Official GIGABYTE Forum

Buying new w/c components and need suggestions

WarYur

Buying new w/c components and need suggestions
« on: April 25, 2011, 10:07:21 am »
Hi, I have been using all Koolance ready made rad/res/pump gear for as long as I have been water cooling my pc's which has been about the last 8 years or so and now need to learn how to build my own setup with specific parts.  I have been reading some of the reviews that DM has on here as well as reviews and such on Skinnee Labs, Xtremesystems.org and a plethora of other sites.  That being said I have come up with a few of the items I may use and need to ask if 1) I have thought of everything I will need and 2) Whether or not all the components will play well together.  Here is the short list of parts that I can readily find here in the states and then a few that all of the online stores that I know of are either outof or just do not carry.
1.  Alphacool VPP-OT12 pump
2.  EK-D5-X Top ver 2   (is there a better one?)
3. ThermoChill TA (or PA but TA is the newest I guess) 120.3 Triple 360 Rad  (can only find the TA available from Aquatuning)
4. Thermochill Neoprene Insulation gasket that fits this rad and spacing for fans
5. Shroud for rad
6. 3.5 x 40mm black nickel plated self tapping Torx mounting screws (2 sets)
7. Fans.  I cannot find any of the stores online that have the Scythe Gentle Typhoons in stock at any RPM . I haven't looked for the Xmatec ones  
    but doesn't this rad like higher RPM fans?  Suggestions?  Also found http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12120/fan-789/Silverstone_Air_Penetrator_AP121-BL_120_x_120_x_25mm_Fan_-_Blue_LED_SST-AP121-BL.html?id=AaqbasIC&mv_pc=851 that I suggested to DM but is the CFM high enough for the rad?  Need to look also to see if I can install both top and bottom fans (push/pull)  If I had my druthers I woud rather have at least and LED in the fans if not UV Blue reactive but function before fashion...
3  Some kind of res dunno yet (suggestions?)
4.  Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT  3/8" ID tubing UV Blue  10 feet?
5.  some kind of front panel display for fans/pump/heat indicators (suggestions?  I found this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8384/bus-175/Thermal-Star_LCD_Media_Panel_7-in-1_Card_Reader_Fan_Controller_Temp_Display_TS-T001.html?id=AaqbasIC&mv_pc=855
    that also has a 7 in one card reader but it's kindof spendy (but cool looking)
6. Heatkiller 3.0 LT (Looks like I'm selling the Corsair H-70 if possible (not selling here and now BTW)(which one goes best with socket 1155 or will
    the socket 1156 one fit.  It says it does on one site (performance-pcs.com) and all the others only mentions 1156)
7. Have most of the necessary barbs, angles, stuff

Sorry if that is hard to read.  Am I leaving anything out?  I have a Corsair 800D Full Tower case with tons of room but still am notsure where I will put a reservior or what size I need.  Front panel, tall cylindrical?  Since I am opting to do a single loop through the CPU and two EVGA GTX 480's that all will be overclocked as far as I can take them and the cards are HOT!  Also the water blocks that I have for them are Koolance high density copper with nickel plating.  Will that play well with everything else and using distilled water?  Speaking of which is there a certain kind of D water or process it's made with that is better than others?

Please feel free to rip apart everything I have chosen and/or make any suggestions/hints/directions/whatever you would like becasue this will be my very first real water cooling build.  THANKS!

ok, edit here.  I just found these fans that are Yate Loon and Blue; http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6177/fan-347/Yate_Loon_120mm_x_25mm_UV_Reactive_LED_Fan_-_UV_Blue_D12SH-124UB.html?id=PjMudFPj&mv_pc=5167  So how about 6 of these for a push/pull on my rad?  Or is there any real benefit from a push/pull config?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:36:24 am by WarYur »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Buying new w/c components and need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:15:45 pm »
Hi

Firstly I would encourage you to forget your first two items and instead go for the Alphacool VPP655 pump complete with versatile head unit. I have just reviewed it here:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5078.0.html

This pump actually performs better with this head than the standard offering. The attached head is even better than the EK version and it comes ready built.

Rad should be fine but there is realy very little to choose between rads. Just get the size that suits best and then push a load of air through it and it will cool your water. The difference between top and bottom ends are quite small. Some rads are much thicker than others though and so will take a lot more liquid at once making them more effective. Within reason the m,ore air you cna pass through a rad the more heat you will be able to disperse. The only problem with that is with more airflow/faster fans comes more noise.

The reservoir really is up to you as to where and what size you want to use. You can light this with LEDs too.

As I said in my PM there is no problem withthe HeatKiller 3.0 fitting either 1156 or 1155 sockets. I did find with mine though that I had to reorientate it  through 90 degrees to clear the capacitor bank beside the CPU socket.

The control panel looks fine but I have no experience with this one at all.

