Official GIGABYTE Forum

Troubleshooting components.

Troubleshooting components.
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:09:18 am »
OK, in hindsight I was an idiot but I wanted to do something quickly. Using my Odin GT (800W) I wanted to use a 12V line to run 12V DC. I accidentally shorted the 5V and 12V lines. At the time I didn't realise what I was doing. The PSU would start, then shut down. Presumably a fail safe feature. A few days later I came to use the PC and it wouldn't run. No post, nothing. Now I need to find out what part/s I have fried.

The symptoms are no CPU fan running and no post. I don't hear any beeps. The CPU temp L2 LED is red  :o. Other peripherals seem to be running (HDD, DVD, GPU) and voltage from the PSU into the CPU connector is 12V. I don't notice any fried components on the MB and the CPU 'looks' OK to me (paste looked OK as well.).

Obviously replacing things simply to see if they work is going to be costly so I wondered if there are things I can check first. My system is i7 965, EX58 extreme motherboard, 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 (1866mhz) and the Odin GT PSU.

If anyone can shed some light on what I've done, most grateful. System was going great for a few years until my boo-boo. Lesson learned.