Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 issues (need quick answers)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 issues (need quick answers)
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:01 pm »
Hi all, I got this information from Gigabyte UK. and I did try and post it earlier but for some reason it doesn't seem to be showing.

Since this CPU AMD 1090T X6 supports CPb function (AMD turbo core boost) when all cores run at full loading it does not reach the designated assigned Voltage Pb0. (due to CPb features). Note by absic:- this applies to all the multicore processors not just the 1090T

Using Super PI testing one core full loading test software and it can reach the designated Vcore Pb0.

We have tested Asus M5A99X EVO and has the same outcome under full loading.

For a better understanding of how AMD's Turbo Core works you might like to look at this post: http://tech.icrontic.com/news/amds-dynamic-overclocking-turbo-core/ which goes into the subject a little bit.

I apologise if you can see the original posting of this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Lordred

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »
However As I have stated, I have Turbo Core disabled (always)

(It would seem your post wishes to remain hidden. Inless Quoted)

Edit: I have the return setup with newegg, but I have 14 days to get it to them (9 to be safe) Which is the time I will allot to seeing if my mind can be changed on the VRM performance.

Hi all, I got this information from Gigabyte UK. and I did try and post it earlier but for some reason it doesn't seem to be showing.

Since this CPU AMD 1090T X6 supports CPb function (AMD turbo core boost) when all cores run at full loading it does not reach the designated assigned Voltage Pb0. (due to CPb features). Note by absic:- this applies to all the multicore processors not just the 1090T

Using Super PI testing one core full loading test software and it can reach the designated Vcore Pb0.

We have tested Asus M5A99X EVO and has the same outcome under full loading.

For a better understanding of how AMD's Turbo Core works you might like to look at this post: http://tech.icrontic.com/news/amds-dynamic-overclocking-turbo-core/ which goes into the subject a little bit.

I apologise if you can see the original posting of this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:11:53 pm by Lordred »

Lordred

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2011, 07:07:43 pm »
NM, you fixed it.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »
lol, I have been fighting this since around midday and can't find out what is going wrong. I'm not even sure if this will show up!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Lordred

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »
lol, I have been fighting this since around midday and can't find out what is going wrong. I'm not even sure if this will show up!

I'm sorry its giving you such a rough time.   However it should be noted that Gigabytes image you recived is only showing load, and when you have Turbo Mode on, the idle voltage is increased.

A proper test would be to have all power saving and state changing features off (Al-la Turbo, C&Q, C1E disabled) as for Overclocking, and full stress opperation like Folding (something I do often) My CPU will be running at 100% TDP for 72 hours straight. Which is why I want the board with the lowest ammount of Vdroop possible, so I can set the Vcore and VID as low as possible with the CPU Speed as high as possible, and keep the load and temps down on the VRM's.

Protein Folding is something near and dear to me. I have lost family members to Alzheimer's, Leukemia, and Renal cell carcinoma. All of which folding offers the slimist of hopes of helping to find a cure for.

:D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:19:59 pm by Lordred »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:50 pm »
Well, although I don't seem to be able to resolve your Mobo problem I can definitely say that you seem to have solved mine with regards to posting in this thread.... thanks.  :D

On a side note, I did play around a little with O/C'ing and checking voltages etc. on my system and although I didn't go as high as you are aiming at I did hit 3.8GHz,  although the VCore dropped from the 1.45V I had set it to in BIOS down to 1.38V the system was stable. I used Heavyload to stress the system for over an hour and the CPU temp never went above 39C and the voltage stayed at 1.38V throughout the test.

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
when turbo is enable the vid goes to 1.475v which is normal...

if your wanting a proper overclock, u need to disable Turbo, C&Q, C1E .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:54:31 pm by gareth170 »

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »
I'm having issues with the 990FXA-UD5 too.
I have a X2 555 BE that unlocked 4 cores perfectly on my older MA-770T-UD3P board, no issues even after running several stress tests at the same time over the course of a day. It was rock solid and now I can't unlock the cores with the UD5 without it freezing or BSOD.

I've checked around and found another guy with the same issue on another forum, he switched to a competitor board and the unlock was faultless.
I'm thinking it may have something to do with the voltage drop. Would appreciate any feedback and I'm going to try the new 5B bios once I receive it.

Thanks for any help you can give.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2011, 07:51:26 am »

Yes, I agree and part of the Overclocking process is finding the voltages that are stable if you want to push all the cores in the CPU rather than just a few. That is what I did during my brief tests yesterday. I allowed for the VDrop by increasing the baseline to 1.45V and the voltage dropped, under load, as expected but stayed constant throughout an hours stressing with HeavyLoad.

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
Thanks for looking into it absic. Hope theres some more news soon.

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2011, 10:36:55 am »

Yes, I agree and part of the Overclocking process is finding the voltages that are stable if you want to push all the cores in the CPU rather than just a few. That is what I did during my brief tests yesterday. I allowed for the VDrop by increasing the baseline to 1.45V and the voltage dropped, under load, as expected but stayed constant throughout an hours stressing with HeavyLoad.

the problem i'm having is i need 1.425v under load for 4ghz to be fully stable,  if i set it to 1.45v it'll drop to 1.408v under load, if i set it to 1.475v it'll drop to 1.440v which is ok but the idle voltage is 1.520v which is bad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 10:58:39 am by gareth170 »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
OK I have some further information which hopefully will explain things a little more.

The 990FXA-UD5 will have Vcore drop from 1.344V to 1.296V under loading even when Core Performance Boost and Power Saving options are off. (absic note - I would guess this applies to all of the 9 series boards but it is only a guess)

Earlier 7 and  8 series motherboards don't suffer from this because the motherboard hardware on these does not have load line calibration design.

The 9 series motherboards do and follow AMD's AM3+ design guide line for LLC.

I also had a chat with AMD in the UK today and they confirmed that this board is operating within their specified voltage range and how they would expect it to. They also told me that they do not recommend Overclocking, so ..... nothing new there!  :D

They also stated that If you disable the Turbo Core Feature the CPU Voltage will drop to around 1.30V. This is because, unlike using Turbo Core you are attempting to run all of the cores at a stated value whereas, for example on the X6 processors, Turbo Core actually disables 3 of the cores and only uses the remaining ones for the speed gain. Lowering the voltage across the processor when all the cores are enabled, is done by design to help protect the CPU and is not a fault.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2011, 04:34:55 pm »
Nicely worked out in the end Absic and as you said it would sound like this is across the board(no pun intended) even with other manufacturer's offerings then. Anyway I am sure that it will clear up this issue for a few people who were having problems with it. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2011, 04:40:30 pm »
Thanks have to go to Ken at Gigabyte UK and also the guys at AMD who have helped me understand what is happening and why. Without their help I would still be struggling for answers.  ;)

iSeries

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 09:44:01 pm »
So if this is a feature, shouldn't we have an option to turn this feature off? Also if is basically a new feature with these 990FXA boards, why isn't there any mention of it on their website or in the manuals?

Also about the assertion that this is happening due to a new LLC design, I thought LLC was designed to counter vdroop, not cause it!