Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 09:17:54 am »
I would advise the Arctic Silver 5. This comes in two sizes and  if you are planning to use it a fair bit then I would just purchase the larger one as it will last for ages then. You only need a bit about the size of a grain of rice for a CPU.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

DronEll

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 02:25:09 pm »
Power Supply swap didnt help me. Also, i've swapped graphic card (just for lulz), and my friend caught my lag 2 times, even if i stayed with my lags too...
Seems like a mystic drama to me.
My friend's PC is:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
DDR3 2Gb PC3-12800 1600MHz DIMM Kingston HyperX blu, KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G x2
AsRock 870 EXTREME3 (sadly, he was afraid to take same MB as i have..)
Nvidia GTS250

Due to the week business, ill try to get arctic silver 5 in nearest days and use it as you've told me few posts erlier.

It seems like after swaping graphic cards back as they were, solved his problem, but maybe he didnt caught those lags yet with hes own video card, just because he didnt use his pc too often... Can this happen because of the OS Windows 7? Because i've installed clear system for him.. Im paranoid, yes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 02:30:53 pm by DronEll »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:54 pm »
Some of these things can be a trial to pin down. You can only keep trying . I would suggest breaking your system down to the bare essentials though as the less connected the  easier.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

DronEll

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:03:25 am »
For last 4 days PC works fine, only strange lag for 2-3 sec over all. But 2 secs aint 2 mins. Also, only today i stucked as usual.
Also, since my friend have the same problem, and this is not Windows OS (coz he reinstalled win7 twice), he will take his PC to the service and watch out any result. I think if they fix it, they will say what was wrong and it might help me.

DronEll

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 11:27:14 am »
img tag bugged for big images, si here it is with the links:
http://i.imgur.com/Cv6UQ.jpg Heat upgrade
http://i.imgur.com/PabhL.jpg Heat clean
http://i.imgur.com/Y7Obf.jpg Chip cleaned (shiny like a mirror)
http://i.imgur.com/wN7l3.jpg Chip with paste, i decided to do it that way.
http://i.imgur.com/1t4Hx.jpg MB look before
http://i.imgur.com/IOfhi.jpg MB look after the work
Okay, it didnt help, but heat seems way colder than before and thats a relief.
Should i try to swap CPU? Can it help?
And i read in the internet, that i can try to raise up voltage on my motherboard to solve this problem. Shoud i try it too? Since im a a lowskill loser, by what numbers can i rise voltages? Can you give me a good guide for this?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:28:30 am by DronEll »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »
Hi again,

sorry but I am a little confused now and before we go to far ......

Is the problem with the PC crashing or with the Graphics seeming to get frozen (stuck)?

You say your friend tried your Graphic Card in his PC and had same problem but he uses different motherboard. Yes/No?
Your friend's Graphic Card in your own PC also suffered from "sticking" Yes/No?

Sorry about the questions and I am sure I will have some more but, I am trying to get clear idea of what is happening.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 04:30:07 pm »
Hi

Glad to see that the Northbridge cooler is at least working better now and it seems that you have done a good job on it. Well done! The fact that it didn't cure your problem is  a shame but at least now you can be sure that it isn't due to it overheating. I would try to answer absic's questions as he is the head honcho on this section and a very knowledgeable chap.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:30:40 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

DronEll

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 06:50:28 pm »
Is the problem with the PC crashing or with the Graphics seeming to get frozen (stuck)?
Its allways different, sometimes its only sound stuck, last time i played minecraft,  i stucked, i could alt tab and use other applications, but they all cach freeze in 5 secs after i alt-tab to them. Even Skype, even "my computer folder", even AIMP player, watever it is, it will stuck and become normal in few mins.
You say your friend tried your Graphic Card in his PC and had same problem but he uses different motherboard. Yes/No?
His problem wasnt same as mine. For him it was just an HDD end days. He bought new harddisk and it all goes well for last month.
Your friend's Graphic Card in your own PC also suffered from "sticking" Yes/No?
Well, if we take aside my previous message, so yes, maybe it is, but he has no problems for now on.
Sorry about the questions and I am sure I will have some more but, I am trying to get clear idea of what is happening.
I totally understand you, and i can only say thanks to you since you are trying to get into my situation.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 07:12:25 pm »
OK from your description there are a couple of things that might be happening and, as with all these things we may have to take some steps backwards to move forward.

