Official GIGABYTE Forum

I would need your advice regarding two mATX motherboards

Kenshiro

Re: I would need your advice regarding two mATX motherboards
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:56:58 pm »
Hi again  ;D

I thought that I should give an update on things...

Being a relatively new mobo, the GA-880GMA-USB3 (no firewire)  is not yet available in my shop....
This AM3+ thing was nagging in my mind, so they told me in the shop that the msi 890gxm-g65 has exactly the same characteristics, with Bios update proven to work with AM3+ cpu.  I almost fell for it, but it has no fireware, no pata, and other missing stuff.  True, the SATA ports are better distributed, has military components (durability?), more space between pci slots..etc...etc....

Anyway, as of today, no mATX has front panel support (f.p.s.)  for USB3 yet, neither GB nor msi, nor ASUS, a few Asus ATX boards yes though.

What would be the point for me in getting the somehow dubious am3+ boards and change again when manufacturers start adding f.p.s. for USB3 on mATX boards ?   One can't be changing mobos just like underpants.
I just was hoping to jump onto a 8 core AMD and increase my points for the folding@home project.

I'll stick to the 880GMA-UD2H which I had originally on my mind and will see how things develop in the future. My X6 1090T will definitely last for a long period of time. I give it two years and we'll all see new mobos with USB3 f.p.s. and AM4...

You see,  sometimes it turns out that the first thing you were thinking was the right move...

Cheers,
Ken
If you are not now - you never were...