Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58-UD4P memory problems

lotvi

GA-X58-UD4P memory problems
« on: September 02, 2009, 12:01:32 pm »
Having problems with my new GA-X58-UD4P motherboard... :(

I bought this board with 12gb of memory (6x2gb). After running the computer for a few hours the computer crashed and during subsequent boots would post only 10gb of RAM and eventually the OS would not load at all. After some mixing and matching of RAM sticks I found the offending module and tested it more carefully to make sure it really was faulty. I returned the module to the store and  got a replacement kit.

This time I once again loaded all six modules into the mobo and checked that they were all picked up by the bios. I then booted the computer directly into memtest86+. During the first pass the tests failed miserably, and once again a stick of RAM is now faulty.

I am running the mobo with the standard settings (no oc) using the latest bios revision (rev.8) and I am also running a dedicated RAM cooling fan.

I am  now wondering if these faults are likely to be caused by the RAM or by the mobo itself. Seems strange that two RAM kits should fail in a row. Perhaps a faulty RAM socket?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

By the way, I am able to run stably at 8gb using four modules in a 3 channel configuration by using the the four RAM slots specified in the mobo manual. However I got this board because I need to run with 12gb!!!

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem (and how to fix it)?

Re: GA-X58-UD4P memory problems
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »
Hi,

I may not have the same problem but I have a similar one with mu UD4P. I have a Corsair Dominator 3X1GB 1600MHz kit. But in bios I see that the RAM frequency is 1066MHz. I manually raised the frequency to 1600MHz. But when I restarted the cpu overvoltage leds lit up. So, had to change it back to 1066MHz. I was afraid that if the cpu was overvoltaged, it might damage it. Anyone know how to fix it? Anyone having this problem.

@lotvi

Sounds like a faulty slot to me.

lotvi

Re: GA-X58-UD4P memory problems
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 02:47:39 pm »
Yeah, my board defaults to that frequency too, rather than 1333Mhz. I just left it at the default for now.

I contacted Gigabyte about the RAM issue. They suggested not all brands of RAM may work equally well with the board and that I should try with one of the other brands they have tested and posted on their webpage. Not too keen on buying more RAM just for testing though, and the selection they provide on their page is really limited...

This leavs me where I was without knowing if the board is faulty or if the RAM is faulty or incompatible...