is the motherboard in question GA-MA78GM-S2H revision 1.0

Sorry for the long post.  I’m after feedback from anyone who owned this motherboard and suffered similar problems.  As I think it came with a 3 year manufacturer warranty that expires soon, so it would be easier to get it exchanged for a newer revision that continue to problem shoot it.

Computer specification:
Case: Silverstone Tenjim TJ08 with included two case fans connected to PSU - Sensor cable now disconnect from motherboard.
PSU: Corsair VX450W
CPU: Athlon X2 4050e
RAM: Corsair XMS2 PC6400 TwinX 2GB (2x1GB) - In the two slots nearest CPU.
HDD: Western Digital WD3200AAKS on S-ATA port 0 - This was during the annoying crossover period when WD kept same model name for single platter model.  This is the multiple platter version.
Other drives: two IDE optical drives (1x CD-RW, 1x DVD-ROM), one floppy disk drive 1.44MB

Now this might be a pre-emptive post, as I did a major overhaul and reinstall of the system recently.  But as with previous visits the issue has always returned eventually.  So I’m not hopeful the overhaul will have made any difference.  And I'm not at the same location if have further questions that require me to inspect system.

Historical:
On previous visits I have updated the BIOS to newest non-beta version at time of visit, and done a restore to optimised defaults then made alterations such as boot order and use onboard graphics.

The first issue that appeared some months after usage (can’t remember time frame) included cold starts and a constant buzzer/beep sound that lasted a few seconds.  I have put this down to system fan failure sensor option in BIOS, so have disconnected the single yellow wire from motherboard fan headers (case fans connected directly to PSU Molex cables, but had a motherboard connector with single wire for RPM monitoring?).  Have also disabled in BIOS the system fan failure alarm.

Second issue was Windows XP suffering corruption, e.g. needing repair at black screen before Windows desktop, and registry recovery messages when boot to Windows desktop.  And a recent dual install of Windows 7 suffered corruption after picking W7 from boot menu (W7 was on D: partition)

When I’ve inspected system previously there have been no issues in Event Viewer indicating problems with HDD or cable.  And a physical check of cable connections had none loose.  I used to think it could be low temperature related so computer has been moved to a different room recently since major overhaul.

After assembly the RAM was tested using Memtest 86+, and I have asked user to perform repeat run since major overhaul visit to check still all fine (awaiting photo of screen).

The hard drive scanned fine using WDC Data Lifeguard v5.19 (Dec 2010), but I didn’t perform a full surface scan due to time requirements.

Most recent fix:
The major overhaul I did that might have eliminated future corruption issue, but only time will tell:
  • Updated BIOS to F11.
  • Removed case fans sensor cables from motherboard and disabled fan alarm for case fans (this was still going off after F11 BIOS).
  • Changed S-ATA controller from IDE mode to ACHI.
  • Deleted all partitions and installed Windows 7 32-bit, so now has the 100MB W7 created partition before user created partitions.
  • Installed Windows 7 32-bit (Home Premium).  Updated to SP1 using pre-downloaded SP1.  And all subsequent updates installed via Windows Update.
  • Used AMD chipset driver from Gigabyte website v8.641 (14/08/2009)
  • Replaced USB modem with a router connected by network cable for internet access.

System is free from dust because case filter, so no internal cleaning has ever been needed or done.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.0) and Windows corruption issue?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »
Hi there,

Not encountered this particular issue despite putting 10 builds together using this particular motherboard. However, I used IDE Mode in all of those builds as I did have a few issues with AHCI mode.

Apart from the fact that I used a variety of CPU's the only other thing that jumps out at me is the choice of PSU. In all of my builds I have used a 550Watt PSU or greater and I have come across similar issues when the system is slightly underpowered. However, your 450 Watt PSU should not really be the issue but it is something worth considering.

Faced with your issues I would probably revert to Native IDE Mode for the SATA Controller, unless you need Hot-swap or eSATA capabilities as I have found this to be the most reliable approach on this particular motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Bane

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:30:37 pm »
Thought I would clear up this thread, as I'm happy to report no issues since what I listed in "Most recent fix" section.  Although computer still has to experience cold temperatures.

Shame I don't know which specific action eliminated problems, but I read about Dual BIOS on a different model causing problems.  So maybe flashing BIOS removed a gremlin occurrence out of flash memory.

Hoping it carries on.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:01:56 am »
Thanks for the update and it's nice to know that everything seems to be fine now, even if you are not sure which particular step resolved the problem.  :D
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.