Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990XA-UD3 and WD5000AAKX

GA-990XA-UD3 and WD5000AAKX
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm building a computer for my brother.  It was a birthday gift.  Anyhow, the computer is completely built and I'm trying to set up the SATA drive and the OS.  I'm planning on installing Windows 7 for him (Even though I'd much rather install linux lol).  The problem I'm having is that when I first tried installing the OS there were no hard drives listed.  So, I did a little research and found that I may need to install the SATA controllers to allow it to read the SATA drive.  So I tried doing so using the provided MB utility DVD.  Unfortunately, nothing showed up in the driver list.  So, I did a little research and actually opened the manual that came with the MB.  (God, sometimes I wish I'd actually just read the damn manuals first but when you've done something before you tend to just do it without reading.)

In the BIOS I entered the "Integrated Peripherals" option.  I changed the "OnChip SATA Type" to "RAID" from "Native IDE".  (Just in case he ever wants to install another drive and set up a RAID configuration. Oh, this is also probably why I didn't see any drivers listed in the driver list... because it was set to "Native IDE").  I then set the "OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type to "As SATA Type" from "IDE".  All of the rest was left to the default of "Enabled".  After saving and exiting I let the system reboot.  When it gets past the Splash screen it displays the option to enter the RAID configuration menu. Well, the manual states that if I don't want to set up a RAID configuration then I can just proceed to the OS installation.  Here is where I run into problems.

I have the boot sequence set to CD first.  I have also tried going to the boot menu when the machine starts up and setting it to CD just in case it wasn't following the boot sequence.  When the "Onchip SATA Type" was set to "Native IDE" the RAID configuration menu never popped up for a few seconds and it would proceed to booting from the CD.  However, if I switch it to "RAID" or "ACHE" it will not load from CD anymore.  When I set it as "RAID" it will give the option to set up the RAID configuration for a few seconds... If I have been hitting F12 it will pop open the boot menu.  If I select CD it will just go to a black screen stating "Loading Operating System ..." Which sits forever.  If I set it as "ACHE" it does the same except for there is no RAID configuration menu that pops up for a few seconds.  If I set it as "IDE" it boots from the CD as would be expected.

The Drive is connected to the MB using a SATA cable that is firmly connected and power is working fine.  I know all of this because the BIOS is detecting the hard drive!  I just need to get it to boot from the CD so that I can start the OS from the OS and load the SATA controllers from the MB CD when needed.

Anyone able to help me out!?
Thanks in advance!!!
Eric

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990XA-UD3 and WD5000AAKX
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »
Hi there,

You should have been able to see the drives in Native IDE Mode as this is the easiest configuration and usually the most reliable.

OK first thing to do is make sure that you have things setup correctly.n Using the RAID controller is probably not the best way forward at the moment and you would do better if you configure the SATA Controller as AHCI. For the SATA ports 4/5 Set these to IDE
Attach the HDD to the port labelled SATA3_0
Attach the DVD/CD Drive to port SATA3_4

Hopefully, Windows will now see the HDD and allow you to proceed with the installation. But you will need ot use F12 to Boot from the CD if you haven't changed the settings in BIOS.

Using AHCI Mode you shouldn't need to install any drivers during the F6 stage of Windows install but if you can't find the HDD then you can install the AMD AHCI drivers from the Install disk that comes with the motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »
Thanks for the quick response absic!  I'll go try that now!  I was hoping to set it up as RAID to start so that way he wouldn't have to format the drives if he ever wanted to set a RAID configuration but I'll go anything now just to get the damn thing to recognize haha.  He'll just have to deal with formatting if he ever decides to do it.  I'll post back if it works or doesn't!  Thanks again!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:41:48 pm »
Hi again,

Setting the OS up in AHCI shouldn't create a problem if you later want to install a RAID Array but, this will depend of course on how you plan to setup and use any future RAID configuration.

And, being honest, I have always found it better to start again if switching between configurations.

If you want to install the OS with the RAID Controller set then you will need to install the AMD RAID Controller drivers from the Motherboard Install Disk via F6 during Windows installation.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:45:49 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

teknology9

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 07:57:30 pm »
Hi,

You also have the option of installing Windows 7 using a pendrive which is slightly quicker once your CD etc is configured.

Teknology9
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »
absic,

I tried as you said and I was again able to boot from the CD using F12.  So the configuration is OnChip SATA Type "AHCI", OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type "IDE".  When I got to the drive selection part of installing the OS the drive still wasn't listed.  I went in to Load Drivers and browsed to \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\AHC\Win7x64.  No drivers were listed.  I'm at a loss.

I did notice that if I unchecked the "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" while looking in the \RAID\W764A directory it lists some drivers but none in the AHCI. Also just for the hell of it I tried installing one in the RAID directory.... "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" but it pops up a screen stating the following....

"To continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers.  Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unusable Windows installation"

Any advice guys?!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:05 pm »
Hi again,

try pointing windows to the folder that is called AHCI_win7/Win7x64 not the RAID drivers at this stage.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:46:16 pm by absic »

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
That's what I tried first.

" I went in to Load Drivers and browsed to \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\AHC\Win7x64.  No drivers were listed"

~ E

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »
Are you using a new HDD?

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:01:49 pm »
Yes, so I just discovered something.  I thought about something.... why not check the 32bit directory.... sure enough.  "AMD SATA Controller" location \BootDrv\SBxxxW7\AHCI\Win7x86\amdsata.inf.  I'm going to try it and get back to you... This btw was listed while the "Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer" was selected.

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »
Ok,

So a new issue.  I keep getting the following issue....

"To continue installation, use the Load Driver option to install 32-bit and signed 64-bit drivers.  Installing an unsigned 64-bit device driver is not supported and might result in an unusable Windows installation".

I'm not sure if this is in the forums somewhere... haven't researched it.  I'll start looking now and check back to see if you might have any ideas.

Thanks again for all the help absic!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:43:41 pm »
So, I've been searching all over as well as here in the forums.  I found a topic that you had participated in....

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6258.0.html

I hope to God I don't have to go through all of this but I'm starting get frustrated and will try anything.  This is a Caviar Blue Drive from WD.  Not sure if you've seen or had any problems with these drives.

~E

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 08:08:36 am »
Just my twopenneth but there are no known issues with the Western Digital Caviar Blue drives that I know of.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 08:35:30 am »
OK, we're are missing something basic here as there shouldn't be a problem installing the OS onto a Hard drive in Native IDE Mode or AHCI Mode. I am running the GA-990FXA-UD5 which uses the same SB950 Chipset and have not needed to install drivers in either mode.

Could you post back with your full system spec's as there maybe an issue with another component you have installed?
Can you also check in BIOS and see if the Western Digital Drive is being recognised during POST?