Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?

DronEll

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:47:07 pm »
ATX CoolerMaster Silent PRO RS-700- 700W
DDR3 2Gb PC3-10600 1333MHz DIMM Samsung, Original
AMD Phenom II Six-Core 1075T
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
nVidia GeForce GTX460 Gainward GLH 1024Mb
Windows 7 Ultimate (no SP)

Before you read - my english is very (VERY) bad.
My problem: after approximately 24 hours of working my PC begins to "stuck". I dont know what word can explain it better. "Stucking" isnt permanent and it have different "symptoms" from time to time. Sometimes - sound stuck for 1-2 mins. Sometimes everyting, but not sound. In any case i cant reach any of my C:\ or other dirrectories, system asking me to wait (well, you know, this basic win7 annoying cicrcle runing around and around - please wait, dear user, oh, please wait, we will be done soon etc). And i wait from 30 secs to 2-3 mins, after that system continue to work like nothing just happend. If stucked once, next lag session will be very soon (half an hour or so) best chance to take another suck is to watch any movie from hdd. If i havent stuck before playing any game - i will not have problems INGAME (or at least i didnt catch this). But if i, for example, catch a lag while surfing internet and after that run League Of legends - i will catch another INGAME lag for sure. Also, there were a few "incidents" when i get back home from my job- i found my PC sleeping and after i turn it on - it has a one long signal, BUT its not circling (as it should be for AWARD BIOS) - PC either starts normally after a little pause, either need a simple reboot.

What "casual" and easy things i tried to do:
Turn off or shuffle my HDD's. I even installed another System on other HDD and turned off all others - all the same.
Also i tried to swap or shuffle my DDR3 - all stays the same. Both planks were raped by Memtest when i bought it (but they were raped together, i've heard there is a problem with testing 3+ gb of ram - i dont know for sure).

I just dont know what else i can do, but i have no any possiblile way to give my PC to experts - i need it for my daywork. Those lags are just annoying it begin to bother me more and more.
I've decided to attach a screenshot of my HWMonitor, since i can not in to Voltages, i belive you can tell me is everyting right there or not..

Can you help somehow help me with my problem? In fact im so upset about all this, i even began to suspect my ps/2 beloved keyboard - maybe she is trolling me like that? :/

Sory for my bad english, i hope you will read it to this line (it was a hard brainstorm, i think, i can understand that, since my job isnt so far from yours), and i belive you can help me with that.

P.S. - is it okay, that i cant hold my fingers on a north bridge heater? HWMonitor says it's 79C even with fan i've attached on my hyper212 with clamps to chill it..

F5BJR

Re: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:05:28 am »
I think that you Hardware software monitor is not good  ( i have see sometimes stupid values ) ???

exemple for you -6,46 volts for -12 volts ??

but sure the 79°C is not a good value

I use at this time http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Pierre

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:17:06 am by F5BJR »
GA-X58A-UD5 I7 930
6x2Go KINGSTON 9905403-084
ENERMAX Modu 82+
Sharkoon REBEL12
2*HD5770SingleSlot+PCI-HD4350
2xSENSY 26'
2xBOX 5HD HotPlug
3xBOX 34HD MaxinPower
2x AD4SR5HPMU Addonics 8x1ToWDGreen 
4x 1TO RAID10 ICH10+1 BACKUP OS
2 * RR622 HighPoint
Sata 88SX7042  
AverMedia H727

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:48 am »
Hi there,

You don't say which version of BIOS you are running but I would check and if it is not the latest version for your board I would update it. You don't say which revision your board is but latest version for the Rev 2 boards is F5a.

The 79C TMPIN2 reported temperature could be due to a faulty sensor and is the most likely scenario, especially as it is showing the same temperature across the board. However you might find that removing the heatsink and replacing the thermal grease might help. (Don't forget to replace the heatsink after doing this!)

Double check your RAM with MemTest. I know that you say it has passed but there have been quite a few instances where this kind of fault has been traced to faulty RAM modules that have passed testing. Check each stick individually using the latest version of MemTest.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DronEll

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
You don't say which revision your board is
And the dumbest question of the year award goes to me - how to check what rev i have?
You don't say which version of BIOS you are running
After i knew what rev i have, ill check bios version and update it if needed.
The 79C TMPIN2 reported temperature could be due to a faulty sensor and is the most likely scenario
I think it is. Because on my old mb (neo-fv2 for am2 or something like this) was the same tmp. But here, on GA-870A-UD3 this tmp mark drops from 81 to 78-79 after fan attachment.
Double check your RAM with MemTest. I know that you say it has passed but there have been quite a few instances where this kind of fault has been traced to faulty RAM modules that have passed testing. Check each stick individually using the latest version of MemTest.
It will be done, but before this i have a better idea. A friend of mine bought a new PC today. My job will be to install all the parts toghether and i'll simply take his DDR3 to me for a week or so.
He bought a pair of DDR3 2Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz DIMM Kingston HyperX blu, KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G, BOX
My Samsung and this Kingston are not on a Memory support list, but its a chance anyway.

I've rememberd another question that bothers me:
Basic Windows 7 performance rating says i have 5.9 - the worst index is "HDD data speed trade", it is 5.9 (sory for my bad tratslation here). It was on my old Maxtor hdd, and it appears on my fastest Hitachi HUA721050KLA330, which i took for a new system about a week ago. Also, both of my HDD's are counted as IDE-channel on PC startup, why's that? Maybe this is the problem? What can i do with this? Other values: CPU-7.4, RAM-7.4, Aero-7.5, 3d-graphics-for-games-7.5, and overall is 5.9 because of HDD trade speed.

Thank you kindly for your answers and patience.

I think that you Hardware software monitor is not good  ( i have see sometimes stupid values ) Huh
I use at this time http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Check out image i brought, seems they both are the same.

exemple for you -6,46 volts for -12 volts ??
Now i noticed, it's strange indeed. Min value is 11, but current is even smaller on a prev screenshot..

Thanks, ill use them both for a while.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:48:53 pm by DronEll »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:42:18 am »
Hi sorry I didn't pick-up on this again earlier and I have replied to your PM.

For those who don't know how to find the Revision number (Rev. No) of their motherboard you will find it actually printed on the motherboard in the bottom left hand corner of the board. You can also find the Rev No. printed on a label attached to the box the motherboard came in (if you still have it)

There are a couple of ways of finding out your BIOS version. When you first BOOT up your PC it is normally shown on the first POST screen in teh top left hand corner. You may not see this screen if you have the Show Full screen logo still enabled in BIOS.

The best way to find your BIOS version is to go into BIOS and, on the Home Screen, press the F9 key. A pop up window will open that shows you such information as your CPU, amount of RAM, motherboard Model Number (sadly it doesn't show the Rev No. here) and the BIOS versions held in the Main BIOS chip and the Backup BIOS Chip. You may find that the BIOS versions are different, for example F6/F4 don't worry, this is pretty common and is due to the Main BIOS having been updated, whilst the Backup Chip still has the original factory loaded BIOS.

The Windows Experience Index will always show as 5.9 or lower for a mechanical HDD no matter what interface you are using. Even if you setup a RAID0 array with four Western Digital Raptors you will still get this figure from the WEI. The only way to improve this figure is to switch to an SSD.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:03:21 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DronEll

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:51:41 am »
Revision number
I found in on the box and on the motherboard. Its 2.1
Seems like installing other DDR3 didn't solve the problem, ill wait untill lags appear again for sure and swap modules back. After that ill check bios version and update it if needed. If it wont help me, ill swap PowerSupply with my friend, he agreed to help me with my problem, since i helped him with upgrade. Our PC's are allmost the same, so i can swap some components.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:57:06 am »
Hi again,

You might want to try my first suggestion of removing the heatsink on the Northbridge and replacing the thermal compound. There have been a few cases where there has been a problem like this and replacing the compound worked wonders.

DronEll

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:08:56 pm »
But i know that motherboard chip is small, and my thermal paste from hyper 212 is very liquid, i already have a not good expirience in this on my prev. PC's. Will it be okay if i remove the glue-like thermal compound witch used on chipset and just squeeze a small liquid dot from hyper term-paste on it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:10:42 pm by DronEll »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 01:17:02 pm »
You'd do better if you used different thermal grease such as Arctic Silver or something similar.

DronEll

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 02:08:54 pm »
You'd do better if you used different thermal grease such as Arctic Silver or something similar.
Okay, ill try it after bios update and powersupply swap. Because its easier to swap power supply, than to take off northbridge heater and to clear chipset from thermal interface.
By the way, how should i put a new thermal paste on it? For CPU i used cross method, but it cant be used on motherboard chipset bacsue its too small. Also, maybe i should try to buy another heater with pipes, for example?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:11:56 pm by DronEll »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »
I think it would be best to take things one step at a time. Try the simple changes first and see if that helps. If you are still having problems and decide to change the thermal grease, a small spot, on the middle of the chip is usually sufficient. If I get some time I will try and get some pictures posted of removing the Northbridge and replacing the thermal grease on a Gigabyte motherboard to help you.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »
Probably be a good idea for a new FAQ absic
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

DronEll

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 08:02:39 pm »
Okay, seems like problem stayed even with new DDR3 planks.
I updated my bios to F5a.
Cant swap my DDR3 planks back for now, but ill do it later and will swap Power Supply in the same time.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »
As absic has already told you the WEI is a crap piece of software and is not accurate at all. THe 5.9 is the maximum you can possibly get with a spinning disk drive, you need to install a SSD to get above that barrier.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

DronEll

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »
Hello again.
It seems like after installing F5a beta-bios my problem apprears faster. But maybe im wrong.
Put back my DDR3 and connected anoter Power supply (Toughpower 700W), if problem stays the same, ill call shop, where i bought it and start talking about warranty repair. Ill call them anyway to get Arctic Silver thermal paste.
By the way, what paste i should get? They have:
Arctic Silver Ceramique
Arctic Silver Adhesive
Arctic Silver 5
Arctic Silver Adhesive (actually a glue)
Arctic Silver Matrix (Hello, Neo and Trinity)
I simply dont know what is better, and i have no time and will to rtfm.