Official GIGABYTE Forum

Temperature and settings question

Temperature and settings question
« on: August 29, 2009, 03:08:11 pm »
Hi
I have a GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard running a AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 processor. Cooler is an Artic Freezer Extreme and memory is Corsair 4gb running at 1600MHZ!

I am having an issue with temperatures as the processor can reach 62 under full load although normally it is around 34C (I'm measuring this with Easy Tune 6 by the way!). That temperature is the maximum for this processor to be fair and I have re-checked the CPU cooler and even the system fan is fine. Any ideas?

Oh and the memory only reports as being 1066MHz not 1600Mhz I can obviously change the memory timings by hand to get bios to see this but I'm worried that may be affecting the CPU. I was informed by the supplier that 1600 Mhz would be fine and 1800MHz was required for Overclocking! The documentation is sketchy for this.
All my BIOS settings in terms of MB Intelligent Tweaker are standard i.e. I haven't tweaked anything however I have turned off CPU smart fan control to switch the fan to full speed in order to get the CPU cooler. Oh and I'm afraid my system fan wouldn't reach the header so I have slapped it in the NB fan header instead (what an amateur!). I will try and get a cable extension at some point. Incidentally a fan on the North bridge with this huge CPU cooler would just be silly1 This Artic Freezer Extreme is massive.

Oh and another point the stock cooler did leave the CPU hotter but I didn't see the same erratic peaks. The noise it produced however was like a jet plane doing a fly by!! At least this one is quiet even at full speed.

Please help with some pointers thanks

Simon

Pottypete

Re: Temperature and settings question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:00:36 pm »
Hi
I have a GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard running a AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 processor. Cooler is an Artic Freezer Extreme and memory is Corsair 4gb running at 1600MHZ!

I am having an issue with temperatures as the processor can reach 62 under full load although normally it is around 34C (I'm measuring this with Easy Tune 6 by the way!). That temperature is the maximum for this processor to be fair and I have re-checked the CPU cooler and even the system fan is fine. Any ideas?

1 Check your temps in bios pc health 8) AMD reckon tmax for that cpu is 70deg

Oh and the memory only reports as being 1066MHz not 1600Mhz I can obviously change the memory timings by hand to get bios to see this but I'm worried that may be affecting the CPU. I was informed by the supplier that 1600 Mhz would be fine and 1800MHz was required for Overclocking! The documentation is sketchy for this.
All my BIOS settings in terms of MB Intelligent Tweaker are standard i.e. I haven't tweaked anything however I have turned off CPU smart fan control to switch the fan to full speed in order to get the CPU cooler. Oh and I'm afraid my system fan wouldn't reach the header so I have slapped it in the NB fan header instead (what an amateur!). I will try and get a cable extension at some point. Incidentally a fan on the North bridge with this huge CPU cooler would just be silly1 This Artic Freezer Extreme is massive.

Oh and another point the stock cooler did leave the CPU hotter but I didn't see the same erratic peaks. The noise it produced however was like a jet plane doing a fly by!! At least this one is quiet even at full speed.

2 What did a tornado sound like before a jet? ???

Please help with some pointers thanks

3 does temp drop with case side panel off? if it does :o
4 Get yourself a front fan pulling air into case ;D

Simon
regards

Badbonji

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:28:13 pm »
62 isn't too high, although I wouldn't push it any further. What is the ambient room temperature?

Don't worry about what the ram is recognised as, the motherboard will always use it's default clock speed and you have to manually enter the speed and possibly timings (or enable a memory profile supported by the memory - not sure if AMD are the same) and make sure that the voltage is correct too for the memory. As for 1800Mhz needed... it all depends on how far you overclock, what multi you use etc, but 1800Mhz is not needed. Overclocking might make the memory speed above 1600Mhz and can cause instability, but can be fixed by reducing the memory multiplier/ratio to FSB or by loosening timings / increasing volts.
Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 03:25:10 pm »
Hi,
Thanks so far guys. My system temp is 33C and my CPU 35C as I type this so for general internet use I'm fine but once AVG anti virus is running and I start photoshop etc. I get some temperature peaks of 62C. To be fair it is dropping back fairly well and then floating around 50-55C. Bizarrely it then starts to slowly drop back to around 40-44C which tends to be the average under a fair load.
I might go back to adjusting my memory timings back so it reports the correct memory speed which is 1600MHz for the Corsair I'm using. Does this affect the CPU at all or is it just going to affect the memory??

I'd hate to think I'm increasing temperature again!

To Badbonji ,erm taking the side panel off doesn't make much difference to be fair unless a couple of degrees is significant. The case is very cool all round apart from some warmth coming from the PSU, however at 700 watts you'd expect some heat there! The exhaust fan is running fine although most of the air coming out is quite cool really. Ambient temperature is room temperature (its grim in Northern UK!!). I got a cheap case as well although I think I can get 1 front fan in although it will have to be 80mm.

