Official GIGABYTE Forum

"GA-870A-UD3 (Rev 3.0) : No Beeps, No Video Display, No evidence of Post

GW

On going symptoms after beep codes started working.

While out of the case repeated long beeps, with long pauses between beeps, always occurred.

This was true without any video cards and also with various video cards in various slots  ( on card in one slot for each test ).

CPU fan would run at relatively fast speed the entire time.

The Mother Board manual documents this long beep as:  Graphic Card Not Inserted Properly.

Sat the Mother Board back in the case on top of the standoffs. ( Power supply off and unplugged ).

No video card installed.

Applied power to the power supply and turned on the Mother Board with the jumper.

For the first time the board appeared to post and the CPU appeared to be powered up.

One short beep and after a few seconds the CPU fan slowed down.

After several minutes The CPU socket ( the small portion left exposed ) and the heat sink became slightly warm to the touch.
This is the first time this happened with this mother board.

The CPU fan appears to be running between it's long time previous power on speed and the very low speed it slowed down to after the
apparent good post.

Not yet tried rebooting after initial apparent good Power On Self Test ( POST).

GW

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Well on the strength of that it would appear that the GPU is faulty. See if you can borrow another one to test.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

GW

Well on the strength of that it would appear that the GPU is faulty. See if you can borrow another one to test.

Actually I have been testing with four different video card adaptors ( GPUs )...

GW
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:51:37 am by GW »

GW

This one is fixed.

Appears to have been some kind of unknown short between the rear panel cover plate and the Mother Board, but it was not reproducible.

Basically the solution was to pull the mother board out of the case, and configure it outside  the case on a work bench until the beep codes started working,  then reinstall it in the case.

No need to remove the CPU or CPU cooler from the Mother Board as part of isolating the problem / fixing the problem.

It is still early and I am on to testing different RAID Configurations, but as of now this GA-870A-UD3 mother board appears to be working fine.

Here are a couple of links that helped in isolating and fixing the problem:

How to Bench Test Your Mother Board:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f15/how-to-bench-test-your-system-262998.html

Isolating ATX Power Supply problems and related circuit faults:

http://www.aitechsolutions.net/pchwtrblsht.html

cheers,

GW

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Well I am glad to hear that you managed to fix this problem in the end. It is not the first time I have heard of a backplate shorting to the chassis but it is unusual.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Have you tried putting the basic components together on a cardboard box rather than inside the PC Case? This kind of thing could just be due to a simple short between motherboard and chassis.

As I advised right at the start! ;)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Hi absic as they say there are none so deaf as those that don't want to hear. Often people just can't see the logic and so don't want to use the advice.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

jolphil

Hi Absic
As I advised right at the start! Wink
While reading thru this thread I was thinking exactly the very same thing..
It must be human nature as DM pointed out..We are all like that..
jolphil