Official GIGABYTE Forum

Anyone here try Easy Energy Saver and if so, how did you like it?

Hi again everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here has tried Easy Energy Saver and if so, how did you like it?

I was looking for ways to conserve energy and I was wondering if the EES program really works and if it does work, how effective is it?

It's me,

Soar

PS Easy Tune 6 crashed system after system after system some years ago and I promised myself to NEVER try Easy Tune ever again.  Well, unfortunate for me, I downloaded and installed it tonight hoping they finally solved major issues with it.  Nothing but problems and headaches!  I wish I had never gotten my hopes up that Gigabyte finally fixed it!

It crashed the system and then it would not even uninstall after several attempts.  It seems to have messed up some weird GUI process [ID 3680].

Gigabyte should take it off the market!

AAAUUUGGGHHHHHH!  So frustrating!

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Gigabyte,

You make awesome motherboards.  I am so happy with each MOBO I have purchased and used over the years.  No one comes even near you in your quality, expertise, and reliability of your motherboards and for this I am so thankful.

But your software you offer with the motherboards is so disappointing.  Nearly every time I have tried to use your software over the last several years it has caused me nothing but heartache and frustration [as in BSOD's unable to uninstall, and great system instability].  May I suggest you stick with what you do well [make motherboards] and protect your good name by no longer making any software.

Or, if you do want to continue making software, fired your entire software department and start all over again from the ground up!

Thank you very, very much!

Happy with your MB's/Sad with your software

Soar

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 07:34:57 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Anyone here try Easy Energy Saver and if so, how did you like it?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:59:10 am »
Hi Soar,

As I'm sure you know this is my feeling as well regarding the bundled software. On the whole I find it certainly imports more problems than it solves and as you quite rightly say often it is not easy to unistall amd clean off the system completely.

Personally I have found this problem with other motherboard manufacturers as well, it is not something peculiar to Gigabyte. It is a bit of a sales technique to add value in the eyes of the prospective purchaser but I am sure that the majority of people are wise to this now. If they really wanted to include something extra then a proper retail backup program or a revamped manual would be more appreciated.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:51:49 am »
Hi Soar,

As I'm sure you know this is my feeling as well regarding the bundled software. On the whole I find it certainly imports more problems than it solves and as you quite rightly say often it is not easy to unistall amd clean off the system completely.

Personally I have found this problem with other motherboard manufacturers as well, it is not something peculiar to Gigabyte. It is a bit of a sales technique to add value in the eyes of the prospective purchaser but I am sure that the majority of people are wise to this now. If they really wanted to include something extra then a proper retail backup program or a revamped manual would be more appreciated.

Yes, you are so right DM.  Yet, it doesn't seem all that difficult to spend a little more time and design some good software that would get the job done well.  I am curious why they would slack off in this area after putting so much time and effort to create such great motherboards...it just doesn't make very good business sense to me...

If they included excellent software along with the great motherboards, they would probably capture much more of the market.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:52:30 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:20:21 am »
I think the problem is that as with most companies they are really run by accountants and trying to get them to see futher than their spreadsheets is very difficult. Just because something could make more in the long term trying to get them to invest in that is next to impossible.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:16:34 pm »
I think the problem is that as with most companies they are really run by accountants and trying to get them to see futher than their spreadsheets is very difficult. Just because something could make more in the long term trying to get them to invest in that is next to impossible.

Well, that sounds a bit short-sighted if you ask me!
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:12 pm »

Soar, you're just a customer and as such don't you realise your views, along with all us other poor shmucks, doesn't really count?  :o

Having had quite a few conversations about the software, Gigabyte doesn't believe there are any problems with it so I think they are quite happy to leave it alone. Most experienced users have learnt the hard way NOT to install anything from the disk that comes with the motherboard as it invariably causes more problems than it solves. Yes, we have all tried them out, in the hope that the programmes will give us some benefits and in some instances the software works OK, but it's free and as such, doesn't always offer the best solution. I have a stack of install disks from various sources, Canon, M-Audio, Panasonic, LG, Gigabyte, etc, etc, and all any of them have been really useful for is bird scarers, coasters or skeets.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 02:48:55 pm »

Soar, you're just a customer and as such don't you realise your views, along with all us other poor shmucks, doesn't really count?  :o

Having had quite a few conversations about the software, Gigabyte doesn't believe there are any problems with it so I think they are quite happy to leave it alone. Most experienced users have learnt the hard way NOT to install anything from the disk that comes with the motherboard as it invariably causes more problems than it solves. Yes, we have all tried them out, in the hope that the programmes will give us some benefits and in some instances the software works OK, but it's free and as such, doesn't always offer the best solution. I have a stack of install disks from various sources, Canon, M-Audio, Panasonic, LG, Gigabyte, etc, etc, and all any of them have been really useful for is bird scarers, coasters or skeets.

LOL!

Well, ok, at least now I know what to do with all these discs!

Have a good one DM!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:06:21 pm »

LOL!

Have a good one DM!

Soar

I make wind chimes out of mine! Seriously I never let the driver/software disk touch a new build. The drivers are old and the software might as well be a virus. I have used Asus, Gigabyte and MSI boards over the years and they are all the same. The software sucks beyond belief.
Main Box*i7 930@3.5 Ghz*CM V6 GT*GA X58A-UD3R v2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*OCZ Vertex 3 MI 120 gig*WD  Blue 500 gig*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Teac Floppy*Corsair AX750*Rosewill R6AR6-BK case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Badbonji

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »
I think the more energy used by a computer is good. I believe there is an equation like:

WATTS * MEGAHURTZ = FPS

As you can see the FPS observed is directly proportional to the power consumption.

On a more serious note, I think the speedstep on the CPU and GPU 2d states reduce the consumption enough when the power isn't needed for me. I have a energy meter measuring the total consumption of the house and even when gaming my rig accounts for a few pence per hour, depending on the game.

You could have a go at underclocking? That would probably be much more effective.

Core i7 965 @ 4.35Ghz 1.37Vcore
6Gb G.Skill 1600Mhz DDR3 @ 1740Mhz 8-8-8-20 1T
HIS HD5970 @ 800/1100
Gigabyte Extreme X58
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty
256GB M4 + 150GB Raptor
EK Supreme HF/GTX480/MCP655/EK Res :D

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 06:44:34 pm »
You could have a go at underclocking? That would probably be much more effective.

and boring ! He could always buy a iPad, but I mean let's stay real! ;D ;D  I wonder if they are still selling those wind up computers.....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:45:39 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »

LOL!

Have a good one DM!

Soar

I make wind chimes out of mine! Seriously I never let the driver/software disk touch a new build. The drivers are old and the software might as well be a virus. I have used Asus, Gigabyte and MSI boards over the years and they are all the same. The software sucks beyond belief.

Thanks!

I'll use the discs to scare the birds out of our garden!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

bytheway_r

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 02:54:15 pm »
Hey, I'm back! ;D

I'll be frank Soar. Why would you even consider using that Energy Saver software? It won't be any better ( if not worse ) than what's already implemented into your CPU and GPU. I don't see the point of tampering with RAM and HDD power consumption as it's low anyway. Fans, either use auto control from the MB or a fan controller.

Myself, I'm only using a modified Cool'n'Quiet for the kicks of it ( and better control of the p-states ) and a lower clocked idle profile for my power hog of a GPU. Tampering with GPU profiles makes no sense with cards newer than GTX 200s and HD 4000s, though. They're clocked down to the limit anyway.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 09:17:49 pm »
Hey, I'm back! ;D

I'll be frank Soar. Why would you even consider using that Energy Saver software? It won't be any better ( if not worse ) than what's already implemented into your CPU and GPU. I don't see the point of tampering with RAM and HDD power consumption as it's low anyway. Fans, either use auto control from the MB or a fan controller.

Myself, I'm only using a modified Cool'n'Quiet for the kicks of it ( and better control of the p-states ) and a lower clocked idle profile for my power hog of a GPU. Tampering with GPU profiles makes no sense with cards newer than GTX 200s and HD 4000s, though. They're clocked down to the limit anyway.

Well, the main reason I was interested in Energy Saving Software was to....save energy!  I like to keep costs down in every area of life.

Recently I decided to stop recording the free digital movies here in the USA [I was using a Hauppauge TV capture card and my computer was on 24/7.  After capturing literally hundreds upon hundreds of free and legal movies, I decided I have enough!

So, now, my computer is only on for 2-3 hours per day and energy conservation is no longer an issue.

BTW, what video card are you presently using?

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

bytheway_r

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 09:57:00 pm »
I like to keep costs down in every area of life.

I try to do the same as long as it's not hurting performance :).

BTW, what video card are you presently using?

Behold the power hog - HD 4870x2! I'm somewhat torn on this card. It was reasonably cheaper than the HD 5870 but there are some serious drawbacks to it. The power consumption is about twice as high and it's 2 processors instead of 1 which adds crossfire issues and other potential problems. It's a good space heater during winter, though!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:03 am »
Wow, you must be keeping warm, especially in the summer! Time you upgraded to a 5970 I reckon and save yourself a lot of money on the bills as well as extra performance.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB