Questions about GIGABYTE products > Motherboards with Intel processors

Can't Install Marvell 91xx Driver- GA-P55a-UD3

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dark Mantis:
The Marvell 9128 SATA3 controller was a fiasco in general terms right across the industry. It just never lived up to what it was supposed to do.  It will work fine as a SATA2 controller but just not handle the SATA3 speeds especially of SSDs or RAID0 configurations. Although it is quite possible to set up a RAID0 array on the controller it will continually drop the drives and fall over.

From what I can find out this is not fixable by a software patch or even firmware. I think we have to accept this restraint as part of the ongoing R & D of this device which has now been proved with the Marvell 9182 (why they had to name it that I don't know, very confusing) controller chip that is incorporated into the newest platforms.

Aussie Allan:

for what it's worth,... I adopt the 2 year approach now I'm older and somewhat wiser, as in, New emerging technology is embargoed for two years in my house until it matures.........I've only just gone over to SSD in the last couple of  months and am enjoying reasonable integration at prices probably a quarter of what I would have paid 2 years ago.

When IDE was replaced with SATA , I like many rushed out and paid the premium for a new Sata drive only to be gutted when I found it performed no better or worse then the drive it replaced.........even pulling it apart showed me, bar the sata connector and a few new tracks on the PCB it was the exact same as the comparison IDE drive sitting next to it.........the manufacture date on the IDE body was infact 9 months newer then My new SATA drive........The boards SATA connectors were designed for greater band-width, the data cable was designed for greater band-width....sadly, the connecting hardware being a new technology...... rarely perform to the stated marketing stats........under ideal conditions in the R&D department, with carefully matched hardware and several paid technicians working 50hr weeks around it..........but not you and I for a year or two.

DMs advise is Correct as far as I know and sound advise to forget the Marvell 6gig SATA for the time being........The Marvell port will work fine as SATAII or ....Don,t connect anything to them, disable the Marvell controller in BIOS and (Possibly important for you) Disable Marvells update chip option, this is possibly why your system (OS) keeps "Goin a huntin" for the missing drivers bugging you no end.....Hope this helps.

Aussie  Allan

F5BJR:
With the Station Drivers Drivers Version 1.2.00.1002 & 1.1.0.6 WHQL i have also this problem

the last good version is 1051

Pierre

Aussie Allan:

--- Quote from: F5BJR on May 05, 2011, 12:02:57 pm ---*
With the Station Drivers Drivers Version 1.2.00.1002 & 1.1.0.6 WHQL i have also this problem

the last good version is 1051

Pierre

--- End quote ---
  Bookmarked! with thanks.

Aussie Allan

vienna01:

--- Quote ---Am I correct that I only will need the Marvell controller if I need to connect to a 6Gb/s interface ?

If so, does that mean the board will not connect to 6Gb/s drives except at 3Gb/s? I don't understand what is meant by ... communicate with the system 'through' the Marvell controller".
If I can not get either of the 2 drivers I downloaded from the Gigabyte site to install, does that mean I won't even be able to take advantage of connecting THROUGH the Marvell controller [whatever that means]?
--- End quote ---
I quoted my own post-I really would like to know what things won't work because of the Marvell problems:

Does that mean the board will not connect to 6Gb/s drives except at 3Gb/s?
If I can't get the Marvell drivers[from Gigabyte site]installed does that mean I can't even get 3Gb/s connections to HDDs using the Marvell SATA ports on the motherboard?
If so-What is the best I can get using the Marvell SATA connectors[ports]? Where can I get drivers that will install even if they don't give me 6Gb/s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version