Phobya Nano-2G 12 PWM 1500 RED LED Review

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:52:28 pm »
by Dark Mantis

I have been sent another fan from the Phobya ever expanding listing. This is a little bit different from the ordinary run of the mill

fans that most manufacturer's, including Phobya are producing. I will go into that more a little later. The fan comes in the by now

well known standard Phobya box, they have put a lot of trouble into producing a brand image and I shouldn't think there are many

people who wouldn't recognise the logo or colours/design.In the front of the box is a triangular window through which you can see the

fan. On the reverse is the usual blurb extolling the virtues in three languages English, French and German.

This fan looks different from the outset as it has twice the normal number of blades for a 120 mm. It has fourteen blades in  total

seven black and seven red evenly interspaced. This obviously has a bearing on the amount of air that can be moved at a given speed.

It has the Nano fan bearings that Phobya are pushing hard as they are the way forward and waterproofed. To go with this they enable a

much quieter operation and a maximum noise level of 25 dB/A at the top speed of 1500 RPM. At that speed the fan will shift anamazing

64.3 CFM of air. This is no mean achievment for quite a gentle spin. A minimum voltage of 7v is enough to get the fan started so it

will run from 600 RPM if you want it even quieter.

The mean time between failures is given as 100,000 hours and allows Phobya to give a three year warranty. One feature that I like

especially is that the manufacturer always braids their cables. This gives a real quality look and is done in black with matching

heatshrink at the ends. The cable terminates in a four pin PWM header block. To add a bit of extra bling the fan case houses four red

LEDs.

Again as with all their fans this one features the easy to clean pull off blade unit. The whole hub simply pulls off the fan housing

and means that it is very quick and easy to clean when the time comes. There is no complete dismatling of the fan from the case and

removing the wiring etc.

Noise levels are very acceptable even at full speed, at the lower levels it is very quiet and starts off from 10dB/A which is

practically silent. The black and red plastic parts are finished in a very shiny black or red, what would normally be called piano finish.

Basically an extremely capable fan that doesn't trade off performance for an uncomfortable noise level. At the level of pricing

that this component is set at it is very good value.  I award it 9/10 as it is hard to fault.

Supplier : C and C Central   http://www.candccentral.co.uk/    Price : £12.49

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:30:46 am by runn3R »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K