Official GIGABYTE Forum

Unlocking Phenom II X2 550 BE Might be possible ?

Unlocking Phenom II X2 550 BE Might be possible ?
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:15 pm »
Hi, i've been reading some topics around here about people trying to unlock the processors 4 cores. I know about the faulty cores or the faulty controller they might have and how they work. I have a GA-MA790X-UD3P and  what i did was to update my BIOS to F6 and then I unlocked them by setting the option on Hybrid and pumping the voltage to 1.4250 tops ( worked on 1.4000 but with the same problem that i will explain next ). By the way, it still won't work even if you manually disable core 2 or core 3.

Ok, so far so good, i load my settings, EC firmware updates, computer starts again and now shows i have Phenom II X4 BE50 processor. Now, as far as i can figure out from reading other threads and topics on other forums, this processor with this codename never existed as end-user purchasable processor, so that might give people a clue to why some may work and some may not work. ( Just trying to help some folks out )

Now, the problem starts when windows 7 logo pops up and the computer never moves past it, and this is where i'm simply lost. If the Motherboard did not spit it out and if the BIOS recognizes the processor, and if there is no hardware issue at start-up why does Windows log-on freeze, what can't it move past? I don't understand that and hope someone will be able to explain it. Oh, and by the way, if it won't work like that, could it work with a fresh install of Windows after you unlock the 4 cores ?  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:47:14 am by runn3R »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Unlocking Phenom II X2 550 BE Might be possible ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:13:41 pm »
Hi there,

I have to say that I do not know the answer to this one as, like you, I would have felt that if everything seems to be working OK in BIOS and all the hardware is recognised, the OS should load.

If I were in your position I would probably try a clean install of Windows, just in case it is stopping because it doesn't recognise the PC configuration now. Although I don't understand why this should be.

Another thing to try, if you don't want to reinstall Windows just yet,  is to try using a bootable Linux Distro from a USB Pendrive or CD and see if that works. If it does, you can be pretty sure that it is an issue with Windows not the unlocked CPU or your other hardware.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:31 pm »
I'll go for a fresh install and see what happens so stay tuned, if it works, there may be a chance yet for other people that have tried unlocking them.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:59:52 pm »
Yes, I'm sure others will appreciate knowing how you get on. Goodluck!
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.