Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 Living Review

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 Living Review
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2013, 10:11:55 am »
I bought this kit from a local Maplins shop for £4.99. Best money I have spent on PC parts. If you are in UK you can find it here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/motherboard-testing-switch-set-98842
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2015, 01:51:28 am »
hey, i know this is an old thread, but i have a question that doesnt seem to be answered clearly...
about to build machine based around this board
if my main disk with OS is two SSD in raid0, should i use the marvell controller, or the amd controller?
if amd controller, should i use sata3_0 and sata3_1 for the two ssd?
and should i flash my bios to latest before i actually start my raid array?
hope OP is still around!

PS, this is the most insightful board review i have ever seen! wish all boards had living reviews!
thanks so much!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:59:03 am by soybomber »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2015, 06:00:51 am »
Hi there,

I would recommend using the AMD controller for your RAID array, using the SATA ports you have stated.

When it comes to the BIOS I would also update this to the latest version prior to actually building your PC and setting things up.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2015, 11:44:40 pm »
thank you so much BTW. i got everything going. cant install windows 7 though. windows doesnt recognize the raid array, and asks for drivers. refusing the ones ive downloaded from gigabyte's site. this is driving me crazy. not sure how you did it yourself so easily

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2015, 01:11:33 pm »
Sorry to see you are having problems.

A couple of quick questions for you:
What revision is your motherboard?
Is the BIOS UEFI?
Are you trying to install the OS from a DVD or via a USB pendrive?

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2015, 05:38:26 pm »
MB is rev 3.1. bios is UEFI. first tried installing from pirate win7 on usb. no luck. so bought win7 home premium 64. same problem.  since i built this rig in a very tight 3u server case and didnt want to take everything apart (yes, i know i should have tested everything before installing in case. live and learn), so i have left the raid array on first two amd sata connections, and set up the dvd on external usb connection (seems to work fine), and have tried first, a new seagate 4tb drive on the marvell controller(windows saw it, but wouldnt install on it), then thinking maybe the drive was too big and new to use, swapped it with an old working 600gb drive. wiped it, put on new partition and formated... no luck.
"setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition. see the setup log files for more information"

i had really hoped that i could install windows on the HDD, install drivers for raid array. copy boot drive image onto raid array, and go from there. but i cant seem to install on anything.

thanks for taking the time to help BTW
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:40:15 pm by soybomber »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2015, 07:15:58 pm »
Soybomber, please check your PM's