Official GIGABYTE Forum

P67A-UD3 Start up and Shut down issues - Stability testing

zish1

P67A-UD3 Start up and Shut down issues - Stability testing
« on: July 03, 2011, 07:19:23 pm »
Hi Guys, I have the following issues with my newly built pc and I'm not sure how to investigate this next, any advice would be much appreciated! I've built plenty of pcs before but this set of issues has me stumped:

1. When booting into windows, desktop and everything come up fine but sometimes the USB mouse and keyboard just aren't active. Nine times out of ten I boot into windows perfectly and the mouse and keyboard work fine, just occasionally they fail. I'm using the standard windows 7 drivers for them.

2. When shutting down, windows 7 will go to the shutting down message (after the logging out message) but seems to get stuck. No hard drive activity, it just hasn't actually switched things off. Again 9 times out of 10 there are no problems then occasionally this occurs.

3. When playing games like 'dawn of war chaos rising' or 'civ v' I get graphics tearing and weird imprints in the background or lots of squares appearing. My GPU isn't overclocked and the game continues to run fine ie doesn't crash to windows but obviously the game is unplayable. This does seem to be case only with resource intense games.

4. Occasionally once I've booted into windows, there's no sound and the speaker symbol has a mute and I can't get it make any noise as it says no soundcard plugged in. This is rarer than the keboard/mouse failling but is also an odd one.

Some notes on my own stability/stress testing and general investigations:

A. I can run furmark solidly and the temp stabilises about 75 degrees celcius on my ATI HD4850. No tearing, no freezing, no problems really. Furmark runs very happily.

B. I can run prime95 for ages, cpu is solid, including the different varients to stress the memory more etc.

C. I can run burnin test in various configs to stress RAM/GPU and it never fails or reports any errors.

D. I don't get any random freezes or anything like that. Once windows is working then it's nice and slick. Nothing is overclocked and the bios is set to fail safe defaults across everythign.

E. My MB drivers, GPU drivers and windows drivers are all bang up to date.

F. I can't figure out how to reproduce these errors. When they happen, nothing has been changed to prompt them occurring.

My system is:

Windows 7 64 bit.
Gigbayte P67A-UD3-B3 - firmware version F4
Intel i5 2500
2GB RAM
ATI HD4850
Seagate Barricuda 750GB HDD SataII

If I figure this out then I promse to respond to this thread and share!
Any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received.  :)