The first thing to do is to go into BIOS and reload Optimised Defaults.
Press F10 to save and when system reboots go back into BIOS.
Make changes to your BIOS if needed for the SATA controller for AHCI if you have installed your OS in that mode or leave it as Native IDE if you installed your OS in that mode and also make any other minor changes such as Disable Show Full Screen Logo thta you like to make. DO NOT make any changes to the voltages or anything under the MIT Section of BIOS at this stage.
When you are happy with the basic BIOS settings, press f10 to save and reboot the PC.
Test the PC like this and see if problem is still there.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DronEll

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 11:56:12 pm »
The first thing to do is to go into BIOS and reload Optimised Defaults.
As far as i remember, i didnt change anything there since i've installed new bios.

Make changes to your BIOS if needed for the SATA controller for AHCI if you have installed your OS in that mode or leave it as Native IDE if you installed your OS in that mode
I have no idea what are u talking about

DO NOT make any changes to the voltages or anything under the MIT Section of BIOS at this stage.
Okay.

Test the PC like this and see if problem is still there.
But i dont think it will work, since bios setup is allmost, or completly default.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 08:19:09 am »
If you reload BIOS to Optimised defaults then I can guide you through the basic BIOS settings. You probably have already done this but it won't hurt if you do it again and it will help us move forward if we know exactly where you are starting from.

Make changes to your BIOS if needed for the SATA controller for AHCI if you have installed your OS in that mode or leave it as Native IDE if you installed your OS in that mode
I have no idea what are u talking about

Sorry, I'll try to make the question easier to understand.
When you first built your PC did you change the BIOS settings for the SATA controller or leave it at the default setting?

DronEll

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:26 am »
If you reload BIOS to Optimised defaults then I can guide you through the basic BIOS settings. You probably have already done this but it won't hurt if you do it again and it will help us move forward if we know exactly where you are starting from.
I will do it, no big deal, as soon as i can.

Sorry, I'll try to make the question easier to understand.
When you first built your PC did you change the BIOS settings for the SATA controller or leave it at the default setting?
If i cant understand it, and it works fine, i will not touch. So i didnt change anything there. But a few people besides me have access to this pc, so ill do bious defaults anyway.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:22 am »
As I do not know how well you understand BIOS I will try to explain in simple terms. I apologise if you already know what I am explaining but if you are unsure it will hopefully make things easier. If you have any questions do not make changes to the BIOS but ask first and I will try to find easier answer.

Before you start the PC we need to check how your HDD's and other devices are connected to the motherboard. Make sure the cables from the HDD's are attached to the blue SATA sockets labelled SATA3_0 and SATA3_1. Then make sure your DVD writer is also attached to one of the other blue SATA3 ports

When you are happy that your hardware is attached as I describe start the pc and press the "Del" key to enter the BIOS

When you go into BIOS Click on the Load Optimized Defaults.

Press F10 key and then the "Y" key system will shutdown and reboot.

Go back into BIOS

Go to Standard CMOS Features and find the heading "Drive A" click on this and set to disabled. (Even if you have a floppy drive installed do this as there can sometimes be problems when using them) Hit the "Esc" Key to return to the main menu.

Go to Advanced BIOS Features

Set "Full Screen LOGO Show" to disabled. This will stop the Gigabyte LOGO showing when you start the PC but it will then allow you to see what is happening during the  POST phase which can help in finding problems. press the "Esc" Key once to return to the Advanced BIOS Features menu.

Click on Init Display First and set this to PEG. Press the "Esc" key twice to return to the main menu.

Go to Integrated Peripherals

Under this section you can set the OnChiip SATA Controller. By default it will be set to Enabled leave this alone.
The OnChip SATA Type is set to Native IDE by default. As you have already installed your Operating System using this method it is probably best to leave this alone.

You can leave most of the other settings alone too but, I would suggest that you set the OnBoard ESATA Controller to disabled and if you are not using any serial devices you can also disable the OnBoard Serial Port1. You can also do the same for the Parallel Port if you are not using that. Once you have made these changes press the "Esc" Key twice to return to the main menu.

Once you have done this press the" F10" key and then when prompted the "Y" Key to save the changes in BIOS

The system will shutdown and then reboot and then the PC should continue into Windows. If, at this stage you get an error saying No OS installed or bootloader missing don't worry. Just restart the PC go back into BIOS by pressing the "Del" Key and go to the Advanced BIOS Menu.

Click on the heading "Hard Disk BOOT Priority"  highlight the first drive and using the " PageDown" key move it so it is below your second HDD. Press"F10" and then "Y" keys to save and reboot the PC.

If you do not understand any of these steps, post back and I will try to make easier for you.

DronEll

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 12:47:15 pm »
Okay, going to reboot and do all this.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 12:50:57 pm »
As I said before, if you are unsure or want me to try and make it easier to understand I will do my best to help.