Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?

DronEll

Re: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 overall PC problem, any suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 01:06:57 pm »
Okay, im here again.
I've made some photos, will upload them later.
My HDDs are SATA0 with Win7 and SATA1 storage. My DVD is IDE, so it is mostly offline, i put it on only if i need to reinstall windows.
Go to Standard CMOS Features and find the heading "Drive A" click on this and set to disabled
I cant disable it, it says there is NONE Drive A. Photo later.
Set "Full Screen LOGO Show" to disabled.
Done.
Click on Init Display First and set this to PEG.
Done, there is also "PEG1", but i used PEG as u said.
Under this section you can set the OnChiip SATA Controller. By default it will be set to Enabled leave this alone.
The OnChip SATA Type is set to Native IDE by default. As you have already installed your Operating System using this method it is probably best to leave this alone.
I didnt touch this as u said. Sata controller is enabled, Native IDE is on its place too.
OnBoard ESATA Controller
OnBoard Serial Port1
Parallel Port
Turned them to "disabled" as u suggested.

System started well. Now we should wait for my classic lag session?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 01:14:06 pm »
Yes, now you must test PC and see if the  lag still happens.

If you do still have the problem don't worry too much as I now understand what settings you have and it is easier to help.

Sorry but another question, if we need to, is it a big problem for you to re-install Windows?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DronEll

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 01:26:02 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/j8OHr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ptMQJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HXnzb.jpg
Photos
Sorry but another question, if we need to, is it a big problem for you to re-install Windows?
No big deal, since i have 4 hdds. Ill just use other one.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:27:19 pm by DronEll »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 01:45:55 pm »
Looking at your pictures everything seem to be set as I advised. Now all you can do is use your PC and wait and see if the "lag" still happens.

I'll keep my fingers crossed (for good luck) that everything is now fine but as I have said before don't worry too much if it is still there as we can now move forward and change other BIOS settings if we need to.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:27:17 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

DronEll

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 03:04:14 pm »
Already lagged once. I will update this reply if it happens again. Seems like lag is still here.

DronEll

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:22 am »
yep, it sill lags for me.
also, last lag i took on stream, lol.
http://ru.justin.tv/lonelylokly/b/289519797 last 10 seconds there. I have said "im stuck, lol" and xsplit goes offline right after the game.
After 2-3 secs game sound goes away too, i could alt tab, and than all desktop stopped working too. Music was playin for next 10 secs, and than stopped too (or maybe not i dont remember, coz i was too upset, coz i've sold the match for enemy by this lag session). After some time all things went normal.
And aimp said to me - would you like to UPDATE? I said - f-ck no, im upset.
 :(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:29:38 am by DronEll »

DronEll

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 10:30:26 am »
yep, it sill lags for me.
also, last lag i took on stream, lol.
http://ru.justin.tv/lonelylokly/b/289519797 last 10 seconds there. I have said "im stuck, lol" and xsplit goes offline right after the game.
After 2-3 secs game sound goes away too, i could alt tab, and than all desktop stopped working too. Music was playin for next 10 secs, and than stopped too (or maybe not i dont remember, coz i was too upset, coz i've sold the match for enemy by this lag session). After some time all things went normal.
And aimp said to me - would you like to UPDATE? I said - f-ck no, im upset.
 :(

DronEll

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:54 am »
I dunno, whats happening, i cant post or modify, my replay simply wanishes away.
So, here we have a lag caught on stream:
http://ru.justin.tv/lonelylokly/b/289519797
last 10 seconds.
Game screen freezes first
After that xsplit goes offline
After that i use alt tab and all system freezes away.
Ofc, after sometime all things went normal, skype reconnected, xsplit went streaming from a new record (i turned it off and deleted the record coz there was too many nervous screams by my opponents in skype, lol).
I've even stayed ingame, watching game counter.

I turned off xsplit, teamspeak and aimp (this program wasnted to update, maybe that matters?) and i could finish the game without any lags (but that was short, we've lost in 10 mins).

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 08:32:58 am »
Hi again,

The real problem is trying to find out exactly what is causing this problem and as always this comes down to testing.

Although I don't believe it is a basic hardware error it would be worth checking your RAM by running Memtest which you can download from here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html Running this test will do no harm but will confirm if your RAM is OK.

