Official GIGABYTE Forum

Overlock CPU with AMD 945 125W

rabinzx

• I am lazy
Overlock CPU with AMD 945 125W
« on: December 11, 2011, 09:16:59 pm »
Hey guys I have been using this computer little over a year. Recently purchased a new RAM and Two SSD, now I am ready to dig a little deeper of this true potential.
I am aware that the AMD 945 comes with two version (125w and 95w), since I bought mine in Oct 2010, I think it is 125w.
note: still using stock cpu fan, and live in CA(not too hot or too cold)

I am not looking for some crazy number, I have seen people with same or lower setup made it to 3.6ghz, and keep Temp at 60
Just looking for some tips and idea how to overclock it. (BIOS is latest version)

detail info of my rig is in signature.

Mobo: GIGABYTE 890GPA-UD3H  Ver 2.0
BIOS: FF (2010/11/24)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
RAM: CML16GX3M4A1600C9
Vid: Radeon HD 5770
HardDrive: SSD 2 x Agility3 60GB

rabinzx

• I am lazy
Re: Overlock CPU with AMD 945 125W
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:20:40 am »
so now I have three options:
1. manually from BIOS
2. use EasyTune6 from Motherboard manufacture
3. use Amd overDrive, which one should I go?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:57 am »
Hi and welcome.

I don't understand why you have put motherboard/laptop in your sig. It is a bit confusing and would suggest changing it.

Anyway there is only one true way to overclock and that is through the BIOS. You won't find any real overclocker using a software tool to try and overclock although they might use them as reporting programs etc.

I will leave it to one of the AMD guys to help you on the actual technicallities as I am more an Intel man. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:41 am »
Hi there,

as DM has said, the best way to go about overclocking a system is doing so through BIOS. This gives you total control over teh parameters being set and also allows for the overclock to be there from the moment you start your PC.

You don't say which revision your motherboard is but looking through the various revisions and their BIOS I think it must be the rev 2.0. The first thing I would do is update the BIOS to the FF version using QFlash. I wouldn't do this in one step though and would recommend going to FC first and then updating again to the FF. There are several updates that should help with your system and also some updates for the CPU Microcode.

Once you have updated the BIOS and have things running at stock go into BIOS and make a note of the default settings. You will find this invaluable when you start making changes especially as, at some point, the system is bound to fall over and it is easy to forget what changes you have made. It's a good idea to note the changes you make as you go along for the same reason.

With the Phenom ii 945 processor overclocking can be pretty easy. First make sure you have a good cooler as the stock AMD one won't allow you to get very far. In BIOS you need to disable the Core Boost, CoolNQuiet, Thermal Control and other features of a similar nature. Once you have done that you can start to adjust the CPU Ratio under the MIT section of BIOS.
First you need to set it from AUTO to Manual. When you do this it will give you a list of available multipliers X14, X15, X16, etc. If you are lucky they might be in smaller steps such as X15.5, X16, X16.5.
The base clock for the 945 is 3000MHz (if I remember correctly) and this equates to X15 on the multiplier. You need to increase the multiplier to the speed you are looking for but do not do this in one giant leap. If you want to overclock to 3600MHz (X18) then do so in small steps and check the system for stability before increasing the multiplier again. Continue this process of increase multiplier, test until the system crashes. This will either be a BSOD when loading or in Windows or a failure to POST/BOOT with an overclock warning.
Clear CMOS, go back into BIOS and reset things to the last know settings (you should find this easy if you have kept the notes I mentioned before) and this will give you the maximum overclock at default voltage and other settings. This may be all you want or need and you can stop at this stage.

If, however you want to try and increase the speed further you will then need to look at increasing voltages to the CPU and possibly other parts of the motherboard. Remember that increasing the voltage through a component will increase the heat being produced, hence the need for good cooling on the CPU and throughout the system. When increasing the CPU Voltage, care should again been taken not to make large adjustments. This stage of overclocking can be time consuming and you may find that you are having to reset CMOS on a regular basis to get things stable.

Another area to consider is the NorthBridge Frequency. This will most probably be at 2000MHz (x2 which gives 4000MHz) and this may need to be increased along with the increase in CPU speed.

Sadly, there are no hard and fast rules for any of this, as each PC build will have slightly different components, which is why overclocking is called an art not a science. What works on your friend's PC will almost definitely not work on your own, so it is really a case of trial and error until you are happy with the speed and stability of your own rig.

Make sure you use good monitoring software to keep an eye on CPU and System Temps and voltages. HW Monitor, CPU-Z, CoreTemp are usually pretty reliable and are the ones that I favour. Although I am talking about the 1090T CPU in this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3637.0.html you might find some useful pointers in it.

If you have any specific questions then post back and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

rabinzx

• I am lazy
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »
Sorry about the confusion,  I copied my signature from OCZ's forum. I have updated my info. I am using the 2.0version mobo, and have flashed it to latest FF BIOS.

