Official GIGABYTE Forum

Phobya Nano-G12 Silent Waterproof 1500rpm multioption Fan Review

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Phobya Nano-G12 Silent Waterproof 1500rpm multioption

By Dark Mantis

This fan comes in the by now standardised and easilly recognised Phobya box bearing the company's logo and colours. It has a window in so that the fan itself can be viewed without having to open the packaging. On the reverse is printed the specifications and technical details in three different languages, English, German and French.

Removing the fan from the box and straight away I can see it is well designed and made. The cables are long at roughly 50 cm and braided with a black 1.8" braid and finished on the ends with matching heatshrink. People that know me will understand that this is a good start for any review item! It is the attention to detail that can make or break a product.

The connection is a standard 3 pin motherboard fan plug. There are no LEDs on this model presumably because it is waterproof. The casing is made of shiny black acrylic with the fan blades a transparent red tone. Also included in this kit is a couple of extra cables that allow speed control via a voltage drop resistor. One gives 5v and the other 7v supply voltage to the fan giving a choice of three speeds. Again these extra cables are braided neatly.

The novel thing about all these Phobya fans is that they come apart for ease of cleaning. The centre hub with the blades attached can be literally popped out of the socket and then cleaned in soapy water and dried before being replaced for duty. This is much easier and quicker than having to remove all the fan casings and cables to clean the fans out. Apparently even the internal electrics of this fan are coated so they are waterproof making the whole fan resistant to liquids.

In use the fan certainly shifts a substantial amount of air but is a little on the noisy side. By that I don't mean it as a derogatory statement just that any fan that is shifting over 64 CFM of air at 1500 RPM is going to make some noise. That of course is at the full rated speed using the full 12v. As alreadyn mentioned this unit has the option of using three voltages in total 5v, 7v and 12v which translate into a choice of three speeds, volumes of air moved and noise levels. At the two lower speeds the fan is whisper quiet.

I don't know why Phobya doesn't include fixing screws with this model as they do with the cheaper version but the price is not high compared to other fans of a like specification and I would say it is good value as are most Phobya products. I would award it 9/10

Review sample supplied by CandC Central http://www.candccentral.co.uk/

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:49:35 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K