You are doing the right thing though ion buying quality gear from the outset as often people try and save a bit of money and say "this will do" only to find out later that it doesnt and then have to purchase the proper item on top of their initial outlay.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 05:30:04 am »
Well, I couldn't find the Heatkiller 3 special black nickel and black CPU chrome  block anywhere except for aquatuning.com (US and Canada) but I still have to wait for it to come into their Germany warehouses on the 2nd of next month.  Then I REALLY liked that Phobya 5.25 single front bay res that you reviewed and again the only place I could find it was aquatuning but it doesn't come in until the 27th of next month!  That particular one probably isn't big enough for my purposes anyway.  I suppose I could manage to just use my laptop for gaming for another month but I have the w/c fever right now and want all this stuff YESTERDAY! I don't want to order all the stuff I have saved in several carts right now until I can get everything at least mostly all at once though so I guess I had just better go and walk my dog and continue to peruse the web for a res that catches my eye. I wonder if that site that you buy from sells to the states?  At least Aquatuning doesn't charge the VATS charge whatever that is.  Is that like your version of taxes? They only charge shipping which is pretty cool although it does say something about a 9.5% customs fee.  Is that what VATS is?

I did find this res online though but I need to know if the Alphacool VPP655 will work inside of it now. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Laing_D5_MCP655_w_Blue_LED_Light_-_Clear_Silver_Black.html?tl=g30c97&id=DLX7Crou&mv_pc=26823 

Hey i have one dumb question as well.  It's more of a forum usage question but on most sites I frequent or even for an email message you can make any word into a clickable URL but here I can't figure out how to do that.  Is it possible and how?  Some of the URL's I have been putting in here are super long so it would clean things up a bit if I could just make one small word into a URL.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:21:09 am by WarYur »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:18 am »
I am not sure if the http://www.candccentral.co.uk/ shop I use ships abroad but it would be worth an email.

VAT is a EEC tax and as so is only applicable if the item is being sold in the EEC. Any sales outside of the community are VAT free.

I will find out about the hyperlink for you. I know it is possible  but I am not sure of the technicallities as I don't use it like that.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 08:43:56 am »
So, I still know if the Alphacool VPP655 will work inside of it now. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11219/ex-res-232/XSPC_Dual_525_Bay_Reservoir_-_Laing_D5_MCP655_w_Blue_LED_Light_-_Clear_Silver_Black.html?tl=g30c97&id=DLX7Crou&mv_pc=26823 

OR, the better question might be, what would you use in a Corsair 800D Full Tower case with a CPU block and 2 GTX 480 blocks?  This case has mucho room in it and there are enough bays in the front for my 2 optical drives, the readouts for temp, rpms, etc, and a two bay res.  How much volume or amount of liquid would I need.  If that didn't make sense I understand the more the water the better the cooling and there are many size of reservoirs as to how much liquid they can hold.  Where is a good place to start with the amount of coolant used?  The res is the final thing I need to choose on and I am having a hard time deciding because I don't know the manufacturers and how efficient each one is.  The one above you put inside of the res and they said it would keep the pump quieter but it only had (on that website) the following info regarding features.     

Supports one Laing D5 / Swiftech MCP655 pump
    Removable Brushed Aluminium Faceplates
    High Quality Acrylic
    Brass screw threads with anti-vibration mounts
    2x 5mm LED hole
    Individually pressure tested

Also these are the specs;

Fitting Ports:    2 x G1/4"
Included:    Black and silver aluminum faceplates
Pump Mount plate
Pump Mount Screws
Bay mounting screws
Allen key
Tailed 4-Pin blue LED
Dimensions:    149 x 96.5 x 85.5mm
Thread:    G1/4"

What reservoir company or product do you use the most?

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:50:43 am »
Yes that reservoir and pump would be fine. I use the same model with a Alphacool VPP655 in series as I have a massive loop the size of which you can't imagine. The XSPC unit is quite powerfull and i have had no problems with mine. Doin't forget you can have a loop without a reservoir at all. It just helps as a buffer and for getting rid of air when you first run the system etc. It would be more than adequate in size and performance.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:24:20 am »
Yes that reservoir and pump would be fine. I use the same model with a Alphacool VPP655 in series as I have a massive loop the size of which you can't imagine. The XSPC unit is quite powerfull and i have had no problems with mine. Doin't forget you can have a loop without a reservoir at all. It just helps as a buffer and for getting rid of air when you first run the system etc. It would be more than adequate in size and performance.

Very good!  Thank you once again.  I can't imagine how you manage to answer all of the questions on this forum that you do and then do reviews as well.  You wouldn't happen to have a picture or two of your rig would you?  Or should I say rigs...   Your main one anyway?  No problem if ya can't.
Now, taking a deep breathe, I go to order the gear.  I guess i must  like making sure the  UPS people  have a steady job...

