Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790X-UD4P Sata drive order round the wrong way?

GA-MA790X-UD4P Sata drive order round the wrong way?
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:07:02 pm »
Nomatter what SATA connectors I put my three Sata hard drives on, windows xp gets the drive order round the wrong way.
If I have just two hard drives then windows disk management shows it as Disk 0 =my first Sata drive(largest, 640GB)
Disk 1= my second Sata drive(medium, 500GB)

If I connect all three  drives(640, 500, 400)then Disk management gets it wrong and shows it as Disk 0=640GB, Disk 1= 400GB, Disk 2=500GB.
If I then disconnect the 400GB drive, windows shows the correct order for the first two drives(640 and 500).
Anyone know the correct Sata connectors to put each drive on?

Re: GA-MA790X-UD4P Sata drive order round the wrong way?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 08:55:07 pm »
Maybe it's detecting them based on the hard disk boot order set in the BIOS?  Maybe take a look in there with all 3 drives connected and see what order they are in.  Normally though I think Gigabyte boards number their hard drive ports like this:

IDE Master - Primary (#1) Master
IDE Slave - Primary (#1) Slave

SATA 1 - #3 Master
SATA 2 - #3 Slave
SATA 3 - #4 Master
SATA 4 - #4 Slave
SATA 5 - Secondary (#2) Master
SATA 6 - Secondary (#2) Slave

The reason for the odd numbering is so you can set SATA 1 - 4 as AHCI and leave the rest as legacy IDE.  This is necessary for things like CMRR's Secure Erase program. Even if you set all the SATA ports to legacy IDE it will not detect any drives other than primary / secondary master / slave.