I think I'm being a bit pedantic to be fair but at £140 odd pounds for the CPU I can't afford to burn it out! I plan to do some video editing with it once its stable and to be honest I love the speed compared to my stock 2.8Gig P4! Maybe I should try removing the CPU cooler again re-do the paste and re-fit just in case. Maybe with the initial struggle to fit it I removed a little paste.

Thanks guys for your help by the way

Pedantic Simon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:11:34 pm »
Hi!

My problem and question is:

I have a GA-K8NF-9 (rev. 1.x) motherboard with an AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU. I just bought a new CPU cooler - an ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 64 Pro PWM. The cooler can run between 900-2200. The problem is that although the smart fan control is enabled in the BIOS, the cooler is always running on full speed. And though i installed Easytune5 and use the deafult settings, the cooler runs at full speed.

How can i lower the speed of the cooler?

Thanks in advance.

Two pics of Easytune5:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:12:44 pm by gercike »

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:08 pm »
hi,
You have to enable "cool and quiet" in the bios and cpu smart fan control to auto,
That should give yo what you want,
Download your manual, there is a section on cpu fan settings,
cheers

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:29:51 pm »
I cannot enable "cool and quiet" because there isn't such in the BIOS. And i cannot set smart fan control to 'auto' because it can only be enabled or disabled. I still have the manual that i got with the motherboard back when i bought it, and i have read it several times. I also downloaded the manual that can be found here (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1860) which is not about the same BIOS as my actual (original - not flashed) BIOS. My manual says that if i enable the CPU smart fan control, than "When the CPU temperature is lower than 50 degrees Celsius, CPU fan will run at the lowest speed." Well, mine won't. And the above linked manual essentially says the same as mine.
So thank you for your quick answer, but i am still hoping for a solution.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:31:06 pm by gercike »

Pottypete

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:48 am »
Hi,
What bios do you have installed?
You can find out by the  first post screen,
You may also find it in easytune, I think,
Have you thought installing about the latest bios update
Cheers

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:01:51 am »
I can only check the version in the evening when i get home, but i am sure it's an early version. Yes, I thought of updating and looked at the updates here (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1860#anchor_os) but the descriptions tell nothing (to me), and i would only want to update the BIOS if i knew that it solved the problem. Is it possible to find better descriptions or know more about the updates than what is written on that page? I am a bit afraid of updating the BIOS that it may result in other problems and not solve this one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:05:05 am by gercike »

Pottypete

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:26 am »
Hi,
Yes I understand you problem about updating bios,
I can't get any information as regards exactly what has been changed,
But if you ask tech services they may be able to assist you,
Seems strange that your bios  setting screens are different to the manual, as you have the one originally supplied with the motherboard, Perhaps tech services can sort it, Here's hoping,
Cheers

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 05:00:18 pm »
Thanks again for Your answers, Pottypete. One last question: where can i find these tech services who can answer me?

Pottypete

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 05:34:19 pm »
Hi,
You may have to wait for a few days,
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx
cheers

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »
I wrote to them. If i'll get some useful answers i'll share them here. Thanks again.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:13:03 am »
So, i got this answer from tech service:

"Dear Sir,
Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, please go to "PC Health Status" submenu in the BIOS, and enable the "CPU Smart FAN control" and "CPU FAN Manual Control" option then test again."

Since I didn't have the "CPU FAN Manual Control" option, having the F4 version of BIOS, i decided to update the BIOS. After updating to F12 I got the mentioned option and the other options that are in the online manual which turned out to be about the F9 BIOS.

Now having these options enabled i still have my fan running on full speed. The "Temp Limit of Low Speed" is set to 20 which is the default value. (Mid Speed is 50, High Speed is 60, Full Speed is 70). I set the low speed limit to 40 but after rebooting, the fan didn't start, i got a beeping sound - probably the CPU fan fail warning. So I set that value back to default.
Do you have any advices how i could manage to have my fan not running on full speed?

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »
Have you tried undervolting your CPU with either AMD Overdrive or K10Stat?  With AMD Overdrive I have undervolted (not underclocked )my Phenom II x940  to 1.25 volts. Normally it runs at 1.35 volts.  This only works with CnQ turned off. It dropped the running temp and max temps by 10C.

I use K10stat now (google it to find the program) because it works with CnQ running.  At rest (lowest P state) my CPU temp is ~30C (800 meg/0.9 volts). At load (OCed to 3.5gig with a voltage of 1.3375) the temp goes up to about 45C.  It is very stable.

Before this (and a better cooler)  my CPU temps would regular go over 60C

More info here.

http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/06/k10stat-amd-griffin-processor.html