Official GIGABYTE Forum

Over Clocking Newbie =] help!!!! - GA-790XTA-UD4

Over Clocking Newbie =] help!!!! - GA-790XTA-UD4
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:51:35 am »
Ive been on a handful sites and forums and i still dont trust myself enough to overclock my 970phenom. Im not sure on everything that i need to do... 4.0ghz sounds nice but will this affect the longevity of my cpu?? I thank you for anyone's input or time with this matter. ;D

I have
Antec 80+ true power 650
amd970 phenom
gtx570
2x 2gb sticks of xms3 4gb total at 1333
asus dx soundcard
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:54:27 am by absic »

Re: Over Clocking Newbie =] help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 10:57:04 am »
oh yea i have a  GA-790XTA-UD4 (Socket M2) motherboard!!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:30 am »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You might like to read through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3637.0.html as I go into details of overclocking using a BE processor.

Once you have looked through that, if you have any specific questions then we'll do our best to help and guide you through the process of getting the most from your CPU.

Overclocking any component on your PC will affect their lifespan, as you are putting the parts through more stress than they are normally meant to go through. However, this doesn't mean that if you put your CPU upto 4.0GHz it will fall over much sooner than one left at stock and I have seen CPU's run quite happily for 3 years+ when O/C'd.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:07:43 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:19:12 pm »
Thanks!
1. i have a aftermarket cpu cooler. cooler-master hyper n520.
2.i read that to achieve 4.0+ghz on BE's you need to be at 1.45 voltage i checked mine and im at 1.40 is that high?
3. I heard people at 3.8ghz were stable at 1.35. Could i try lower or is that whats required for my motherboard??
4.it idles between 30 & 35c depending on my room.  28c when its chilly in my room.

1.should i up the voltage before i move the multiplier up???
2.Also i play alot of cpu intensive games for hours so i just wanna make sure i dont crash while im playing!!
3.Dont know if that means anything or not..?
4. Whats cmos and how do i clear it??  ???
5. Do you use EasyTune6??? if so how??

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:46:18 pm »

Jlynch85

READ!...........  http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3637.0.html ........you will be amazed what you will learn if you read it twice!

The better your cooling the better the chance of long life!..........I have/had a water cooled Q6600 that was clocked 20 odd % and after 4 years and thousands of hours.......still  works a treat!

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »
OK let's start with the easy questions first.

Easytune6 is not something I or any one seriously into overclocking would use. If you wish to use software for overclocking then AMD Overdrive is probably better. When Overclocking it is much better to do so from within BIOS. Although it takes longer to reach your targets you have much more control and therefore can choose what is best for your system.

Clearing CMOS is fairly easy and you can find how to do that here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2286.0.html

The question of CPU Speed vs the amount of Voltage to achieve it, is something only you can eventually decide. The faster you go with the processor usually the more Voltage is needed. The problem with this is that the more Voltage you use, the hotter things become and the shorter the lifespan of the components you're stressing. (Back to one of your original questions there.) Getting 3.8GHz at 1.35V or thereabouts is a nice target as it gives you a speed increase but you are still well within the Voltage range of the CPU.

Getting 4.0GHz or above you may need to increase the Voltage but this should be done gradually, in small steps. Yes, your system will fall over (BSOD) until you find the optimum settings but whacking things up to a predetermined amount could lead to you further issues and is not advisable.

The best advice I can offer is that you leave your voltages at default (AUTO) while you increase the CPU Multiplier. Doing this you should be able to reach 3.8GHz without too many problems and your voltages should remain fairly low. Once you have established the 3.8GHz make a note of the voltage that it is running at and then manually set this in BIOS so it doesn't alter. If everything is stale you will then have a couple of choices.

Gradually reduce the voltage on the CPU run some tests and repeat the Voltage reduction test cycle until it falls over. then return the voltage to the lowest fully working setting.

Start to increase the CPU Multiplier and test. If the system BSOD's leave the multiplier alone and slightly increase the Voltage. Test again. This process can be quite time consuming and is not something to be rushed. What you're trying to get with this is the fastest CPU Speed with the minimum working and stable voltage. Remember though, as you increase the speed of the CPU Multiplier you will also probably need to tweak other settings in BIOS such as Northbridge frequency and voltages.

You will also probably have to keep an eye on your RAM Speed as, when you increase speed in other areas this too will increase. If you haven't done so then I would advise you to read this: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html with reference to RAM and your CPU.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »
Well im at 3.9ghz with a voltage level of 1.392    Woohoo! Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated im gonna see if i can take the voltage down any further.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:14:55 am »
Well done! ;)

You may be able to get the voltage down a little more but remember, this again is a process of trial and error.
It is always a good idea to make notes (or take photos) of your BIOS settings so you can recover them easily if needed and also to act as a reminder in the future. After a couple of months it can be very difficult to remember exactly what settings you have altered and a history of what you do is also useful for future overclocking attempts.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:35:41 am »
I'm at 4.0ghz now =]  She wont let me go any lower then  1.424v.. i tried to run 3dmark11 at 1.400v and it wouldn't run the benchmark i could open it but now run it. Thats what i was using to test my system for stability.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:38:40 am »
on another note tho. my hyper n520 can not keep this thing very cool it idles at 38c  to 40c now. So i went out and bought the hyper 212+ like i should of in the first place but the dude at frys talked me into getting the "newer one" bought a second fan also to add on