Next check your HDD's especially your Samsung drive and see if there is a firmware update for them. Not knowing how you have installed your OS and other programmes it is hard to pinpoint what is going on but if you have files or programmes on the Samsung drive, which is a "Green" drive this could be the problem as they can lead to slow access times, as they spindown when not being used, which maybe what is happening in your case. If you installed Windows on to the Samsung HDD this could be the reason why everything hangs.

The next step would be to run DPC Latency Checker which you can download from here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml to see if you can find the cause of the latency.

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 01:21:36 am »
Hi DronEll,

I did not read all the posts in your thread but I figured this might be of some help. I have the same board as you, only different components.

You can use it to compare. For example, my Temperature #3 is 41C, which is much lower than yours, but I also removed and replaced the thermal grease which might help you bring down that temperature.

Cheers,
Mike

DronEll

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »
Although I don't believe it is a basic hardware error it would be worth checking your RAM by running Memtest which you can download from here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html Running this test will do no harm but will confirm if your RAM is OK.
This again, okay. Should i use all my 4 at once, or split it to 2 for each test?

Next check your HDD's especially your Samsung drive and see if there is a firmware update for them.
My HDDs are Hitachi HUA721050KLA330 and Samsung HD154UI and there is no firmware updates or whatsoever for them, you can check it by yourself.

Not knowing how you have installed your OS and other programmes it is hard to pinpoint what is going on but if you have files or programmes on the Samsung drive, which is a "Green" drive this could be the problem as they can lead to slow access times, as they spindown when not being used, which maybe what is happening in your case. If you installed Windows on to the Samsung HDD this could be the reason why everything hangs.
as they spindown when not being used, which maybe what is happening in your case.
I know about that. Ofc i have no programs or whatsoever on it. I use it to storage video, distributives and other tons of usefull stuff i need. And i know about spindown, and yes, it happens. I can see a two-three seconds lag afrer i addres to it, and i can hear, how it turns on and start working.
And yes, my lags are some kind of a same, but just a waaaaaay longer.
And yet again, i had those lags even with solo Hitachi installed, or solo old maxtor.

The next step would be to run DPC Latency Checker which you can download from here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml to see if you can find the cause of the latency.
will do it soon.

Good news from aside: now i have basicly two AM3 PC's, actually, im so upset, im thinking about swapping all my parts on other motherboard, and if it will work well i will... i dunno even what to do than. =(

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 08:00:07 am »
The best way to test your RAM is to insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 complete loops/cycles and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.

If you have any errors then the module(s) is (are) faulty and you will have to return the whole RAM kit as they are matched.

DronEll

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 01:21:28 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/JVnGy.jpg that is latency checker status for the time i woke up (it was two hours ago).
http://imgur.com/pLEJT that happend just a few minuts ago. I've added some new music to the AIMP, opend new tab in browser and browser stucked, i've went to check hdds, as soon as i addresed to my C:\ (which is Hitachi with system installed on it), a seek bar in windows7 was moving verrry slowly to the end (it is also a place, where destonation is writen like this C:\Program Files\AMD but with dumb ">", the real path appers only if i click on it).
But that is not the heavyest lag i had, and yes, it was kinda same as "green samsung spindowns", but it is not it coz i was working with Samsung for last half of an hour, so he has no chance to spindown (it happens after 10-20 mins of stand by, and i can clearly hear if it happens).
Anyway, there is a stronger lags, it happens during gaming, for example, and ill keep Latency checker up to catch that lag.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:23:15 pm by DronEll »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:43 pm »
Hi again,

Have you made any changes to the Power Options in Windows 7? If not it would be worth checking these settings especially the ones for the HDD

make sure this is set to never, so that the HDD(s) don't shutdown when idle. Also check other Power Setting Options to see if Windows or another programme (such as ATI's Catalyst Control Centre) is turning off or throttling back other items in your system.

DronEll

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:30 pm »
hdd power was on 20mins, now on Never, but i already did it some time ago, and it didnt help. Set it on "Never" again anyway. Also, i've found in NVIDIA settings something about power supplying, it was set on "adaptive", for now its on the only one another position: allways full energy. Sory for bad translation, since i have not an english nvidia drivers, i cant tell you exacly what lines i've changed.