Official GIGABYTE Forum

New PC Build...Any Thoughts Welcome

Re: New PC Build...Any Thoughts Welcome
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »

My other concerns are all the cables that need to be plugged into the MOBO, seems a bit intimidating, I want to make sure I plug everything into the right spots. I am going to have a Lap top next to me watch " HOW TO" videos and I will read the MOBO instructions3-4 times over, but still kinda antsy about it.
http://

Sleepless in LA,

WOW!  That looks like a very, very nice system and well educated/thought out choice of components!  I believe you will do just fine.

Regarding plugging in the wires and all that...

Gigabyte's manuals are very clear and easy to understand.  You will do just fine as you carefully follow their manual.  Take your time, read it well, and ask DM and/or Absic for their sequence steps for the build [they have it down to a T].

To be honest with you, at first, building your own rig can initially appear a little overwhelming, but in reality it is much simpler than it really appears.

Best of all, you have DM and several others here to help walk you through any challenging parts of the build.

For me, the most challenging part of "plugging" in the wires is getting the computer case f_panel wires [front panel] plugged in correctly to the motherboard.  As you carefully read both the motherboard manual and the computer case manual, they will show you exactly how to do it.

The other most challenging part for me usually is applying the correct amount of TIM [thermal paste] to the CPU and CPU cooler heatsink.  You would do well to read a good article and/or watch a good video on that.  After seeing how to do it, it is a piece of cake....very easy.

My favorite instructional website for applying TIM is here: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=4

I believe you have chosen an HDT CPU [heatpipe direct touch] cooler.  The Benchmarks website I gave you above has some special advice for applying TIM for this type of CPU Cooler.  Here it is: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

Finally, for me, there have been multiple times when I could not fit my medium sized hands into the computer case to attach the 8 prong power plug to the motherboard!  Even with tweezers, surgical instruments, etc. I just could not do it...not enough room for my hands...fortunate for me, my wife has very small and very strong hands and she finished it off for me each time there was a problem [she noticed I needed help after seeing my ears glowing neon red and watching me yell and scream at the computer for a couple of hours]!

So, a wife with small strong hands has come in handy for me.  A nice niece, nephew, grandchild, etc. could help out just fine too!

Perhaps the best advice I can give you is take your time and enjoy the process!

Surgeon, you will do just fine and we all look forward to seeing your new build!  Please post some pics and benchmarks for us!

Have a good one!

Soar

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:10:06 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti