Official GIGABYTE Forum

Will Gigabyte release new BIOSes that unlock only one core instead of two?

Tryby

Re: Will Gigabyte release new BIOSes that unlock only one core instead of two?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 09:20:01 am »
Hello,
For the mainboard Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H what bios sould i install in order to have the "core control option"
Now i`m having bios version F3, but i see some F4, F4B and F5A. Which one should i install?

P.S: F4B and F5A are beta versions, are these ok?
Thanks.

L.E: The version F4B i found on the arabic site of gigabyte. On the other gigabyte wesites F4B don`t appear, but there is F5B.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 09:26:53 am by Tryby »

Beekeeper

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »
i would try F4 first as it's not beta. if no such option then go with the beta F5A

yes F4B and F5A, F5B are all betas.  beta bios is always marked by letter after the digit.
“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Tryby

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »
Beekeeper thanks for answer.
The F4 version (not beta one) is only for rev 1.1, i have rev 1.0 for this motherboard.
The F4B is available only here:
http://arabic.english.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3154
If i`ll install it ... i guess that that BIOS will be in english language? Or arabic?
The F5A is available here:
http://www.gigabyte.lv/products/mb/bios/ga-ma785gt-ud3h_10.html
But for the F5A it doesen`t any available specification that it adds that core control option in BIOS.

For the gigabyte website available for my country ... the latest BIOS version available is F4 ... but only for 1.1. For 1.0 it`s available only F3.

Beekeeper

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 04:11:17 pm »
hmm ???, F4 is listed as BIOS for rev.1.0:
http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3154
so it should work with this Rev. - the only limitation is that you will not have EuP support. but gigabyte bioses have usually more fixes than the one(s) listed at the website.

now i can see F4B being described as "Add CPU Core Control option" so this version for sure has it. all bioses are english, so no worry

as F4 and F5A are newer than F4B so they should also have this function implemented

good luck mate :)

“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”

Tryby

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:20 pm »
So if i`ll install F4 it will work? I won`t mess something over here?

Tryby

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 07:11:43 pm »
OK, i updated my BIOS to F4 ... but i only have the option to disable Core 2 or Core 3, or both 2 and 3. I need to disable Core 0 ... is there a posibility that in the future BIOS release to have this option integrated there?
Thanks a lot.

P.S: I saw a bug there, under Core Control i have to choose between disable and "manaul".

Goozy

Hi,

I have the same issue, I need to disable the core 1 but only core 2 and 3 can be disabled.

An update of the Core control feature could be great for many users.

Thx

PS sorry for my english

Agreed, I don't understand why they will not fix this. If asus can do it then I am sure Giga can do it. For me personally it is core 1 after unlocking that needs disabled. It does not make any sense to me that the cores that you can disable are the 2 good cores......

MA790FXT-UD5P
Phenom II 550 BE

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I must admit that it was news to me that it couldn't be done on Gigabyte boards. I just assumed that it was an option, I don't know why they haven't made it available.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 11:23:08 am »
Essentially, Gigabyte said that it will store the old microcode in the secondary BIOS chip, and allow you to do normal BIOS updates on the primary chip. Does this mean that you can't have a backup firmware of your latest BIOS should the first chip corrupt? Gigabyte told us no. The company has upgraded its BIOS chips to be able to store extra information.

The secondary BIOS chip will still backup your BIOS as usual, but have room for the old AMD microcode. When you update your BIOS, your system will boot using the new BIOS code but it will be injected with the old AMD microcode, allowing you to continue to unlock your CPU cores