Official GIGABYTE Forum

Need Help, Gigabyte Mobo

buggs

Need Help, Gigabyte Mobo
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:39:36 am »
My system seems to be running slow. Slow on Apps, slow on internet, slow all around. Recently purchased the
GA-MA785GM-US2H board along with G.skill 1066 memory. My specs are as follows.

AMD X2 Dual core 6000+
GA-MA785GM-US2H
4gb DDR2 memory G.Skill 1066 F2-8500CL5D
500 GB Maxtor Sata 2 Hard Drive
Corsair 550 watt PSU
EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS video card
Plextor PX-755A Sata DVD Drive.
WinXP

System boots up showing 800 speed on memory. No other option in bios. Have the latest bios F4. I believe I have the latest drivers all around. Bios setting are at optimized. Can not get AHCI enabled. Get BSOD. Am I missing a switch to turn on, or a bios setting? Or is it my hardware. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Need Help, Gigabyte Mobo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »
I have had some problems getting DDR2-1066 to work as well (not Gigabyte's fault - it's the integrated memory controller in the CPU) so I would probably just leave it at 800 until you get everything working and then play with it a bit.  I know for sure that it will not work with 4 sticks of RAM so if your RAM is 4x1GB don't even bother trying.

For your AHCI BSOD - when you are running Win XP this is not a setting that you can change after you have installed windows, because the hard drive controller behaves differently it won't be able to boot.  If you want to use AHCI you must set it as such and -then- install windows. (this doesn't apply to win7 though I have changed it back and forth with no issues).

Another problem you are going to have is as you're installing XP it won't be able to detect the hard drive controller in AHCI mode - you need to use the "F6" option while installing to give it the drivers it needs to get set up.  They are available for download here:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3141&ost=xp#anchor_os

at the bottom of the page.  Keep in mind that to use the drivers you either need to put them on a floppy disk or slipstream them onto your installation cd.  Another option would be to try windows vista / windows 7 as they have an option to read drivers from a USB key during setup.

buggs

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:56:30 am »
Thanks poisonsnak for the info. Currently using 2-2 gig each of memory. Have the system running as best that I can. Am I suppose to change the settings in the bios to get 1066 memory? Or is it my CPU?

buggs

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:10:53 pm »
There should be a setting in the BIOS for the RAM multiplier, 800MHz is x4 and 1066MHz is x5.33 (assuming you're running stock HT of 200MHz).

If you can't find it, when you get into the BIOS try pushing CTRL+F1, this enables many "hidden" options in Gigabyte BIOSes.  Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I don't have the same motherboard as you.