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 10:27:23 am »
Just long hours! No magic just a lot of time put into working. ;)

There are pictures of my rigs in the Pictures of Member's Computers here:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2373.45.html

but I notice that some of the origianl pics have ben lost by Imageshack so it looks like I will have to upload them again later.

There are more here: http://dudpc.com/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=3c8d89ac83292287e4b78cad3f607211
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:27:58 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:45:57 am »
Sweet!    :o   I  love that test bed bench too.  You ought to retail those! 

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:59:02 am »
I know  did look into it as I had quite a lot of interest but a cheap Laser cutting machine  big enough to do the job is £3500 + VAT  starting and then you need other parts too. Have to build a lot of cases to make it profitable. Not possible to do by hand for any number as the time to polish the edges etc is just too great.

Anyhow glad you like them. I have another in mind but the cost is stoppping me at the moment.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

WarYur

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 12:44:11 pm »
Ya cost is a good plan stopper.  I just spent far more than I should have and will be paying that off for the next couple of years...  I hope that this 1155 will last me a good while but then you know how that goes what with Moores Law in effect and the need for speed.  

Say I now have yet another w/c question.  Are there any water blocks made for my motherboard (Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3)?  Or would I even need one?

EDIT:  I found some but I don't like the looks of them at all compared to what the board looks like stock so never mind!  LOL... 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:48:35 pm by WarYur »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 12:54:08 pm »
Generally I wouldn't bother as the P67 boards and chips run much cooler than previous versions and so far I find it hardly even warm in comparison.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18:22 am »

WarVur

Your limited by your imagination, the capacity of my system was border-line for me so I strapped on a Phobya Balancer 450 across the top (External) , matched with there "G"-Changer 360 Rad, the ultra thin fins are definitely quieter when you push any quantity of air through them......And DM , A couple of years ago now but Doing a 12 month contract with a big food producer in OZ we were building with a lot of Acrylic and Polycarbonate, laser and water-cutting was the norm although instead of mechanical polishing (Mech Mop by hand) we were sending all our work out for flame polishing on all edges......Bloody amazing how good it was and faaaaaaaaaaar cheaper!

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

WarYur

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 05:20:15 am »

WarVur

Your limited by your imagination, the capacity of my system was border-line for me so I strapped on a Phobya Balancer 450 across the top (External) , matched with there "G"-Changer 360 Rad, the ultra thin fins are definitely quieter when you push any quantity of air through them......And DM , A couple of years ago now but Doing a 12 month contract with a big food producer in OZ we were building with a lot of Acrylic and Polycarbonate, laser and water-cutting was the norm although instead of mechanical polishing (Mech Mop by hand) we were sending all our work out for flame polishing on all edges......Bloody amazing how good it was and faaaaaaaaaaar cheaper!

Aussie Allan

Hi Allen, Forgive me but I am not quite sure what your meaning is by I am not sure what you mean by I am limited by my imagination.  This is the first time I have put together a system without just using a Koolance all in one product such as the Exos 2.5, etc and so have no knowledge of which parts are best although I did do a lot of research on different forums and then skinnee.com and the RAD that I finally decided upon was the one that Skinnee liked the best with all of his testing there on his site.  If you mean that I should use an extra RAD and/or res then you just do not understand that I have only put here the stuff that I didn't have to build anew.  I did think of putting another reservoir in between the two EVGA GTX 480's though but as I said I have other reservoirs around here somewhere to put there already.  I also have all the water blocks from Koolance except for the CPU which I am still waiting for from aquatuing.com in Germany.   The only things on the loop with be the 2 x GTX 480's and an Intel i7 2600k and of course all overclocked as far as I can push them but I am thinking so far that an extra res won't be necessary.  Time will tell but I pretty much have everything else that I will need for this build.  If the 16GB of RAM gets too hot I can always throw a fan on them or fans rather.  Then too you may not have read all of the posts I have here and/or the conversation from start to finish (so far) that I have had ongoing with DM in getting to the place I now am in my choices which are all already here in my possession save the water block and backplate for same.  I am also going to have a push/pull going on with the triple rad that will be on top of my 800D.  Oh, and originally I was looking for the Phobya res but it wasn't in stock anywhere so I went with the one I did.

So other than what I have already mentioned, did you have another meaning?  Don't get me wrong by the way, I WILL take any and all comment. pro or con with anything I say on here...    ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 05:24:28 am by WarYur »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 11:59:54 am »
WarYur

I am sure that Allan only meant it in a good way and as a means of being constructive WarYur  ;)
I would think that you must be nearly ready to complete your system now.

Allan

Thanks for the flame edge polishing tip. I had tried it myself but without success or at least to the standard I wanted and I couldn't find anyone locally that offers the service. I agree though that it is the ideal way to go. I don't want to get into all that shipping thing as it gets expensive and time consuming.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB