Official GIGABYTE Forum

External HDD comes up as disc 0

External HDD comes up as disc 0
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:49 am »
mobo is Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G   processor is Intel Core 2 Duo
PC op sys is Win XP SP3

External drive is 1TB Western Digital My Book

My C:\ system drive is connected to Sata  port 0 on the mobo
I have two raid data drives connected to a pci raid controller card.

I have a Esata to Sata adapter with two ports  connected to Sata ports 1 and 2 on the mobo

The WD exteral drive is connected to the adapter with a 3 foot long  esata cable.  The esata cable is connected to the adapter port that is connected to sata port 1 on the mobo.

However in when I check drive management  it lists the WD external drive as disc 0 ... the system drive as disc 1... and the raid drives as disc 2.

Do I have the  esata/sata connection wrong or is this possibly an incorrect setting in bios.

Everything works.. but when the computer is booting  up  right after the Windows logo goes away... the light on the external drive cycles up and down about 50 times before the boot process completes and the desktop appears.  It's almost as if the PC expects the operating system to be on the external drive  because it's designated as drive 0... and it looks for the OS for about  45 seconds then moves on to the c drive.

If anyone can tell me how to fix this slow boot process I would be forever grateful.  Thanks in advance for any help.