Thank you for your detail explanation absic. That really helps me a lot. Yesterday I was doing it by myself while watching the tutorial on youtube.
I think you got confusion with my 945 with 955 BE.

In 955EB, it is easier, just change the multiplier to a higher one.
But in 945, the highest multiplier is default number, which is x15.

That is why I tried changing the FSB from 200 to 240. (240 x 15 = 3600) , also tried 250 (250 x 5 = 3750)  The 240 seems more stable. I know I have to run some Stress test such as Prime95(something like that).

I understand the difficult of changing the FSB because it also change HT Link Frequency (default is 200mhz x 10 = 2000) and the frequency of memory (my memory default frequency is 1600mhz. If CPU is set to 3.6ghz, then memory multiplier is x5.55. If CPU is 3.75, then x 4.0)
I have also read the warning in the BIOS says, " HT Link Frequency is higher than Northbridge, then HT Link Frequency will be changed back to default"

BTW, I have heard about clear CMOS many times, I remember came cross the subject when I was reading the mobo manual.
Is that dangerous to do so, what are the odds it would damage the mobo?

And would kind of Fan would you suggest, Can you help me pick one from Newegg.com?  I am using a mid tower, but it should have enough space.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:15 am »
Clearing CMOS should not cause any long-term problems if done properly, and the reality is, you probably won't have to do it more than a few times anyway.

Sorry about my mistake, yes I did get confused with the 955BE. With the 945, things are a little harder to tweak and you need to remember that increasing the speed of the CPU will also increase the speed of the RAM. Therefore it would be better to initially drop the RAM speed to 1066MHz as this will give you room to manoeuvre.

If you are increasing the CPU Northbridge frequency then the HT Link Frequency should stay at 2000MHz which will be the Auto setting so you shouldn't have too much of a problem. This warning applies if you try to increase the HT Link frequency above the CPU Northbridge Frequency which it can be easy to do when trying to squeeze extra speed from the system. As you increase the CPU Northbridge Frequency, it is a good idea to slightly increase the HT Link frequency but doing this means you may also have to slightly increase the Voltage for these parts of the system for improved stability.

If you are looking for a 3rd party Air Cooler for your CPU then there are plenty to choose from. Personally, I favour Noctua and have the NH-D14 but this is pretty expensive. A lot of user's swear by the Hyper 212 but I haven't had any personal experience of this so do not really know how good they are. The best advice I can offer here is to find one that you can afford and post back with a link, then I, or other member's can say if it is a good buy or offer others for a similar price.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

rabinzx

• I am lazy
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:54:36 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I get the memory part. But I did not quiet understand the Northbridge and CPU frequency.
Should I increase both CPU and Northbridge frequency or just one of them? If this is just one of them, which one is better.

I have tried increase it 3.6G(240x15), and change the multiplier of memory, it will end up with 1599 (my memory is 1600), which is prefect.
The normal voltage in the BIOS is 1.35v, under 3.6Ghz, the real voltage is 1.34, prefect again (no need to increase voltage)

but I think it also change the frequency of HT Link Frequency even it is set as Auto. If I change my CPU to 3.6, how much should the HT Link Frequency be ?

Btw, I will probably buy the Hyper 212 Plus (its a plus version), it only cost $25on newegg. (plus you can stack one above another).
Since I am going to hit some crazy speed like 4.2 (on youtube). 3.6 is just slightly increase the heat.
I ran a Stress test , the Temp goes up from 30 to 45, and stay there (with stock cooling fan)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 11:25:47 am »
Sorry for the confusion.
The CPU Northbridge Frequency is the one you need to adjust to increase the speed of the processor.
The HT Link Frequency can help improve stability when you overclock the CPU.

By default both of these when set to Auto will probably be the same (2000MHz) If you increase the speed of the CPU Northbridge Frequency to 3600MHz then you may find that increasing the HT Link Frequency slightly may improve things. The thing here is that you mustn't increase the HT Link Frequency above the Northbridge frequency or the system will fall over and reset itself. Also, adjusting the HT Link Frequency can have an adverse affect if it is raised too much. Again, this is really a trial and error process and maybe increasing the HT Link Frequency to 2100MHz or 2200MHz will help whereas increasing to 2300MHz may cause problems. Also increasing the HT Link Frequency may require you to slightly increase the voltage to this part of the system.

If/when you get the Hyper 212+ don't forget to let us know how it works on your system.

rabinzx

• I am lazy
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 02:53:59 am »
1. I dont thnnk I can change northbridge. the maxium multiplier is default, which is 10
2. The Northbridge frequency and HT link frequency is always the same. If I change cpu frequence to 240, both of them will become 2400.
3. What I did was lower the multiplier of HT link from 10 to 9.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:56:38 am by rabinzx »

rabinzx

• I am lazy
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 02:58:44 am »
fianlly i am able to stablize it at 3.75Ghz.

DarkstaR

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »
Well done !!  ;)
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
Seasonic X-460 FL (fanless) 80+ Gold